Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

174424 Views 796 Replies Latest reply: Oct 5, 2014 4:31 PM by shipo Go to original post 1 ... 49 50 51 52 53 54 Previous Next
  • Chel Del Rookie 2 posts since
    Nov 1, 2012
    Currently Being Moderated
    750. Mar 19, 2013 1:06 PM (in response to NICURN09)
    Plus sized and starting C25K for the first time

I am starting today! Good luck!!

"I woke up one day and saw that it was up to me; you can only be a victim if you admit defeat" -The Descendents

• BiggJohn Rookie 1 posts since
    Mar 19, 2013
    751. Mar 20, 2013 6:00 AM (in response to Tiffany89)

I know what you mean. I was in the 300+ pounds category, I have a wife and three kids (5, 3, and 10 months). Work is crazy (between travel and overtime) and life is crazy.

Starting in October of 2012 I started dieting and working out in the gym. I have lost a total of 53 pounds so far (losing 50 pounds was my first goal). I am now in the high 200's and looking for a new goal (something not weigh-loss related but something that would continue my weight loss) I was told about this program. My goal is now to run my first 5k in under 30 minutes. I am currently on W2D2. Man is this the hardest thing I have ever done before. We will see how this turns out. I stopped going to the gym during my running days and I run outside.

But I really came on here to say something about getting over what people think. I could say "don't worry about it and just do it" but being close to 300 pounds when I starting this program and my inability to run, what people thought came into my mind more then once. When I "run" I am slow, breathe heavy, and I can only image what others see. Getting over that was the hardest part for me.

I always say I don't care what others think and heck, I am a man, I don't care about stuff like that but I did care and I think I was more ashammed then anything.

Well someone gave me some great advice at my work.. he told me he looks at it this way "It's none of my business what others think of me". He told me to get a hold of that mindset, don't worrying what others are thinking about you, it's none of your business. You are doing this for yourself, for your gain, to better yourself. That is how I look at it, sure once in a while I start to wonder what all these people are thinking as I get over taken by them but hey, it's none of my business... I will keep on keeping on for me, my wife, and my children.

• SeeFluffyRun Legend 251 posts since
    Sep 2, 2009
    752. Mar 20, 2013 6:25 PM (in response to BiggJohn)

BiggJohn your coworker is right just do it.  Runners will encourage your and cheer you on, some who want to run but are too scared to start, will secretly envy you and those who don't "get" running...well they think all runners are crazy.

So get out there and give it what you got.  You know, I am one of the biggest people running our trails and it makes no difference.  Everyone smiles and cheers eachother on or says hi.  I have even seen people on the trails and said they started running because they saw me out there. They said, if I can do it, so can they. 

I cried on the trail either W1 or W2...so if you didn't lie on the ground and start boohooing...well then you are better than me. LOL

Come join us on the 200+ thread.  It is a pretty active thread with great people.

Look forward to hearing about your progress.

Graduated C25K 08/09/2009

Restarted 04/01/2013

Follow me on my journey: SEEFLUFFYRUN

Twitter: @SeeFluffyRun

Facebook: SeeFluffyRun

Blog: seefluffyrun.blogspot.com

• Wideguy Legend 1,161 posts since
    Aug 27, 2009
    753. Mar 21, 2013 7:07 AM (in response to NICURN09)

Hey Biggjohn, you nailed it. It's all about getting past those perceptions. For me it was less about what others thought (although that was definitely there, which is why I did all my early running at night) but for me even more insidious was the image of myself. I couldn't stop comparing myself to the 20 yr. old me and to all the 20 somethings I saw running around. I even got self conscious when I saw the HS track team. My logical mind understands that I'm not a teenager anymore, but it still hit me in the gut.

But untimately it's most important to realize, you're doing something to better yourself.  And you will be better tomorrow than you were yesterday. Keep at it! 

C25K GRADUATE!
    Complete 10/30/10

And then I let it all go again. More "restarts" than I can count but I haven't given up hope or trying yet. So who knows what's possible.

