Skip navigation

NEED HELP?|

2304 Views 27 Replies Latest reply: Apr 6, 2013 6:14 PM by ticmattox Go to original post 1 2 Previous Next
  • peter__322 Rookie 4 posts since
    Jan 29, 2005
    Currently Being Moderated
    16. Mar 10, 2010 2:13 PM (in response to 32smykid)
    Re: School ball question

I think most of the replies have been right on the mark (with the exception of the short rant about "wanting to be the star"). Look forward to College Ball and just support the High School team as much as possible. College Coaches really don't care about High School. They will come and see her pitch for her travel team though.

We are in a similar situation in that my daughter is a committed pitcher for her D3 college next year but is not pitching for her High School. In fact its her first year playing for her High School. She is enjoying the chance to have on her High School uniform for softball (did varsity swimming and waterpolo for the last 3 1/2 years). She has been catching and enjoying doing this despite not having been a catcher since 12U. I'm just a tad put out because I had to buy the catchers gear....but it is still fun.

• linda lovelace Amateur 8 posts since
    Jan 11, 2009
    17. Mar 10, 2010 3:32 PM (in response to Sparky_Guy)

she does not need high school ball anyway.  girls who already signed, simply dont need  to play high school ball. the coaches are worse and the talent is far weaker than travel ball anyway.  have her make sure her grades are good..thats more important anyway. most high school coaches play to many favorites .

• Elvis__8 Amateur 9 posts since
    Oct 27, 2003
    19. Mar 14, 2010 3:00 PM (in response to 32smykid)

Once again this tells you a lot about high school coaches. 95% of high school coaches couldn't coach themselves out of a wet paper bag. We go to watch, just to make fun of them.

• MarkH Pro 98 posts since
    Jan 15, 2000
    20. Mar 14, 2010 9:08 PM (in response to MarkH)

I haven't taken a poll to determine percentages but I have seen some very good ones and some bad ones. I can say the same about travel coaches. I think the thing that makes you notice the bad hs coaches is it's harder to leave.

• Spazsdad Amateur 33 posts since
    May 30, 2007
    21. Mar 14, 2010 9:53 PM (in response to MarkH)

And how many HS coaches have to fill key positions that they can't recruit to fill? Easy to "make fun of them" but kind of hard to create a catcher or a SS in a couple of months.

I bet 95% of the people that bag on HS coaches couldn't coach their way out of a wet paper bag either

• RavensDad Rookie 4 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    22. Mar 18, 2010 9:19 AM (in response to Spazsdad)

Everything Mark said.

And if I may add to that, tell your dd not to worry about things she can't control. In college there will be people looking to take her job every day/season and the coach will be looking for upgrades at all positions every year. All she can do is work on her own game and be ready. 

If this minor stuff rattles her self confidence, she could be in a world of hurt.....especially being a pitcher.

Jan 15, 2000
    23. Mar 19, 2010 7:34 AM (in response to Elvis__8)

So how's it working out? Is she implementing the plan and controlling the variables she CAN control?

Jan 15, 2000
    25. Mar 26, 2010 7:21 AM (in response to 32smykid)

Common life situation. She will be better prepared for life and a stronger more mature young lady as a result of this experience. You should be more proud of her handling this well than of accomplishments that have brought success and glory.

• msa8 Rookie 3 posts since
    Mar 29, 2010
    26. Mar 29, 2010 11:54 PM (in response to mrtoo)

I totally understand your frustration.

But my daughter is a junior, she hasn't yet comitted to a college, but has several sending her info on their school.  Our HS coach is treating her the same way as yours is getting treated. Had told her all winter long that she would be the starter at her position. But then chose a girl whose dad comes and watches practice and talks to the coach on a daily basis. (this girl is a freshman) See our coach allows parents to come to practice and watch.  Apparently several dad's come and "chit chat" with the coach and put in their "two cents" (I haven't went and wont go, but have been told this by my daughter and some of her team mates)...now their daughters get the playing time even though there are several upperclass girls that can play better in those girls positions. We too are losing while talented girls sit on the bench and watch.  The politics in HS ball is crazy!! 

You have been getting some great advice from others here...I plan on taking that and hopefully helping my daughter and a couple of her teammates.

Good luck and hopefully things work out in your favor.

• ticmattox Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 6, 2013
    27. Apr 6, 2013 6:14 PM (in response to 32smykid)

Wow!  I am looking at the post dates and nothing has changed in 3 years.  My son is "B-C" studen,t talented and gifted athlete.  He can play any sport with a ball.  The HS coaches have not tried to help him get a scholarship and we are doing it on our own.  He has played sports for 13 years and had been successful until he reached high school.  This is when we were introduced to politics and poor inexperienced coaching.  My advise to any parent looking for athletics as a means to a scholarship is to play/participate in AAU.  If your HS has a good coaching staff, it's a different story.  Your child must also advocate for themselves. 

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...