Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

370 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Apr 9, 2013 2:36 PM by lenzlaw RSS
KunzeR Rookie 1 posts since
Apr 9, 2013
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 9, 2013 10:52 AM

First Half Marathon -- Help!

Hi All, this is my first half marathon and I'm struggling a little bit.  I have one month until my first half marathon.  I did something I shouldn't have done last week and that was donate blood....since then I have been struggling.  I ran 9 miles the Saturday before I donated blood.....now I am struggling with 7.  Will this get better soon?

Thanks!

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,482 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    1. Apr 9, 2013 10:59 AM (in response to KunzeR)
    First Half Marathon -- Help!

You will be fine, drink plenty of water and take it easy for a week!

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,332 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    2. Apr 9, 2013 2:36 PM (in response to KunzeR)
    Re: First Half Marathon -- Help!

Yes, you just gave up a good-size percentage of your oxygen carrying capacity.  You should be OK for your half.  Here's the info.  It does vary person-to-person. You will probably feel sluggish for a few days to a week after donating. It will take about 24 hours to replace the fluid but the hemoglobin/red cells take a few weeks (typically 4 weeks for red cells, 8 weeks for the iron). And those are the O2 carriers. Proper diet helps but it still takes time. I have run a pretty good race (up to 10 miles) about 2 weeks after donating. So you should be OK for the half. I'm usually good for all but the very longest runs (i.e. 20 milers) within a couple weeks.

Len

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points