Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

808 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Mar 13, 2013 11:30 AM by RunningNut3 RSS
Jforce8 Rookie 1 posts since
Mar 12, 2013
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 12, 2013 4:40 PM

Shin Splints

I just began running this week.  I got an app to help me train and didn't realize I was supposed to rest in between days.  I ran Sunday and Monday and felt pretty great, but later Monday began having I believe what is shin splints.  I have tried to read about them and found several causes.  I purchased a new pair of running shoes, I am hoping it's not those.  I'm wondering/hoping I just started out doing too much??  I am curious how long I should wait to run again.  I am eager to continue but don't want to do any damage.  Any experience or thoughts would be appreciated!

• Haselsmasher Legend 513 posts since
    May 25, 2009
    1. Mar 12, 2013 5:00 PM (in response to Jforce8)
    Shin Splints

Hopefully and probably it's your body getting used to things.  For me shin splints are indicative of the fact the shin muscles aren't used to working that hard.  I'd would ice them, and maybe do some weight training with them.  It can be as simple as hanging a plastic shopping bag with a couple of cans of soup in it from your foot - and raising and lowering your foot to strengthen those muscles.  Sometimes taking very long strides can cause them - because your shin muscles have to work so hard from the point your heel strikes until your foot is completely on the ground.  Basically those muscles are restraining the foot from slapping the ground too hard.

I'd ice and maybe give it an extra day - depending on how things feel.  If you did two days in a row one time I doubt anything serious is going on.  If you'd been doing that for weeks (missing rest) then it might be another story.

Jim

"Kick off your high heel sneakers, it's party time."

-- From the song FM by Steely Dan

• ultimatehlth Pro 118 posts since
    Jul 13, 2009
    2. Mar 12, 2013 5:57 PM (in response to Jforce8)
    Shin Splints

You need to rest, ice, elevate and put a compression on. You can also consider Aleve or Advil to decrease inflammation. Once pain subsides you can try again. If you start back too soon you will only exacerbate the problem. Besides the exercise Haselmasher suggested you can try picking up either marbles or a tee-shirt off the floor with your toes repeatedly.

Besides new shoes you need the right shoes for you. Try wetting your feet then walking on cement. Note the shape of your footprints. If you only see the heel and toes you have a high arch. If most of your foot appears you have flat feet. Pick shoes accordingly. You can also try an appropriate shoe insert, I like Superfeet myself. No more shin splints for me.

Lastly, add distance gradually with everyother day off.

Personal Trainer Los Angeles

• RunningNut3 Amateur 9 posts since
    Mar 6, 2013
    3. Mar 13, 2013 11:30 AM (in response to Jforce8)
    Shin Splints

I had shin splints when I first started running and found it was a symptom of heel striking for me. I ended up taking a free Good Form Running class from our local running shop that gave me some tips on how to run and reduce the wear on my body..Was a huge help! Just being aware of the causes can make you run with that in mind. There is a bunch of GFR resources available on the web, check em out.

RunningBrief - Free weekly email digest by runners for runners
    Geek Turned Runner - Blog

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points