Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2681 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Apr 15, 2013 6:19 AM by gopikumar10 RSS
raimondog Rookie 1 posts since
Apr 3, 2013
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 3, 2013 7:11 PM

have a crazy question

I have literally just started the C25K this past week. I have never ran/jogged before and need to know the proper way to breath...I've tried to research it, and I'm getting answers from Breath in through nose out through mouth, or breath in and out through mouth to just do what ever you feel feels right?  Please help! I don't want to hyperventolate on my first week!!!

• wantaberunner Rookie 7 posts since
    Apr 2, 2013
    1. Apr 3, 2013 7:25 PM (in response to raimondog)
    have a crazy question

im not a pro and i just started today myself.  but i listened to some good advice and "go slow"  if you go slow enough breathing should be a little easier.  well at least it was for me today.  good luck with your journey though and happy trails

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,373 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    2. Apr 3, 2013 9:32 PM (in response to raimondog)
    Re: have a crazy question

It sounds silly, but, breathe however works for you. In/out, whether nose or mouth. Personally I can't get enough air using only my nose. There is not really a particular way that works or is correct for everyone. Though a recent issue of Runners World (March or April, I think) had an article on a "new", "revolutionary" technique that is neither new nor revolutionary, but it might be worth a read to get some ideas.

So, a couple of general notes that may help.

1.) Breathe in for 2 or 3 steps, then out for 2 or 3 steps. The exact count will vary depending on what becomes most comfortable to you. I generally inhale/exhale for 2 steps each.. But sometimes I will inhale for 3 and exhale for 2. 

2.) Run at a pace where you can speak in short sentences, even if you have to talk to yourself. If you can't do that you're going too fast and it can be hard to get a rhythm going. If you can speak long sentences or sing the entire Bohemian Rhapsody without a break, you're going too slow (or maybe walking).

Realistically, the less you think about it, the easier and less noticable it will be.

Len

Len

• Run FL Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 7, 2013
    3. Apr 10, 2013 6:34 AM (in response to raimondog)
    have a crazy question

I believe you should just breathe whichever way feels most natural to you. I cannot breathe just through my nose for too long. If I happen to develop a side stitch it helps if I change my breathing for a few seconds. That's the only time I deliberately breathe through my nose. Do you run with music? Try singing along, maybe you won't think about your breathing so much.

• Debbie Kimbriel Amateur 13 posts since
    Apr 15, 2009
    4. Apr 10, 2013 7:24 AM (in response to raimondog)
    have a crazy question

I can't breathe through my nose.  I mouth breathe.  Just breathe.  You will find that when you start, you will pant and breathe hard and have all kinds of problems.  Your breathing will change as you get fitter.  I read a book that said "You started breathing when you are born.  Your body already knows how to do this."  Only concentrate on your breathing if you need a distraction.  You are better off forgetting your breathing and concentrating on hitting the ground with your feet balanced and under your hips.  Concentrate on keeping your shoulders back and your arms relaxed.  This will make breathing easier because you will forget about it.  I have been running for 3 years now and I'm still working on my breathing and heart rate.  It's a neverending process.

• gopikumar10 Amateur 19 posts since
    Feb 6, 2013
    5. Apr 15, 2013 6:19 AM (in response to raimondog)
    have a crazy question

well i will suggest you to breathe from the nose cause this is the correct way after a while you will feel your running distance is increasing day by day.

Facebook Covers

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points