Skip navigation

NEED HELP?|

1195 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Apr 3, 2013 5:03 PM by CoachTurnkey
CoachTurnkey Amateur 12 posts since
Mar 5, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 28, 2013 12:01 AM

Hope I called this correctly..

Minor A Little League Rules...During Batter4 at bat, a wild pitch allows runner to score from third base. Batter4 draws a walk and is only runner on the bases. Batter5 is hit by second pitch and is now on first, Batter4 is on second. Batter6 takes one pitch his team Manager,(they were Visitors) asks for Timeout. He brings to my attention(I am Plate Umpire) that the last run scoring on the wild pitch was the 5th run and the inning should have ended. The opposing team(Home) concurs and the teams switch sides.

What I Did: Informed the visiting team that when they batted in the next inning Batter6 would be the first batter with a new count(0-0). The Home Team Manager was informed that all pitches would stay on record for the pitch count as well as the hit by pitch,(it was pitchers 2nd HBP)

The Visiting Team wanted Batter4 to be first to bat when they resumed and wanted an explanation.

My response, " Show me in the rulebook before his team bats again where it states that his way is correct". He was unable to and Batter6 batted first.

Ironically, this same Manager wanted an OUT called on a batter/runner sliding into first base(feet first). I asked him to show me in the Rule Book where it declares an out. The only way an out is called is if the runner slid head first.

• Mike_CVUA Legend 593 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    1. Mar 29, 2013 5:12 AM (in response to CoachTurnkey)

Minors A?

What if B5 had grounded into an inning-ending double play?  The defense recorded some outs there.

What's the big deal?  For that level, I would have had no problem had you called that one either way.  The idea of the 5-run rule is to prevent the merry-go-round effect where you only get 1 or 2 innings in.  The goal is to get both teams some defensive time to learn the game.

Sounds to me like some of the managers are WAY too serious about the game for Minors A.

Conclusion:  Don't sweat the small stuff (at that level in particular).

Suggestion:  If you are an umpire, don't EVER say "Show me in the rulebook where......."  You are looking for trouble.  You are supposed to know all the rules, and you might need to be giving a short rules clinic.  But the issue is your cred!

Rather, if a manager wants to protest, HE must cite the rule that has been mis-interpreted.  That's when he needs to get into his own rule book. So if the guy yaps that you can't slide into first base, you say simply, "No such rule!"  Leave it there.

Somewhere on this board are the Myths of baseball.  Read those and the rule that go with them.  Then you will be prepared to rule confidently and effectively.  Finally, be careful of league "House" rules. Some of them get ridiculous and they actually violate the intent of the basic rules.  These create bad habits as the kids and managers move up in the scale of Little League ball.  [F'rinstance, does your league say that you can't slide into first base?  I sure hope not......]

Good luck!

Mike CVUA

• Mike_CVUA Legend 593 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    3. Mar 30, 2013 9:11 AM (in response to CoachTurnkey)

Coach:

If the batter is clearly out of the batters box BEFORE the pitcher starts the windup, you have erred!  You should not let a pitch begin if the batter is not properly set.  Call time, and re-set the batter.  Note that BOTH feet must be COMPLETELY within the batters box (and the lines count) before you allow the pitch to start.

Now, if the batter were properly set, and then during the pitching motion or offer he steps with one foot 100% OUT of the box ON THE GROUND, you have an IBB, and you call time and award the out.

If a foot is in the air when the ball is hit (bunt situation usually), no violation.

If the foot is on the ground and part of it is on the line, no violation.

Note that as the game goes on, the lines will be obliterated, and you cannot make that call, at least not in the back of the box.  And this assumes that your league put down lines in the first place!  LOL!  You are more likely to have to figure out an IBB or Defensive Interference on the catcher!

Hope that helps.

Mike CVUA

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...