Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

673 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Apr 8, 2013 10:28 PM by HeatherGr
HeatherGr Amateur 10 posts since
Apr 6, 2013
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 7, 2013 12:09 AM

PRIOR AND RECURRING IT BAND SET BACK...Is a 5k the day before a half ok?

Hello!  I am a 29yo f 5'8" 135lb.  I have been a casual runner for a few years (1-3 miles a couple times a week), but just recently(over the last 12 weeks of training) started training for a half marathon.  The half is in 7 days.  So let's back up....

Week 3 of training

-right knee lateral pain

-exercise physiologist said IT band

-used foam roller, the "stick", and added a hip/quad/glute strengthening routine

-didn't really take a long time off running (maybe 3-4 days) bc my drive to run was too high

-started taking 400mg ibuprofen or 440mg naproxen when knee hurt or 30 min before run

-started icing knee 15min on three times a day after runs

week 5 of training

-did 8k and a 7 mile run and no knee pain WIN!

-tried the KT tape stuff, might have helped? hard to tell

week 9 of running

-left knee lateral pain (well at least we know it's not asymmetry!)

-doctor diagnosed IT band again and I had him take XRAYs just because I was paranoid

-4 days off running, which was difficult

-started using voltaren gel (diclofenac) instead of taking so much ibuprofen and naproxen orally

-still icing after runs

Now,  I am in week 12 of training.  My long runs are at 8-9 miles (not where I wanted to be, but I have been following 10% rule and cutting back with IT band flare ups).  No real pain when running though left lateral knee is tender after runs.

There's a 5k on Sat then my half on Sun. My husband is running the 5k with me which is an accomplishment for him.  I am afraid the 5k will cause inflammation the day before the half and make my knee more susceptible to pain on Sunday.  When it really flares up I have to walk and I want to avoid walking more than minimally during this half.  Is there any truth to my fear or is running the 5k the day before ok?  AND are there any other measures I should be taking?

Thank you to anyone who takes the time to reply!  Time is so precious

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,431 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008

Personally, I'd run the 5K and skip the half!  Not to pick on you but I don't see how you could go from "1-3 miles a couple times a week" to being adequately trained for a half marathon in 12 weeks, particularly with injuries along the way and "cutting back with IT band flare ups".  The numbers just don't add up.  Good luck, whatever you decide.

Len

Len

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points