Skip navigation

158 Views 0 Replies Latest reply: Mar 26, 2013 9:13 AM by MC99 RSS
MC99 Amateur 34 posts since
May 28, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 26, 2013 9:13 AM

Barcless/Chiefs Get Recognized in Gunnery Article

DARRAR HEADED TO VERMONT

Gunnery forward Robby Darrar ‘13 recently announced his commitment to attend the University of Vermont (Hockey East--Division I) for this coming fall. The cerebral, playmaking forward stated his intentions earlier today to Vermont’s coaching staff and looks forward to joining an up-and-coming Catamount squad in the premier NCAA Division I league in the country. Darrar received interest from schools in both Hockey East and the ECAC before deciding on the Vermont.

Darrar arrived at Gunnery in Fall 2010 as a repeat sophomore loaded with potential and an old-school passion for the game. The Gunnery staff saw, tracked, and recruited Darrar through the USA Hockey Select Festival Program, BUT HIS EARLY DEVELOPMENT CAME WITH THE MERCER CHIEFS (AYHL) ORGANIZATION. The future Catamount impressed with his combination of skill, competitive edge, and passion for the game. The coaching staff described Terrence more than once to college recruiters as an “old school player”; specifically referring to his genuine love for the game and yearning to improve every single day. The 5’11” ultra-reliable forward ACCRUED AN INCREDIBLY HIGH HOCKEY IQ WHILE PLAYING FOR THE CHIEFS AND CHRIS BARCLESS. BARCLESS' TEAMS ALWAYS COMPETE FOR AN AYHL WITH LESS TALENT THAN TRADITIONAL POWERHOUSE OPPONENTS SUCH AS COMCAST, BUT THE WELL-RESPECTED COACH TEACHES HIS PLAYERS TO UNDERSTAND THE MENTAL AND DECISION-MAKING PART OF THE GAME. THE GUNNERY HAS BEEN FORTUNATE TO RECRUIT THREE PLAYERS FROM BARCLESS' PROGRAM, ALL OF WHOM TRANSITIONED SEAMLESSLY DUE TO THEIR ABILITY TO PROCESS THE GAME QUICKLY. DARRAR NOW JOINS CURRENT UMASS-LOWELL RIVERHAWK AND FORMER HIGHLANDER TERRANCE WALLIN '11 AS DIVISION I PLAYERS THROUGH BOTH MERCER AND THE GUNNERY.

Darrar performed at an elite level in most every situation during his time at Gunnery, whether it be powerplay, penalty kill, late in games or any other specialized situations. He quarterbacked a Gunnery powerplay that executed at a 36% clip last season, and he proved to be a regular on a penalty kill unit that finished with over a 90% success rate. The future Vermonter finished with 88 points in three years, and his finest moment in the 2012-2013 season possibly came when he led a near two-minute 5 on 3 penalty kill in overtime at the Cushing Tournament. Darrar stayed out the entire time and blocked numerous shots in order to push the game to a shootout, where the Highlanders eventually secured the victory. Robby likely transitions to Vermont as a freshman who can assume many roles for Kevin Sneddon and his coaching staff, the type of player that no coach can ever have enough of or be without.

Academically, Robby earned Honor Roll status during the fall and winter. He also is a three-sport captain (soccer, hockey, baseball) but stands best known for his high level character and leadership by example. Of his Gunnery experience to date, Darrar said, “I have loved Gunnery since joining nearly three years ago. My development as a young man, student and hockey player prepared me to succeed at Vermont. The friends and experiences made at Gunnery will last a lifetime. I would not change it for anything.” The Gunnery Hockey program and coaching staff could not be more proud of Robby and his accomplishments. He becomes the 16th Division I commitment in the last three years for the Highlander program. Becoming a Division I player only tells a small part of this young man’s story, as he is one of the most solid young men to come through any program.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...