Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

3703 Views 11 Replies Latest reply: Apr 3, 2013 2:32 PM by KimberlySmith217 RSS
shycotic Rookie 2 posts since
Mar 26, 2013
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 26, 2013 2:18 PM

50 + and I'm doing it anyway...

W1D1

Dear Voice in my Head,

You're right.  I'm too old, I'm too fat, and throwing the cigarettes away today doesn't make me an ex-smoker.

You're also right that I never finish anything, that I have the worst diet possible, and that these shoes might or might not be a good choice.  And I've never done anything particularly athletic in my life?  Yeah, I know already.

And I already know that I've got that little "thing" next to my heart that the doctors call a sarcoid.

But Voice?  You forgot something.  This is "me" you're talking to.  Yes, I'm going to be embarrassed as heck, running around the trailer park like some sort of a dork who thinks that she can call herself a "runner" some day.  I'm going to clutch my cell phone like it's going to somehow start pumping my legs, heart and lungs for me.  And guess what?  I had enough diagnotistics done that my doctors said physical activity is good for me.  And don't forget that even though I'm old, over 185 lbs., and slightly gimpy in my left knee, I'm also not sitting in this chair any more.  I'm just perverse enough to stop listening to you, Voice.

Because I've got an ace in the hole.  Maybe more than one.  I've got a buddy who's going to run my first 5k with me, and she's been through it, and she has pledged to help me be accountable.  And I've got another ace in the hole, too.  I already started.  Yes, it was one day.  Yes, it was mostly a brisk walk.  But I got my stretching in, and I've got some knowledge of how this is done.  I work a very, very, very physical job for an old bat, Voice, or did you forget that?  I know how to push through until I get the job done. 

And I happen to LIKE the cold, Voice, so don't think you can stop me with that "The weather is GARBAGE out there!".  

Voice, this time you aren't going to stop me.

See you at the finish line, Voice!  And then we'll see who's astonished, won't we???? 

Sincerely,

Me

P.S.  I can't wait to say "I told you so, Voice!"

• Rich in NH Legend 850 posts since
    Dec 10, 2007
    1. Mar 26, 2013 4:03 PM (in response to shycotic)
    Re: 50 + and I'm doing it anyway...

I gave 'em up about 9 years ago.  Took up running shortly after and never looked back. 

When your feet hit the floor in the morning, promise yourself you're not going to smoke today.  Don't worry about tomorrow, just take care of today.  Watch your coffee intake, nicotine has a way of blocking caffiene's effect, so if you cut out the nicotine, you can get really wired.

Take it one day at a time and before you know it, 2 weeks have gone by and the worst of it's over.  You go girl, you can do this!

Enjoy life, this ain't a rehearsal...

• PaintingLady Legend 906 posts since
    Dec 12, 2009
    2. Mar 26, 2013 6:37 PM (in response to shycotic)
    Re: 50 + and I'm doing it anyway...

Love your post and I know you will be able to tell Voice, "I told you so!!" As Rich said, take it one day at a time. Be consistant. You will conquer!

Marie from Tennessee

Training for Disney 2013 Goofy Challenge.....Yes, I'm certifiably CRAZY!

61 year olds must be out of their minds to run a half marathon followed by a full the next day!

Disney Half Marathon 1/7/2012 2:37:59

Bear Hunt 5K 9/24/11 28:28 pb

Trojan Trek Trail 5K 8/6/11 31:45

Expo 10K 5/28/11 1:01:28,

Expo 10K 5/26/12 1:05:39

Eastman 10K 9/8/2012 1:01:11 pb

"Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us." Hebrews 12:1

• PeterME Amateur 12 posts since
    Mar 4, 2013
    3. Mar 28, 2013 7:29 AM (in response to shycotic)

Well, I can't say I've never been athletic, but I've never been much of a fan of running.  Never smoked (My Dad heard the Surgeon General say it may be hazardous to your health and put out his last cigarette right then, and I never tried one). I have dropped about 50 pounds over the past year and am back down to a weight I had not sen since my early twenties.

But, I'm 57 and I just started C25K in March.  In week 4 now and picking my first 5K race for the end of April or beginning of May.

You keep telling that Voice of yours wherre to get off, and keep putting one foot in front of the other.

Before long, you'll be amazed how far behind you that starting line is.

• Rich in NH Legend 850 posts since
    Dec 10, 2007
    5. Mar 31, 2013 6:33 AM (in response to shycotic)

You're doing great!

And there isn't a runner in the world who would scoff at you for doing what you're doing.  Hang in there, keep your chin up and don't look back!

And yeah, I know encouragement this early in your journey is important.  Remember, one day at a time!!

Enjoy life, this ain't a rehearsal...

• Art Davis Pro 112 posts since
    Jan 30, 2008
    6. Apr 2, 2013 4:31 AM (in response to shycotic)

Congratulations!

I started running in 2007 at the age of 48.

I was an overweight, out of shape lifelong couch potato.

so far I have lost 60 pounds and I am running my 6th full marathon Saturday.

Art

http://fitatfifty-art.blogspot.com/

Getting Fit at Fifty

http://fitatfifty-art.blogspot.com/

• db_woodall Amateur 15 posts since
    Mar 15, 2011
    7. Apr 3, 2013 7:14 AM (in response to shycotic)

Nice post!!!  When I was 50 (3 years ago) I went to an orthopedic dr. for a strained hamstring and he actually said (and I quote) "Well, you're 50 now, it's time to quit running and take up something like biking". I have since run 2 marathons and 3 half marathons, and planning more.  I now try to only see doctors who are runners themselves, since it is clear that many non-running medical professionals not only do not understand the drives and rewards of the sport, but (like this knucklehead) make recommendations not based on diagnosis, but stereotype.

Don't listen to anyone (even that voice in your head ). Keep Running!!!

-dave

• foreversdream Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 29, 2009
    8. Apr 3, 2013 8:00 AM (in response to db_woodall)

your posts are so inspiring ! see you saturday! signed the slow turtle

• sweetpea049 Rookie 1 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    9. Apr 3, 2013 8:56 AM (in response to shycotic)

You are awesome!!!  I'm 53 and starting my running program again.  You have inspired me to keep going.  Thanks!

• Chuck Davenport Rookie 1 posts since
    Oct 11, 2009
    10. Apr 3, 2013 12:14 PM (in response to shycotic)

I am 52 and had lost a little bit of motivation after completing 4 marathons and a handful of halfs but I wanted to let you all know that reading your posts has re-motivated me to crank it up again..

THANK YOU ALL!!

• KimberlySmith217 Rookie 5 posts since
    Apr 7, 2011
    11. Apr 3, 2013 2:32 PM (in response to shycotic)

What size shoes do you wear?  I have several pairs that have little wear that I do not use.  They're in the bag to go to the local "goodwill", but if they're your size I'll happily mail them to you to try.

Send me an email at ksmith@wyndevel.com (work email) - I don't often sign into the forums.

Keep up the good work.  I frequently tell my little voice "Thank you for sharing - now shut up, I'm busy!" :-)

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...