Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

5377 Views 28 Replies Latest reply: May 2, 2013 4:14 PM by SeeFluffyRun RSS Go to original post 1 2 Previous Next
  • SeeFluffyRun Legend 251 posts since
    Sep 2, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    15. Apr 8, 2013 4:58 PM (in response to Number1Ump)
    Started C25K in Late March 2013?

Welcome number! My daughter is 16 and a runner  on Saturday we went for a run together which basically consisted of me starting out 5 minutes before her, smiling at her as she whizzed by and then see her when I get home. She had done 6 miles and I had done 2.5. Lol

Graduated C25K 08/09/2009

Restarted 04/01/2013

Follow me on my journey: SEEFLUFFYRUN

Twitter: @SeeFluffyRun

Facebook: SeeFluffyRun

Blog: seefluffyrun.blogspot.com

• jenperry2003 Rookie 3 posts since
    Mar 27, 2013
    16. Apr 8, 2013 5:58 PM (in response to SingingPilgrim)

I've finished week 2!!  Today was the first day that I didn't hate it...  It was really odd, honestly.    I'm thinking that I may do one more week 2 workout before starting week 3...  Any suggestions? 

I'm starting to get a lot of people interested in what I'm doing, which is really awesome!

• rookierunnermama Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 11, 2013
    20. Apr 11, 2013 1:58 PM (in response to SingingPilgrim)

Hey y'all! I am new here (just registered, ha) and quite new to running. I am on c25k week 3 (day 3 tomorrow). Any advice, encouragement, criticism, I will take anything you've got. I need all the help I can get!

Have always enjoyed exercise but never enjoyed pushing myself...if that makes sense? I did "easy" exercise, lol. In college I stayed active playing intramural sports, went to the gym a good bit, but have truly never run a full mile without stopping.

I just had a baby (8 weeks ago) and have another toddling around as well (18 months). I'm doing this for them.

I have been able to complete each workout so far but this week, I'm struggling. I feel great (accomplished, endorphin-ized, refreshed, exhausted!) after each workout, but I can't help feeling discouraged also. It is harder than I ever thought.

• NickAbbru Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 11, 2013
    21. Apr 13, 2013 9:33 AM (in response to SingingPilgrim)
    Re: Started C25K in Late March 2013?

I will be starting week 2 tomorrow Ive been doing ok so far except with breathing. any advice for a Newbie on breathing better?

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,276 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    22. Apr 13, 2013 7:38 PM (in response to NickAbbru)
    Re: Started C25K in Late March 2013?

It sounds silly, but, breathe however works for you. In/out, whether nose or mouth. Personally I can't get enough air using only my nose. There is not really a particular way that works or is correct for everyone. Though a recent issue of Runners World (March or April, I think) had an article on a "new", "revolutionary" technique that is neither new nor revolutionary, but it might be worth a read to get some ideas.

So, a couple of general notes that may help.

1.) Breathe in for 2 or 3 steps, then out for 2 or 3 steps. The exact count will vary depending on what becomes most comfortable to you. I generally inhale/exhale for 2 steps each.. But sometimes I will inhale for 3 and exhale for 2.

2.) Run at a pace where you can speak in short sentences, even if you have to talk to yourself. If you can't do that you're going too fast and it can be hard to get a rhythm going. If you can speak long sentences or sing the entire Bohemian Rhapsody without a break, you're going too slow (or maybe walking).

One other thing, if you're having problems catching your breath, slow down a little. It doesn't take much and it's very effective.

Realistically, the less you think about it, the easier and less noticable it will be.

Len

Len

• wantaberunner Rookie 7 posts since
    Apr 2, 2013
    23. Apr 15, 2013 7:31 PM (in response to lenzlaw)

just a update,  did finish week 2 yesterday,  but did have problems.  left knee lower inside was hurting bad.   not sure what it is but gonna take a few extra days off and try again.  been icing and relaxing it.  

• LAOZ Rookie 3 posts since
    May 1, 2013
    24. May 1, 2013 10:36 AM (in response to rookierunnermama)

I am new  here.  I started C25K in April I am starting Week 5 tonight  I am finishing, but struggling.  Should I be struggling so much?  A lot of pain too, I am 46 and have never run

I have previous knee issue to to IT Band.  I am trying to go slow like everyone says but what does that mean?   I signed up with friends for a local 5K in June and I want to be able

to run with them they are all runners.  I try to keep my pace between 10:30 and 11:15 on my runs, what should I keep my walks at?  I feel like I am never going  to be able to run

a 5k in 4 weeks.  I can barely get through the 5 minutes of running now.  does it get easier/better.  I don't love it, but i really want to.  Any suggestions or motivation would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!!

Sep 2, 2009
    25. May 1, 2013 6:57 PM (in response to LAOZ)

Hi Loaz, we are about the same age.  Remember running is a technique and not a pace.  We all get caught up in the pace...especially people like me who are data junkies.  I have to admit...I am pretty jealous of that 10:30-11:15 minute pace.  Right now you are learning how to run and to do distance runs, not faster runs. So you should be able to talk in the middle of running. If you find yourself out of breadth then slow down.  If, like me, sometimes you get caught up staying at a pace and not listening to your body, you will run faster than you should. When I find myself doing that...I turn off the pace feedback on my app. It forces me to listen to my body for cues. 

As for getting past 5 minutes.  I was the same way.  Surprisingly, when I had to do my first run that was over 8 minutes, I realized it takes 8 minutes of running for me to actually get my running legs.  It is only when I past 8 minutes that I found my running rhythm.  But the only way I found that out was by slowing down slow enough to have enough wind and energy to get to that point. 

It sounds like you are doing great.  I keep my walks at a brisk pace that keeps my heart rate up.  If it starts to really go down then I am doing a pace for my cool down...my test is if I can sing.  If I can sing, I am going too slow.  (well lets be honest I am tone deaf so I never can really sing but I try) LOL

Restarted 04/01/2013

May 1, 2013
    26. May 2, 2013 11:27 AM (in response to SeeFluffyRun)

Thanks I think you are right I am too much of a data junkie between my app and my watch im not enjoying the run.  I have to say last night was the first night I semi enjoyed

it  I did week 5 day 1.  And I have been on vacation in Disney for the past 5 days and still felt good.  my pace was much slower about 12.15.  But I felt like i could run more

at the end.  I am going to try to maintain a slower pace next run, maybe 11:30 and see how I do  I am still clocking in at 1.8 miles with the walk run and I am half way through

so I am scared I won't be able to run 3 miles in a few weeks.  I think day 3 of this week I do a 15 minute run so I will see how I do with that.  I agree in the 5 minute runs I am not

getting a rythem.  maybe after this week.  My boyfriend is a marathon runner and iron man I am in no way ever wanting to do that, but I'd like to be able to run with him on short runs and enjoy it.  I am excited for my first 5 k but still worried I am not going to be ready.  I have 5 weeks left.

May 1, 2013
    27. May 2, 2013 11:34 AM (in response to lenzlaw)

What is an average time for a first 5k?  just want to know I completely understand its different for everyone.  but i need goals  so please just an average time to shoot for for my first 5k after dong c25k for 9 weeks and never running previously.  I am not over weight and am in my 40's.    thanks!!!

Sep 2, 2009
    28. May 2, 2013 4:14 PM (in response to LAOZ)

somewhere between 30 and 45 minutes?  My sister was 54 when she ran her first one and she is not overweight and did it in 33 minutes, My bestfriend did it in 45 minutes and she isnt' overweight and was 34

Restarted 04/01/2013

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...