Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

684 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Apr 4, 2013 11:28 PM by crl8686 RSS
crl8686 Legend 1,302 posts since
Nov 11, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 1, 2013 5:27 PM

Defective Garmin 410...repair? or replace?

Hi all,

My Garmin Forerunner 410 decided to die after just over two years of flawless service. Probably either the battery or more likely the power management software - it jumps from 100% to 0% state of charge within 5 min, goes into endless rebooting and then shuts off. On recharge it jumps back from 0% to 100% state of charge in 5 min, then I take it off the charger and it repeats the cycle. I tried everything recommended on the web - cleaning contacts, soft resets, master resets, reinstalling firmware, and running the battery down to zero and recharging. Nothing worked. So I contacted Garmin and they offered to replace it with a refurb unit for $89 (of course it is out of warranty).

My other option is to replace the 410 with a different model...although I've compared specs; The 110 and 210 don't have all the features I want. The 310XT seems like a reasonably close match, but it's massive...although I could deal with the size if need be. The 610 costs more than I want to pay.

So: those of you with 410's (or 405's) - what has been your experience with Garmin service? Did you have a successful repair (or exchange)?

Carol

2014 highlights...

@ 5K: Ontario Mills Run, Ontario, CA, 25:19

Angels Baseball Foundation 5K, Anaheim, CA, 24:15

Friends of the Villa Park Library 5K, Villa Park, CA, 24:10

@ 10K: LA Chinatown Firecracker Run, Los Angeles, CA, 51:44

Great Race of Agoura - Old Agoura 10K, Agoura Hills, CA, 50:31

Fiesta Days Run, La Canada, CA, 50:29

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,482 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    1. Apr 2, 2013 10:32 AM (in response to crl8686)
    Defective Garmin 410...repair? or replace?

Carol,

I have a 305 and have had it serviced by Garmin and it worked great!  Takes about 3 weeks it was as good as new for about 70 dollars.  Going on about 1.5 years now.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...