Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1034 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Mar 21, 2013 1:18 PM by Jasko123 RSS
mlshortle Rookie 1 posts since
Feb 7, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 20, 2013 2:43 PM

Running with a bad back

I have a problem...I really love to run but have a couple of back issues and I can only one long run (maybe two if one is a short run) per week plus some cross training (spin and elliptical).  I've been successful with 5ks and a little longer distances but really want to do a half marathon this November.  Any ideas of a training program that will get me ready for this?

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,482 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    1. Mar 21, 2013 6:05 AM (in response to mlshortle)
    Running with a bad back

Do some core work.  Plankes front sides, and lower back stuff supermans, ect. 

• Jasko123 Legend 461 posts since
    Apr 18, 2011
    2. Mar 21, 2013 1:18 PM (in response to mlshortle)
    Running with a bad back

I agree with the advice for strength training...weights take awhile to produce results, but consistent work will make a difference.  The other thing is try running in a tightly-fitted vest.  (It can be lightweight, but needs to be snug and longer to secure slightly below the waistline).  This helps a great deal with posture and aids in lower back support).

If you are looking for a specific training program, there are tons available on the Internet (many are similiar, cookie-cutter suggestions, so my humble advice is just to slowly increase your long-run schedule (do double miles on some days with mornings and evenings) and continue with the weekend races to include 8k and 10k opportunities. 

Here is an example of a schedule http://www.runningthroughlife.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/Half-Marathon-16-Week-Training-Plan-Level-2-Beginner.pdf

Again, do not push yourself because you have plenty of time to build your endurance and work up to the distance.

Wishing you all the best!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points