Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

379 Views 1 Reply Latest reply: Apr 1, 2013 2:39 PM by LukeRoberts89 RSS
LoriKorzen Rookie 5 posts since
Feb 4, 2013
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 31, 2013 3:42 PM

New to Trail Running...Columbia, North Face shoes?

I am brand new to trail running and looking for a pair of shoes with some good grip to them but don't want to sacrifice cushioning and stability.  Does anyone run in Columbia, North Face or Keen Trail running shoes?  Are they as good as an asics or mizuno?

Can anyone recommend a pair of trail shoes for someone with mild overpronation with excellent cushioning?

• LukeRoberts89 Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 1, 2013
    Currently Being Moderated
    1. Apr 1, 2013 2:39 PM (in response to LoriKorzen)
    New to Trail Running...Columbia, North Face shoes?

I recently moved from mostly road running to mostly trail running. After destroying my Asics by using them off-road, I researched several pairs of trail runners, and decided on the Salomon SpeedCross 3. I ran a 13.1 last weekend (LBJ Grasslands Trail Run in Texas) and they really performed well, especially given the adverse conditions. I know little to nothing about pronation nor am I any kind of expert, but I can tell you that I have run in these shoes, off-road, for almost 80 miles and LOVE them.They clean up like new and feel just as good as any of my past several pairs of Asics. not heavy. very gripy and fun to run in.

One thing worth noting is the fit. these are 'narrow' in that they really hug your foot. that is to say they are NOT tight but designed to follow the shape of your foot. You really should try on several shoes and get a feel, but I wanted to note that because I usually will buy a pair of inserts with a new pair of running shoes and the SC3 is already kind of Orthotic and provides nice arch support (I have suffered Plantar Fasciitis for years)

As for the brands you mentioned, the person helping me at REI recommended against these for distance running, as they were more of a hybrid hiker and would have less cushion and more weight.

Go try several on. talk with the experts at the store. And welcome to the trail!!!

All the best!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...