Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2081626 Views 11,392 Replies Latest reply: Jul 28, 2014 12:34 AM by Ferrylights RSS Go to original post 1 ... 717 718 719 720 721 ... 760 Previous Next
  • JustGlori Amateur 8 posts since
    Mar 16, 2013
    Currently Being Moderated
    10,770. Mar 28, 2013 3:14 PM (in response to JodyDv)
    200+ Pound Club!

Hi Jody! Already registered for a 5k? You're braver than I am!

I'm following the program, but definitely doing it at my own pace. I'm too excited about finally working on something that I've always wanted to do (running) so I don't want to push myself to the point where I don't want to do it anymore. The beginning of this week (week 2) was a bit of a wash because I wasn't feeling well. Yesterday I felt a bit better, but I could only do the 60 sec run. So I'm thinking that when I finally feel 100%, I'll try 75 secs.. then 80 secs.. 85.. etc etc.. until I get to 90 secs. All within my 2nd week of course.. I don't mean that I'm going to add additional weeks or anything. Basically, I'm going to pace myself. I think that may be the best route for me to go.

By the way, I'm not in the 200 club anymore!!!! I weighed in at 197 this morning. I've never been so happy to NOT be a part of a club lol. I kinda want to keep posting in this thread though.. since it's the very first one I felt comfortable posting in..

C25k Graduate - 5/25/13

• Zyndyna Amateur 14 posts since
    May 21, 2012
    10,772. Mar 29, 2013 6:46 AM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

Yea apparently the live strong app I downloaded goes off BMR also. It gave the choice off losing one pound a week up to two. Do we have to weigh everyday or once a week?

• dkknaebel Amateur 28 posts since
    Nov 29, 2012
    10,773. Mar 31, 2013 4:14 PM (in response to CGT465)
    200+ Pound Club!

CGT-

I have the Asics 2170 and I love them. I tend to strike on the back edge of the ball of my foot and roll outside, and these are very comfy.  I've been down all week with the flu. So I'm stalled at W5D1. I'll get at it again. I also have finals this week at school, but my next 5k is this Saturday and I'm going to go out and do my thing and enjoy myself.

12/3/2012- Began C25K

12/7/2012-Fell and broke left wrist

2/17/2013- Back to C25K

3/2/2013 First 5K- Suncoast Classic finished in 48:59

4/6/2013- Seminole Stampede 49:17

5/25/2013- Color Me Rad- Tampa

• SeeFluffyRun Legend 251 posts since
    Sep 2, 2009
    10,774. Apr 1, 2013 9:49 AM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

Ok, I was given okay to run this morning.  I had to take a couple more weeks than anticpated because I was still experiencing pain.  I am going this weekend to get new shoes but I will start tonight. 

Is anyone using an Iphone app for Couch to 5K?  I have the nikeplus app, mapmyrun app and Ease to 5K app. They all record GPS but only Ease to 5K gives the prompts for running and walking.  Eventually I want to use Mapmyrun and use my HRM with it. 

What are ya'lls suggestions?

Graduated C25K 08/09/2009

Restarted 04/01/2013

Follow me on my journey: SEEFLUFFYRUN

Twitter: @SeeFluffyRun

Facebook: SeeFluffyRun

Blog: seefluffyrun.blogspot.com

• KaraTeichroew2651 Rookie 2 posts since
    Jun 19, 2012
    10,775. Apr 2, 2013 8:49 AM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

I'm new to this group (and to the whole "group" thing). I'm 209 and running in my first half marathon on April 27th. I run in a 5k or 10k each month, but am really nervous about the half! I have finish time goals, but really just want to finish the race (afterall, it's a guaranteed PR no matter what!) I am running it in intervals of 3/1. Anyone have any advice for me? Did I mention, I'm really nervous about this?!!! I'm looking forward to getting to know you all and encouraging one another

• edensacres Pro 197 posts since
    Jun 19, 2010
    10,776. Apr 2, 2013 10:20 AM (in response to KaraTeichroew2651)
    Re: 200+ Pound Club!

Hi Kara and welcome to the best thread on the net!  Unfortunatly, I can't offer you any advice (other than what I've read).  My first half is May 5th.  So, I'll learn from you!  How many times a week are you running? What was your max mileage? And what are your taper plans?

I'm 5'6" and finally tipped the scale at 199 - but still consider this my group! I've been running 3 times a week, survived my first double digit run (10), last week.  My plan takes me up to 12 before running 8 the week before the race, but I've hit a snag with some knee pain, so I might just stay at 10 or go by feel.  I'm getting ansty and am very distracted.  I'm sure the nerves will come. 

Welcome and happy running!

Stephanie

Started C25K 3/29/11 for the third time - Graduated 7/1/11 - some of us take longer

Completed Races

Webster Co. Woodchopping Festival 5K (5/28/11) 38:03 "Holy crap! Did he just say 38 something? I was hopinig for 45 minutes"

Never underestimate yourself!

That Dam Race 5K 7/23/11 44:46 - a challenging route & a hot day- but I will do better next year!

"Run for the Ta-Ta's 5K 10/29/11 39:54 in the snow!

Woodchoppers 5K 5/26/12 36:08 My 5 year old was 5 minutes behind me. Way to go Liat!

Fly By 10k 6/16/12 1:24:12

And the dream race...

"Flying Pig Half Marathon" Cincinnati, OH (May 2013)

• Shane_b Amateur 8 posts since
    Nov 11, 2010
    10,777. Apr 2, 2013 1:46 PM (in response to Zyndyna)
    200+ Pound Club!