• LrningToRun Rookie 4 posts since
    Jan 23, 2013
    754. Mar 27, 2013 1:38 PM (in response to NICURN09)

Congratulations on starting teh program.  I too am overweight and decided i was going to do this.  When I started I was barely able to run the 1.5 minutes in week 2. I just finished week 7 and am running 25 minutes.  Who woulda thought!!  Now i'm tired and out of breath...it's not easy but i'm doing it.  I don't care what anyone else says or thinks.  I'm not the fastest but i'm doing it and you can too.  Hang in there!

• jenperry2003 Rookie 3 posts since
    Mar 27, 2013
    755. Mar 27, 2013 5:03 PM (in response to NICURN09)

I started the program today!!  About 2 weeks ago I bought a pair of comfy shoes, and a watch with a stopwatch in it, and today I made the decision to finally start!!  I took my 8 year old daughter with me (who is already fit and trim--she does gymnastics for 4-6 hours per week) and she really kept me going! 

2013 is a big year for me.  I have reached the magical 5-year mark of being cancer-free!  I'm finally ready to take back my health!  I've got a lot to live for!

Any advice would be wonderful!  for example, anyone have any suggestions for keeping stomach flab from hurting when it bounces when you're jogging?? 

Thanks!!

Jen

• edensacres Pro 197 posts since
    Jun 19, 2010
    756. Mar 28, 2013 7:36 AM (in response to jenperry2003)

Congrats Jen!  Hopefully your first run went well.  I'm sure it was a challenge.  I think I only did 3 or 4 reps the first day out.  As to your specific question, I purchased XXL compression shorts by moving comfort to keep the chub rub on my legs from happening and it helps with my lower stomach.  I also use to wear a very tight fitting  (mens) compression t-shirt under a more flattering shirt to hold it all in.  This t-shirt was tucked into the compression shorts to keep it in. 

Hope this helps and keep your questions coming. Most problems you will expeience, someone else has experenced too! 

Stephanie

Started C25K 3/29/11 for the third time - Graduated 7/1/11 - some of us take longer

Completed Races

Webster Co. Woodchopping Festival 5K (5/28/11) 38:03 "Holy crap! Did he just say 38 something? I was hopinig for 45 minutes"

Never underestimate yourself!

That Dam Race 5K 7/23/11 44:46 - a challenging route & a hot day- but I will do better next year!

"Run for the Ta-Ta's 5K 10/29/11 39:54 in the snow!

Woodchoppers 5K 5/26/12 36:08 My 5 year old was 5 minutes behind me. Way to go Liat!

Fly By 10k 6/16/12 1:24:12

And the dream race...

"Flying Pig Half Marathon" Cincinnati, OH (May 2013)

• Juaneno Rookie 2 posts since
    Oct 27, 2009
    757. Apr 3, 2013 8:48 AM (in response to BiggJohn)

Don't let anyone discourage you...I am plus size and have done many 5k's...do what you can and don't give up...you catch the 5k bug quickly!!  Your there for you, the challenge and the fun...love the Color Runs and Electric Runs!!

• KWeikman Rookie 1 posts since
    Feb 15, 2011
    758. Apr 4, 2013 8:02 PM (in response to NICURN09)

What a great thread to find today! I am a newbie runner and am over the 200lb mark. It's been a long road learning to love my body, and now that i love it I know I need to take care of it. I've run two 5Ks so far this year, with another coming up next weekend. The biggest thing to work on is endurance.

Anyway, I just wanted to say that everyone on here is amazing and you should feel so proud in the decision you have made to be healthy.

My hat is off to all of you!

600446_10103188762775651_1024671430_n.jpg226569_10103261123224731_684464804_n.jpg

• SeeFluffyRun Legend 251 posts since
    Sep 2, 2009
    759. Apr 6, 2013 10:12 PM (in response to KWeikman)

Hi KW...the Glow Run sounds like fun!

I just learned last night that my Bible Study group is going to run the BlueBell 5K. For those that don't what bluebell is...it is a brand of ice cream. You guessed it...ice cream at the finish line.  I have a family reunion that day so I can't go.

Need to find out more these Glow runs.

