Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

817 Views 1 Reply Latest reply: Apr 3, 2013 9:53 PM by lenzlaw
Kasia33 Rookie 1 posts since
Apr 3, 2013
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 3, 2013 9:05 PM

Where do I go now?

I have been running for a few weeks now and just found out about couch to 5K but I'm sort of already at about 3miles in each run, about 30min a run, 3 days a week.  I have no concept of speed training and didn't understand the chart on cool running about 440's and 880's....I don't really have any particular goals of races, just trying to use running to stay healthy and relieve stress after taking care of 2 kiddos all day!  I want to keep with running about 3 days a week and then do 1 HIIT workout a week and rest the other days. Can anyone provide any advice of where I go from here? How do I work in speed training and or work up mileage a little more? I'm not a confident 5 Ker either....thanks so much!

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,432 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    Currently Being Moderated
    1. Apr 3, 2013 9:53 PM (in response to Kasia33)
    Where do I go now?

The general rule for mileage is to add no more than 10% to your weekly total. So go from 9 miles one week to 10 miles the next to 11, etc. It's usually done by adding a mile to one run at a time. You can also do this based on time. For instance, make each run 33 minutes, then 36, then 40. When you get to three 4 mile/40 minute runs, you should hold for a couple weeks before increasing further. After this hold period you could increase distance futher or introduce the HIIT workout while cutting back to 3 miles on (some or all of) your other runs (depending on how long the HIIT workout is). You shouldn't increase distance and speed at the same time.

The reason for caution in increasing distance or speed is to reduce the chance of injury. This is probably more true with speed as it makes for a more intense workout.

I hope this helps.

Len

Len

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...