Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2273855 Views 11,399 Replies Latest reply: Oct 3, 2014 9:50 AM by Kelly1066 Go to original post 1 ... 716 717 718 719 720 ... 760 Previous Next
  • edensacres Pro 197 posts since
    Jun 19, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    10,756. Mar 21, 2013 8:21 AM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

Sorry to hear you are still sick Wideguy!  Upper respitory problems can be hard to shake off!.  But its great to hear the treadmill calling out your name.  When I'm sick or injured I "force" myself to listen to all kinds of running/healthy lifestyle podcasts to keep me focused and not lose that internal motivation.

My last week has been crazy- I had 6 days in Florida for a wedding, plus the 3 days before the trip that were extra busy.  I had planned on the craziness and scheduled a step down week for last week.  It was supposed to be 3 - 5 mile runs.   I only got two in, but one was in 70 degree weather!!!  This week was supposed to be back to normal 3,4, and then a long run of 9 on Friday.  I missed the 3 miler, and then yesterday, rather than running my 4 miler I ran the 9.  Oh man it was a struggle.  After a week of wearing heels and flip flops, my calves and knees were screaming.  It was slow going, with lots of run/walk breaks but I didn't stop and finished with an average of 14:30 m/m pace.  Slower than normal, but again there was nothing normal with this soreness.  The next few days are crazy as I try to catch up and then get back in a routine.  But I will try for the 4 miler on Saturday.  Starting Sunday my schedule is 3, 4, and 10!  If all goes well with the 10 miler, I take the leap and sign up for the Flying Pig Half Marathon!!!!  I'm so close!!!!

The best news of all is that 6 days in florida, eating out etc, I came home to find I did not gain a single pound!  I cannot describe the elation I felt when I saw the scale.  Maybe I cheated, just a little... I waited until after the 9 mile run to weigh myself. 

For everyone getting the spring bug  and starting C25K, I cannot say enough about the program.  I believe in it!!! But as Wideguy said, for us heavier folks, it can take longer. Repeat weeks or days as necessary, get fitted for shoes at a running store, stretch and iff you have to take time off, dont give up, each time you start it does get easier.  I had worked my way up to 10ks this summer then had to stop running completely in October when I got pregnant with complications.  Mid December I had a miscarriage and started running again the second week of January- and I just did a 9 mile run. Each time you start over it is easier... Building your muscles, lungs physical and mental endurance for the first 3 is the HARDEST part. 

Happy running to all!

Stephanie

Started C25K 3/29/11 for the third time - Graduated 7/1/11 - some of us take longer

Completed Races

Webster Co. Woodchopping Festival 5K (5/28/11) 38:03 "Holy crap! Did he just say 38 something? I was hopinig for 45 minutes"

Never underestimate yourself!

That Dam Race 5K 7/23/11 44:46 - a challenging route & a hot day- but I will do better next year!

"Run for the Ta-Ta's 5K 10/29/11 39:54 in the snow!

Woodchoppers 5K 5/26/12 36:08 My 5 year old was 5 minutes behind me. Way to go Liat!

Fly By 10k 6/16/12 1:24:12

And the dream race...

"Flying Pig Half Marathon" Cincinnati, OH (May 2013)

• Ogr44 Legend 316 posts since
    May 24, 2008
    10,757. Mar 21, 2013 7:11 PM (in response to SeeFluffyRun)
    200+ Pound Club!

I may be walking sunday as my wife is deciding if she will participate in Sundays event.  it will depend on weather etc.   if she is not walking, then I am hoping for PB sunday.  if she is, then next chance will be mid april...She is working her way back and completed her first post chemo 5K this past labor day.  (she is 3 yrs post chemo for stage 3 ovarian)  i would be in great trouble if I left her behind on the course.  on the other hand, it will allow me to not spill my coffee during the event..I have started several races cup in hand...

races in 2013 - Always trying to keep moving

31 Dec 2012: Fairfax 4 miler: 49:34

10 Feb 2013 Run your heart 2013 35:30

Please check out this site: http://www.exceptionalcomfort.blogspot.com/

• Shane_b Amateur 8 posts since
    Nov 11, 2010
    10,758. Mar 22, 2013 2:40 PM (in response to SeeFluffyRun)
    200+ Pound Club!

I'm in Fort Collins, CO Fluffy.  It would be nice to have a consistent running partner who runs my pace, but that seems hard to find. Until then I'll just keep plugging along and stay as consistent with my running as I can. 

• Zenchee Rookie 3 posts since
    Mar 18, 2013
    10,759. Mar 22, 2013 7:26 PM (in response to Zenchee)
    200+ Pound Club!

Ok everyone I am getting nervous.  About 10hrs to the 5k.  I am not so much worried about the Run / Walk (Ok, maybe a little) but the air temp is going to be 30 degrees and it is right next to the ocean so wind chill is going to be in the low 20's.  I hate cold weather and Running in it and brathing hard stinks.  I think that is goign to definetly affect my chance of a sub 40min first attempt.  If I make my goal it will be pushing myself to my current limit.  I love this thread and it is insperational.  I look at it this way...  I did not get this way over night and I can not expect to get back to shape over night.  I just really wish I had quit smoking a lot sooner.  I'll chime in tomorrow with how I did and anyone else running tomorrow stay strong.