Graduated C25K 08/09/2009

Restarted 04/01/2013

Follow me on my journey: SEEFLUFFYRUN

Twitter: @SeeFluffyRun

Facebook: SeeFluffyRun

Blog: seefluffyrun.blogspot.com

• dairygirl17 Rookie 2 posts since
    Jun 11, 2006
    760. Apr 14, 2013 5:44 AM (in response to jenperry2003)

I'm starting with day one today! I know it's doable because I've finished the c25k about 4 years ago. Then life happened and I quit running. Now I'm pushing 290 and decided I've got to do something! I have active kids I want to keep up with and lots of stuff I want to do (always wanted to try kayaking). I have to agree with some of the other posts that it is embarrassing to be active as a large person. I feel like people are wondering "who's chasing that fat chick?" My goal is to loose 50 lbs by my 40th birthday in sept.

• FluffyNinja Rookie 1 posts since
    Jun 25, 2013
    761. Jun 25, 2013 5:36 PM (in response to dairygirl17)

LOL wow do I agree with the thought of "whose chasing the fat chick?" .... I too am starting the C25k but my goals are a little different than alot of you guys. I want to be able to do Tough Mudders next year!! I know, I know ... huge goals right?!?! I have several smaller goals in mind but that is the grand finale goal...lol.  A little about myself and my goals.... I am a 36 yo mom of 3 boys, 19, 7, and 4 yo. I weigh 242 lbs. and I am really very active at all. I have started C25k before and quit, I have started a million and one diets before and quit. I have tried all kinds of weight loss crap and quit it all. I am tired of being a quitter!!! I want to show my kids and my family that I can start and finish something and I want to be able to go on hikes and bike rides with my boys and I want to know when my life is over that I LIVED each day not just going through the motions, that I enjoyed each moment and I lived my life to the fullest and I conquered my fears. I want to be show appreciation to the Good Lord for this wonderful life he has bestowed upon me by being the best person I can be, inside and out!! My first goal is to finally finish C25K, then I want to do a Warrior Dash, depending on my fitness accomplishments there is one in September in Oregon and one in October in NorCal (Esparto) so we'll see which one I end up at...maybe both lol!! I would love to have a buddy along if any of you guys think this is something that you would like. I am hoping that my giving myself a challenge and the ability to help a great cause (St. Jude's Hospital) instead of just a weight loss goal or a running goal I will be more likely to stick with it.

I hope that all y'all that had wonderful goals on here achieved them and are well on your way to a healthier you!!  How fare have you gotten on your goal of 50lbs Dairygirl17?

Good luck to us all!!!

• JustJessie7 Rookie 2 posts since
    Jul 11, 2013
    762. Jul 11, 2013 6:02 PM (in response to NICURN09)

There is so many inspiring people here! I love it! I check in here daily to read all about you guys but check me out too... I'm just starting out but super pumped!

www.justjessie.simplesite.com

• JustJessie7 Rookie 2 posts since
    Jul 11, 2013
    763. Jul 11, 2013 6:04 PM (in response to dairygirl17)

KAYAKING IS A BLAST! I go almost every weekend. It's so important to stay active:) You got this!

Just Jessie

• Kelly1066 Pro 133 posts since
    Jul 12, 2012
    764. Jul 16, 2013 11:07 AM (in response to NICURN09)

Just wanted to wish everyone here good luck - I remember going out for my first run and being so embarrassed because of how slow I was and how many walking breaks I was taking doing C25k, I knew people would be looking at me thinking "wow, she is running SO SLOW and walking half the time, why does she even bother?"

Every time I see a runner out there who doesn't look like a stereotypical athlete, I am inspired and impressed and I want to cheer and clap for them because it's those of us at the back on race day that are actually making the biggest difference in our own lives by taking up running. 

Take it slow, work hard enough to feel good and not so hard you quit, and keep at it.  Running has made a huge difference in my life.  I had some weight to lose after my two pregnancies, and more specifically, just had to get back into good health after having two c-sections in sixteen months and struggling with raising two boys.  I don't know what I would do without running, and I totally believe it can change your life.

Best wishes

I write a running blog geared towards other new runners at http://www.iamrunningthis.com!

Couch to 5K graduate, September 2012

First 10K, June 2nd, 2013

First Half Marathon, September 2013

Twitter: @iamrunningthis

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...