Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

369 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Apr 10, 2013 7:07 PM by lenzlaw RSS
MauraFeeney Rookie 1 posts since
Jan 19, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 10, 2013 2:02 PM

Blister help

I have been experiencing really bad blisters on the ball of both feet, right near my big toe.  I have been doing most of my running in compression socks and I am wondering if this is causing the blisters.  Does anyone have any good ideas for blister prevention and/or recovery?!

• JamesJohnsonLMT Legend 1,145 posts since
    Aug 23, 2009
    1. Apr 10, 2013 3:08 PM (in response to MauraFeeney)
    Re: Blister help

Not sure from your description exactly where the blisters are, but it doesn't sound like they'd be coming from the socks. If I were you, I'd run a few weeks with regular running socks and see if there is any difference.

I was just reading yesterday that compression clothing is not always recommended for long-term use, but if there was a blister problem from the socks, I'd expect it to be as a result of toe crowding, as in between the toes. Still, I'd try going without for a while as a test.

You didn't say how long you have been running, which matters in a case like this, but there could be a common biomechanical issue like overpronation, or maybe some other reason to develop the blisters.

In most cases, though, it is usually found to be the shoes. A good rule of thumb is to rotate pairs of shoes through the week so your feet are not being pinched in exactly the same places every time you run. The set you have may be irritating your feet, perhaps with too narrow a toe box, or too small (always size up for running), but it doesn't mean you have to throw them away. Just use them part of the time if they are not obviously painful to use.

When troubleshooting footwear, as in any experiment, you'll learn more if you change one thing at a time to get specific results. If you change everything at once, you may never know exactly what you are supposed to avoid the next time, and neither will we

Here's an example of a common problem with foot biomechanics that can cause calluses near the ball of the foot, but I doubt that it applies in your case.

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,326 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    2. Apr 10, 2013 7:07 PM (in response to JamesJohnsonLMT)
    Re: Blister help

I've had a problem sometimes with blisters on the ball of my foot, right behind the big toe.  In my case, it seemed to be caused by the insole, somehow creating excess friction. Getting an after-market insole (nothing special as long as it was comfortable) helped.

Len

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...