Skip navigation

633 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Apr 11, 2013 10:12 PM by Rich_Ives RSS
Lou_B Community Moderator 1,319 posts since
May 25, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 9, 2013 9:51 AM

MLB "Ooops" !

Can't argue balls and strikes but Joe Madden certainly wasn't happy about it !!!

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20130409&content_id=44287208&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb

• BlueBeak Legend 300 posts since
    Nov 26, 2002
    1. Apr 9, 2013 3:17 PM (in response to Lou_B)
    MLB "Ooops" !

From what I've read, the HPU has said that had he the opportunity to replay this, he would not have called a strike. I have only seen the replay from the "left of centerfield" camera. While it does not look like a strike from that angle, I will not judge. The camera angle (for the purpose of judging a strike) was not adequate. Is there another/better angle available?

Time wounds all heels.....

• Rich_Ives Legend 1,283 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    3. Apr 11, 2013 10:12 PM (in response to Lou_B)
    MLB "Ooops" !

Just for the record:

In OBR the bottom of the strike zone is ther hollow beneath the kneecap and it's a strike if any part of the ball touches the strike zone so it very well could have been a strike in the "low" aspect.

Also, in MLB the umpires are much MUCH more likely to call the pitch based on where it was when over the plate and not get faked out by where the catcher caught it.  Because MLB pitch movement is so proniunced vs. your typical amateur pitcher the pitch really does go through the zone only to be caught well away from it.  Plus the official Questec or whatever they use now is set to call where the ball was at the plate and that's what the umpires get graded on.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...