Skip navigation

639 Views 7 Replies Latest reply: Apr 6, 2013 9:35 AM by AshbyBrewer RSS
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 30, 2013 4:19 PM

3rd Annual "PIG RUN of Lake Nona" Reviews

Share your experiences with the 3rd Annual "PIG RUN of Lake Nona" below Back to event details page.

• Laura and Jeff Rookie 1 posts since
    Aug 15, 2008
    1. Mar 30, 2013 4:19 PM (in response to Guest )
    Re: 3rd Annual "PIG RUN of Lake Nona" Reviews

This is a fun run for a worthy cause, so anyone who is running this for time or an award, be warned that this isn't the race for you.

That being said, this race is awesome because of the Pig Pen (where you eat fresh Dunkin' Donuts), the after race events and the people running it.

Registration was easy and they have a Facebook page you can follow.  Emails are sent out regularly and there's no hidden surprises.

This year they had early race packet pickup, which was great.  Suggestion: Have it also during the day, not just after work, so that there's an extra option (my husband could have swung by during the day.....5-7 traffic is a nightmare and I would have rather avoided it).

There are no bibs, just wrist bands, and it was a bit confusing as I couldn't tell what my color meant (I had signed up for 3 donuts, but didn't remember).  Suggestion: Either have the wrist bands coded with the words "Piglet", "Hog" etc, OR, have the colored wrist bands obvious on the signs (so, "Piglet" is also YELLOW, since that was the color band we wore).  I'd also like to see huge poster signs stating what each color means.  As we lined up and I saw the different colors, I was left wondering who signed up for what number of donuts.

I am never in contention for winning an award for speed (there are nice trophies given to top runners for each donut eating division) and since this is all supposed to be in good fun and for a worthy cause, I am still curious as to how they know who really ate the donuts and who dumped some, just to win a trophy.  In the whole scheme of things, I know it doesn't matter and I am sure karma will catch up with those people who try to cheat the system, but I think I'd like to see the serious eaters/contenders have some sort of accountability other than just their honesty....not to mention, I saw some people during the race actually cut through a side street and not run the whole thing....it doesn't really matter, but as someone who is a "rule" follower, I'd like to see this taken care of somehow   Maybe those who are first, are watched and their bands actually marked when they eat the required number.

The actual 3.1 route is pretty boring.  Ok, very boring.  There's nothing to see at all.  Houses and streets.  Since it's at Lake Nona and the YMCA, there's probably nothing to be done about it being so boring, but maybe as this grows larger, they could put in entertainment, more water stops, etc.  Also, the mile markers were wrong.  Mile 1 was at .8 and Mile 2 was at 2.3  This was according to my Garmin GPS which is very accurate.  The actual race was 3.1, but it's nice to have the mile markers correct as you run and for those without GPS.  Also I needed water at 1.5 at least, not just at the Pig Pen.  In fact, I really could have used water before the race and at mile 1.  Maybe it was there before and I just missed it.

Speaking of Pig Pen, I thought for sure it was at the 1.5 mile mark, but it was almost on top of the 2 mile mark.  This was mentally challenging as I kept expecting it at 1.5 and then not knowing where it really was.....

Ok, this seems to have a lot of negatives, and it's not meant to be that way.  The t-shirts were great , the staff are amazing and the volunteers were all wicked nice (roller blade girls were neat).  Anytime I had a question, I could email or post it to FB and be answered very quickly. The Pig Pen really was nicely organized and so was the end of the race. 

If you don't mind a boring scenic run, and enjoy something different, this is a race to do.  I will sign up again next year because I love the overall ambiance and the uniqueness of the race.  I hope they raised a lot of money for Hailey :)!!!

• slgger Rookie 1 posts since
    Mar 30, 2013
    2. Mar 30, 2013 6:07 PM (in response to Guest )

This was an awesome race.  They kept us well informed leading up to the race, it was well organized, lots of vendors and of course the donuts!  Looking forward to next year.

• kmadden85 Rookie 1 posts since
    Mar 31, 2013
    3. Mar 31, 2013 7:41 AM (in response to Guest )

Laura and Jeff's review was spot on. I had a great time at the event and agree that it was run pretty well. It's definitely not a run for time or an award, but it was fun all the same. The mile markers were wrong as I was running with my GPS. All in all, it was a fun event and I look forward to doing it again next year.

• alrac24 Rookie 1 posts since
    Aug 1, 2012
    4. Apr 1, 2013 6:31 AM (in response to Guest )

I've done a lot of 5Ks and I don't think I've had as much fun as this one! Can't think of a single thing I'd change. We will definitely be back next year.

• AHall05 Rookie 2 posts since
    Apr 8, 2012
    5. Apr 1, 2013 7:33 AM (in response to Guest )

What's not to love about this race?  Great cause, great people, doughnuts, and exercise all wrapped into one.  Did this race last year and had so much fun that my whole family got involved this year.  If you are a seasoned runner or looking for your first 5k this race appeals to the masses.  I'm already looking forward to next year.

• KristenImler82 Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 15, 2012
    6. Apr 3, 2013 5:43 AM (in response to Guest )

This was my first 5K and I had a GREAT time! I loved that each mile was marked so that we knew how far we had gone (and how much farther we had to run), and the Pig Pen idea was genius! I also thought it was neat to run through the neighborhood, as some people brought their morning coffee out on the porch to cheer us on. I can't say that I have a single complaint about the event, and I will definitely sign up again next year!!

• AshbyBrewer Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 6, 2013
    7. Apr 6, 2013 9:35 AM (in response to Guest )

I have ran many races in the past but this has been by far the most enjoyable run I have ever had.

I decided to enter this event as part of a family holiday to Orlando and it certainly added a new dimension to the schedule, getting to spend time with a bunch of great people.

Yes I would have liked official times and place results but it was clear when entering that this was not a race but a fun run.

I thought the organisation was excellent, the pre-race information superb and everything from the donuts to the smiling marshalls, locals and police officers lining the route made for a great event.

Credit to the team who put this event together and hopefully I can join you again in the future.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...