Zyndyna, most people recommend only weighing once per week.  As you probably know, weight fluctuates naturally depending on what we ate recently, if we're retaining water, hormones, etc. and weighing once a week saves us from the roller coaster of seeing the ups and downs we will see if we weigh daily.  You shopuld also weigh at the same time of day when you do weigh in.

Nov 11, 2010
    10,778. Apr 2, 2013 1:50 PM (in response to edensacres)
    200+ Pound Club!

Which half are you running Stephanie?  I'm also running a half marathon in Colorado on the 5th.

Regarding the knee pain, I would recommend you try accupuncture if you can afford to.  I was always a skeptic but finally got talked into it a couple years ago when I was having some serious knee pain (from use and my weight, not from injury which is an important difference) and it worked wonders.  I'm now a definite proponent of accupuncture.

Good luck on your race!

Shane

Nov 11, 2010
    200+ Pound Club!

Great job tackling such a large challenge Kara!  I ran my 1st half marathon a couple years ago and am training for my 2nd now.  Two pieces of advice I would give you are this:

1. Start off slower than you think you should.  This is a long race and you will feel GREAT at the start with all the energy around you and all the training you have put ihn and you will have thoughts of setting world records.  Don't give in to the temptation to start off running faster or longer than you have planned.  You can always pick up the pace later on in the race if you are still feeling good.

2. The last third of the race is all mental.  Your legs will hurt, you will be tired, and you will question whether you can even finish.  YOU CAN.  Believe in yourself and your training and go into the race with the mindset that no matter what you WILL cross the finish line.

• KaraTeichroew2651 Rookie 2 posts since
    Jun 19, 2012
    10,780. Apr 2, 2013 4:04 PM (in response to Shane_b)
    200+ Pound Club!

Thanks Stephanie and Shane! Congrats on working yourself uner 200, Stephanie!!! I'm running 4x's/wk and my max also takes me to 12 then back to 8 the week before. To start slower is great advice! Even in 5k's I have a tendancy to start off trying to keep pace with those around me (even though they are faster than I am). Has anyone ran a half by running intervals? My goal is 2:58 by running 3:1 intervals. There is a 3 hour pace runner and I'm wondering if I will look like I'm starting in the wrong group if I walk after 3 mins. Or are there usually others who run this way? I will remember what you say about the last 1/3 of the race and tell myself I CAN    Thanks, and happy HM training to both of you!

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,332 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    200+ Pound Club!

You will very likely have company doing run/walk. The problem with the pace group is they will be going at a steady pace. To do the same pace run/walk you should find yourself going slightly faster on the run phase, then having them catch up at the end of your walk. Of course, you could try just to stay slightly ahead of them. Shane_b's advice not to get caught up in the excitement of the start is very good. Running the first few miles too fast can really cause fatigue in the last few miles. Run your own race. Hopefully you will get to the last couple of miles and still feel like you have a little gas left in the tank. I actually find the toughest going from about mile 6 to 11. The first few miles you are settling into your pace and navigating traffic. The next few you have a routine going and you can spend some time watching other runners, the course and the scenery. By about mile 6 you've settled in and it's mostly just running. Until the last couple miles when you know the end is getting close and anticipation starts.

BTW, I've run over 40 half-marathons and I think it's my favorite distance - definitely callenging but the training is much more reasonable than full marathon training.

Len

Len

• SeeFluffyRun Legend 251 posts since
    Sep 2, 2009
    200+ Pound Club!

Sounds like everyone is having a great week.

Kara, I have a friend on Facebook, Rebecca P.  She has a facebook page "Heavyweight runner"  She runs 1/2 mary's on a regular basis and just recently signed up for the Marine Corp Full Mary. She has lots of great advice for those training for 1/2 marys. She also has a blog:  ?http://theheavyweightrunner.blogspot.com/

I did it!

Nike.JPG

Yeah Baby!  I felt no pain and did my best mile. First I would like to thank the members of the Activity for all your support.  I wouldn't have this without it.  So Week 1 Day 1 is officially in the books.  That albatross has been removed and now time to move on. 

Never received a response on what app you guys use to train?  I decided to use Ease to 5K and use Nike+ for music and my Nike+ will import into Mapmyrun...which has me thinking...why aren't I just using Mapmyrun with Ease to 5K?  I downloaded another one but I dont' remember the name of it.  It had something about breast cancer foundation and you know how I am all about saving the tatas (15 year survivor).

So what do you use?

What do you listen to?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Graduated C25K 08/09/2009

Restarted 04/01/2013

Follow me on my journey: SEEFLUFFYRUN

Twitter: @SeeFluffyRun

Facebook: SeeFluffyRun

Blog: seefluffyrun.blogspot.com

Nov 11, 2010
    10,783. Apr 3, 2013 3:42 PM (in response to SeeFluffyRun)
    200+ Pound Club!

I use Run Keeper but I know several other people who use Maymy run.  I think they are both decent.

• Timber09 Rookie 2 posts since
    Apr 3, 2013
    10,784. Apr 3, 2013 9:52 PM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

First ever post...glad I found this spot.

College athlete 18 years ago but jumped up to 230 over the years.  Started walking and then running with my dog Buckley (super athletic Great Dane!) and have now finally gotten under 210lbs and am really starting to enjoy the run and the challenge.

Signed up for my first half marathon this weekend (Seattle rock and roll) and will be on a Ragnar team come July - hopefully I will find my way south of 200lbs soon.  It's been fun the last six months and I have actually gotten to the point where I am excited for my runs...personal best today (I thank Portland for having a lot of flat areas) and finished 5miles in under 8:30 per mile average....pretty excited.

Looking forward to learning more on the forum...I have a lot to learn for sure.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...