Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1355 Views 6 Replies Latest reply: Mar 25, 2013 3:14 PM by WIguy RSS
RafeDonson Rookie 1 posts since
Aug 24, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 24, 2012 10:06 AM

Couch to 5K on a treadmill - not a good idea?

I've been doing the Couch to 5K but because my local area didn't have any particular great running routes, I gave it a go on the treadmill. I put the treadmill up to full whack - 7.5 - and actually got up to about Week 8, really sweating it out. Then the treadmill broke, so I found somewhere a few minutes further afield to start running. Yeah.. it didn't go well. There's a hell of a difference between treadmill running and running on the street, so I'm going to go back to Week 5 next week and stick with the street.

Has anyone else run into this? I don't know if I'm running faster on the street than on the treadmill, or if it's just different, but it's a pain to find I've made less progress than I thought I was. I've gone from being able to run 25 mins on the treadmill, to struggling to do 8 minutes on the street!

• MarkEichenlaub Amateur 18 posts since
    Jun 17, 2012
    1. Mar 21, 2013 7:54 PM (in response to RafeDonson)
    Couch to 5K on a treadmill - not a good idea?

Stick with it!  You are far better off starting now than later and don't worry about the treadmill, just try to get outside when you can.

If you'd like some more advice on running a number of runners and coaches (including myself, a USATF certified coach) post and talk about these things at teachtorun.com

Blogging about motivation, injury prevention and training lessons I've learned at TeachtoRun.com and working on "The Ultimate 5k Plan" at HowtoRun5k.com.

• WIguy Pro 136 posts since
    Jun 24, 2010
    2. Mar 22, 2013 6:20 PM (in response to RafeDonson)
    Re: Couch to 5K on a treadmill - not a good idea?

You were probably running faster outside. The breeze from running outdoors can cool you down and evaporate the sweat faster than when you are running on a treadmill. That makes it feel like you aren't running as hard, so you run faster to compensate, and end up running out of breath/energy faster outdoors due to the higher speed. I'd definitely try mapping and timing your outdoor runs to find out how fast you were actually going. I find that running on a treadmill with a 2 to 3 degree incline and medium firmness corresponds pretty well to my street times. Couch to 5K is definitely doable on the treadmill. This year I'm planning on doing couch to 1/2 marathon primarily on the treadmill.

C25K - graduated 7/9/10

---

Justiceworks' JustRun 5K - 9/4/10: 24:52

American Cancer Society Walk/Run 5K - 9/19/10: 24:20

Lettie's River Run 5K - 10/9/10: 24:59

• MarkEichenlaub Amateur 18 posts since
    Jun 17, 2012
    3. Mar 23, 2013 9:47 AM (in response to WIguy)

Good points.

Which half marathon are you shooting for?

Blogging about motivation, injury prevention and training lessons I've learned at TeachtoRun.com and working on "The Ultimate 5k Plan" at HowtoRun5k.com.

• Art Davis Pro 112 posts since
    Jan 30, 2008
    4. Mar 24, 2013 9:29 AM (in response to RafeDonson)

You can definetely do a C25k on the treadmill.

You need to run a little faster than your goal on the street and run at a 1% grade.

I also try to run one day a week outside so my body will adjust to running outside.

Art

http://fitatfifty-art.blogspot.com/

Getting Fit at Fifty

http://fitatfifty-art.blogspot.com/

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,265 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    5. Mar 24, 2013 5:30 PM (in response to Art Davis)

I trust you all realize that you're talking to someone who is probably not listening. He started this thread in August and has posted nothing since.

Len

• WIguy Pro 136 posts since
    Jun 24, 2010
    6. Mar 25, 2013 3:14 PM (in response to lenzlaw)

lenzlaw wrote:

I trust you all realize that you're talking to someone who is probably not listening. He started this thread in August and has posted nothing since.

Funny thing is I hadn't posted in over a year, so by comparison this topic is relatively fresh.

MarkEichenlaub wrote:

Which half marathon are you shooting for?

Something in the Minneapolis, MN area in June or July. There are at least three candidates I'm interested in, but none I've committed to yet. It will be a "check the box" half marathon. It will be my first, and I want to get one in fairly early this year in case I get sidelined by injury later in the summer. If I run another half marathon in the fall I'll go for more speed instead of just survival.

C25K - graduated 7/9/10

---

Justiceworks' JustRun 5K - 9/4/10: 24:52

American Cancer Society Walk/Run 5K - 9/19/10: 24:20

Lettie's River Run 5K - 10/9/10: 24:59

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...