Skip navigation

2247 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Mar 24, 2013 8:31 AM by 23AllDayEveryDay RSS
CoachSteve35 Amateur 13 posts since
Mar 1, 2013
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 11, 2013 5:00 PM

How to become a great scorer?

Hello guys,

I'm writing an article to share on my website to teach my readers how to become a dominant scorer! In your opinion, what does a player need to do to become a great scorer?

Is it driving, shooting, posting up? What are the shared characteristics of true scoring machine?

Thanks for time

Coach Steve,

Follow me for advanced basketball tips

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/basketballperformance

Twitter: https://twitter.com/hoopinSteve

• MGlacken Rookie 6 posts since
    Dec 5, 2012
    1. Mar 13, 2013 7:54 AM (in response to CoachSteve35)

What you asking is what makes lebron, durant, or any player a great shooter.  The characteristics are endless.  Fom the height of a player and the area player occupies to speed, quickness and dribbling ability.  I could go on listing skills found in any basketball game. 

The only thing i can think of  that spereates the good from the best is consistancy.  if lebron shot for 30 points but goes 12-35(33%) he would be known as a train wreck.  the way he is as good as he is, is because of his consistancy. 

Put it this way.  What if a kid could shoot three pointers but his shooting percentage is (10%) from that area.  You would not want him to make a last second three pointer.  you would want the player that is known to make a three point shot with a high consistancy like (50%) or better.  

To me, consistancy, the ability to make a shot given the certain peramiters of the defence is what make a scoring machine. 

• 23AllDayEveryDay Pro 155 posts since
    Aug 1, 2011
    2. Mar 24, 2013 8:31 AM (in response to CoachSteve35)

Like the first answer said, consistancy is a big part of being a good scorer. Another thing is being able to score in multiple ways; having a complete offensive skillset. Driving to the hoop, catch and shoot 3s, off the dribble 3s and midrange, some post moves.... Make sure there is no way a defender can shut down all of your scoring options. If they are smaller and quicker than you, be able to score in the post and midrange, or step back to 3 point and shoot over them. If they are slower and bigger, be able ot take them outside and blow by them and get into the paint and score.

Another major thing is confidence. That was my biggest issue. I went from averaging 7 points a game in 7th grade to about 20 ppg in 8th grade. And besides my work over the summer, my biggest change was my confidence. If you dont believe you can score and get by your man, than you wont. You can have all the skills in the world, but if you dont believe in yourself enough to showcase these skills, than it doesnt matter.

So consistancy, ability to score from anywhere, and confidence are the 3 things any scorer needs to be dominant

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points