-Steve

• Zenchee Rookie 3 posts since
    Mar 18, 2013
    10,760. Mar 23, 2013 9:01 AM (in response to Zenchee)
    200+ Pound Club!

Ok, my first 5K is done.  Wa not as bad running in the cold as I thought it would be.  I beat my goal, I am so freaking happy.  I ended up walking a good bit but I still managed a 38:35  time.  Not to bad since 3 months ago I simply wanted to finish.  I did find that my pace is fast and that I can't seem to run slower.  It just feels weird.  But my lungs do not allow me to sustain my pace for longer than 5mins at a time.  but then again 3 months ago going 60 seconds seemed impossible.  Also I am down another 2lbs as of this am...... (pre-race weight)

• Zyndyna Amateur 14 posts since
    May 21, 2012
    10,761. Mar 25, 2013 7:10 AM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

Hi everyone,

I have been MIA for a bit but finally got to the point that I felt I could do the Couch to 5k. Now here comes some questions I have. First off I am using the 5k running app on Iphone. I know we can repeat days but how do you know when your ready to move on to the next day? I have been doing day one for three times this past week. Day one I thought I was going to die.. Day two My legs hurt. Day three was not as bad till the last half. So I am not sure if I should do it till its easy or when to advance? I dont want me to push it to quickly and burn myself out. Plus my other question is, is it normal to gain weight when you first starting running? I jumped on the scale this morning thinking I have worked my butt off this week I know I have at least lost one pound. Heck no I gained 4. WTH No granted I know I am not running real fast. In fact I seen a tortise running past me Saturday but dang I am exercising. What am I doing wrong. Someone help me out here. I am struggling. I wanna do this. I want to be healthier. I have been on Weight Watchers for almost two years now and have plateaued. Granted I have thyroid issues and I am on my meds. But I dont know what else to do. I couldnt get past 270 lbs. Then I got disheartened and quit for like a month and a half and of course my weight shot back up Last week I weighed 280 this morning I found four more pounds. So I am now 284. Someone please give me some advice.

May 21, 2012
    10,765. Mar 28, 2013 7:32 AM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

Yea have no idea about my metabolic rate. I have been on Weight watchers for over a year and I am surprised I dont get whip lash every weigh day because my weight goes back and forth so much. The only pain I have experinced is of course my legs hurt laterally when I run and I have started stretching a bit before and defintely after to try and help that. my knees are sore when I go down steps now but I think there again I am asking a lot of them and I think they are trying to get used to it. I also think it maybe a form thing that is making my outside legs hurt so bad when I am runnning. Cause I know it sucks my left foot lands harder then my right but I guess this will improve the more I run? Feel free to dump any information you have on me I promise I dont get bored easy. Just know there maybe some crazy questions coming back. I guess I will be a brave girl and move to day two tonight.   I hope your feeling better Wideguy. Thanks for the reply

• Shane_b Amateur 8 posts since
    Nov 11, 2010
    10,766. Mar 28, 2013 8:22 AM (in response to Zyndyna)
    200+ Pound Club!

Hi Zyndyna,

Here is a good metabolic calculator.  http://www.caloriesperhour.com/index_burn.php.  My 2 cents worth is that Wideguy's advice is right on target.  The other advice I would add is to track your actual caloric intake diligently for a couple weeks to assess how your body is handling your activity level vs. calorie intake level.  I think this would give you a better idea of whether or not you're taking in the right amount of calories than just tracking WW points.  There are a lot of free calorie trackers on line to choose from so, while it's a pain in the butt, it's not really that hard.

The second piece advice I would give is to make absolutely sure to get in some good stretching after your exercies and I think you will be surprised how much of your knee pain goes away (especially concentrate on the calves).  I'm talking light, non-painful stretching.  You are putting a lot of new strain on your muscles and you shouldn't add to the strain by excessively deep stretching.  The goal here is just to release some of the tension from the muscle and to help elongate the muscle, not to add addition stress or strain.

Keep up the good work, stay consistent, and you will start to see the results!  Hopefully your run goes well today. 

May 21, 2012
    10,767. Mar 28, 2013 10:48 AM (in response to Shane_b)
    200+ Pound Club!

Ok according to that website my BMR is 2011. So not to sound awful but what do I do with that now? I found a calorie counter by livestrong that I have downloaded. I see where it is talknig about multipling factors. I dont know weather to pick light or moderately active. I do the 5k program three times a week. But have a sedentary job.

• CGT465 Rookie 4 posts since
    Mar 28, 2013
    10,769. Mar 28, 2013 12:08 PM (in response to AmyGooch)
    Re: 200+ Pound Club!

Hi All,

I'm a 48 year old male who recently (last summer) started running for 'pleasure'  for the very first time. I got the C25K program on my ipod and I was off. I made it to week 8 and some life issues made me shelve it until recently. I'm 6' and weigh in at 203lbs. When I started running I was over 226lbs, and really trimmed down, changed my diet. Unfortunately it changed back but I'm starting to eat better and with spring FINALLY arriving I can get out of the house and get back to running.
    I found a great pair of shoes that really worked for me. Asics Gel 1170's but they don't make them anymore

I was thinking about going with the GT 2000's as a replacement, would that be a good choice? I tend to strike on the ball of my foot rather than heel and I run on the outside of my foot, not the inside.
    Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions!

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...