Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

8368 Views 10 Replies Latest reply: Mar 29, 2013 3:38 AM by gilbertholdings
49newrunner Rookie 2 posts since
Mar 14, 2013
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 14, 2013 7:36 AM

Can't get past a mile

I started the C25K at the end of September 2012. I did it for about 6 weeks (repeating week 4 for 3 weeks) when I wound up with a stress fracture to my ankle. I didn't run again until right after the new year. My problem is that I can't get past 1 mile at a time. I typically run a mile, then walk a bit and run short intervals until I run a total of 2.25 miles out of a 3.2 mile trail I take each day. And the mile interval isn't getting any easier. Is it a mental block?  Should I go back to a certain week in C25K and go by it?  Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I am frustrated.

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,413 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    1. Mar 14, 2013 9:02 AM (in response to 49newrunner)
    Can't get past a mile

It's not clear if you ever finished C25K, but I presume not since the final day is supposed to be 30 minutes of continuous running, if I remember correctly. Presumably you did successfully recover from the stress fracture.  I would suggest one of two things, maybe both. First, slow down.  Go easier on your first mile and you may find you can run continuously for the rest of the run. And/Or, go back to maybe week 4 of C25K and finish the program, keeping in mind my first piece of advice.

Len

Len

• bwhiddon74 Rookie 2 posts since
    Feb 5, 2013
    2. Mar 14, 2013 11:31 AM (in response to lenzlaw)
    Can't get past a mile

Week 4 was a huge mental block for me. Week five was my breakthrough week, because I realized that I could do it:) I don't know how often you're running the course you referred to, but make sure you're giving yourself enough heal-time. For beginners like us, patience is the key. You should rest no less than 48 hours between runs. I personally have been running every 3-4 days and I feel stronger each time. If you try too much, too quickly, then you're going to be disappointed. Eventually, you'll be able to run daily:) Good luck!

• Art Davis Pro 112 posts since
    Jan 30, 2008
    4. Mar 16, 2013 7:27 AM (in response to 49newrunner)
    Can't get past a mile

I think slowing down alittle would help.

My suggestion would be if you cannot talk you are running to fast.

you should be able to talk in short sentences.

then you should be able to increase your mileage by about 10% a week.

Art

http://fitatfifty-art.blogspot.com/

Getting Fit at Fifty

http://fitatfifty-art.blogspot.com/

• lclarknj1 Rookie 1 posts since
    May 30, 2012
    5. Mar 20, 2013 5:57 AM (in response to 49newrunner)
    Can't get past a mile

I've been running since 1987. I'm in my 50's now, and was in great running condition until the year I hit 50. Lots of bad stuff happened to me physically that year, but long story short is I've had to work my way back into pain-free, injury-free running. I am now a convert of the Jeff Galloway run/walk method. I change up how the distance on how much of each I do, but I never run longer than 1.25 miles before walking a short distance. Even if I feel great, I still do the walking. I have worked my way up to 8 mile runs this way. My time still works out the be somewhere in the 10-10.5 minute mile range. I run 5 days a week and always feel great now. Took a change of mindset to adapt, but now that I have, I am a happy, sound runner.

• Billy137 Amateur 14 posts since
    Feb 8, 2012
    6. Mar 20, 2013 8:26 AM (in response to 49newrunner)
    Can't get past a mile

First of all, congrats on getting past the mile mark.  I think mentality is probably the biggest problem at this point.  I live at the top of a pretty steep uphill so I always have to finish my run with it.  Most of the time I let my mind make the decision to walk part of it.  I tell myself just to get to a certain point and then walk for a bit, then finish.  When I get to that point I usually walk, regardless of whether I need to.  It's a mind game for me and really screws up my average pace of the rest of the run.  It kind of sounds like you have the same obstacle at the mile marker of your run.  I would try to vary your route a bit so that mile marker is not so glaringly obvious.  Just go out and run a different way and when you get home if you don't have a gps watch or phone that tracks for distance, just look it up on google maps.  But overall you are doing the right thing, just slowly increase the distance.  Next week try for 1.25 miles.  The week after try for 1.5.  Pretty soon you will be able to knock off bigger chunks.  But like others have said, take it slow so you don't injure yourself again.  Don't get frustrated and try to do it all at once.  Good luck and enjoy the run, don't pay so much attention to the mileage, just enjoy being outside and exercising!

• UCF612 Rookie 1 posts since
    Mar 31, 2011
    7. Mar 20, 2013 5:46 PM (in response to 49newrunner)
    Can't get past a mile

It was so mental (still is) for me.  Every.single.time I go out to run I have to push myself past that first mile.  It is the mile where my body is yelling at me to just stop already!  But once I push past and hit the 1.5 to 2 mile mark I get into the groove.  For the longest time I was convinced I absolutely couldn't run more than 2 miles but I signed up for a half marathon anyhow.  Something about having that date on the calendar made me push past and I realized I could run further, I just needed to get past that hump at the beginning! My first half was this past December and even though I was one of the slowest runners out there I finished it.  You can do this! Just a little at a time.  One foot in front of the other.  When I start to get that "must stop" feeling I pick a landmark (tree,mailbox, whatever) and go to it, then I pick another and another.  Good luck!

• RJFortune Rookie 1 posts since
    Feb 2, 2013
    8. Mar 21, 2013 11:36 AM (in response to 49newrunner)
    Re: Can't get past a mile

I don't see where you mentioned the reason why you have to stop.

It is because you are out of breath?  If so, then as others have said, slow your pace.  At this point it isn't a race and you aren't on a time limit, you just want to hit the distances.  Once you hit the 3 mile mark comfortably you can worry about increasing your pace/

Is it because your legs hurt or tire?  If so then listen to your body.  It can take months for your bones/tendons/muscles to adapt to the pounding that jogging and running puts on the body.  Slow down, take more time to rest between run days, and don't worry - it will come.  And if you haven't done so already, go to a running store and get fit for shoes.  The right shoes with the right weight and the right support will make a world of difference in how long your legs and joints can carry you.

It is really a mental block?  If so then the way I break through them is to make myself run through just one more song (or just to that next landmark).  If find that if I can push myself to a tangible place rather than another whole mile, breaking it into smaller chunks makes it more manageable and i really discover my body can do it if my mind will just let it.

Good luck.  Keep at it and soon you will begin to impress yourself at just how far and how fast you can go.

• timriley Rookie 1 posts since
    Aug 10, 2011
    9. Mar 28, 2013 9:07 PM (in response to 49newrunner)
    Can't get past a mile

Congrats on your persistance.  It sounds like you're running by yourself, have you ever tried running with someone else?  Sometimes just being with somebody and not engaged solely in your own running things work out better.  Check out the running stores, not the sporting good stores but the running specialty stores, they usually have programs led by experienced runners and designed specifically for C25K in very gradual increments.  The No Boundaries program offered by Fleet Feet stores is 10 weeks long and goes up 1/4 mile each week.  It's designed for runners or run/walkers so it's at your own pace.

• gilbertholdings Amateur 27 posts since
    Mar 6, 2013
    10. Mar 29, 2013 3:38 AM (in response to 49newrunner)
    Can't get past a mile

congrats on taking the program.  it could be mental, especially now after the fracture.  i'd give it some more time and keep at it.  maybe even just restart the program and see how you do again building up slowly.  it takes everybody a different amount of time, so maybe you just need a little longer.  don't despair and just keep at it and you'll eventually meet your goal!

Negative Ion Bracelets, Necklaces, and Accessories

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...