Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

667 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Apr 11, 2013 8:02 AM by edensacres
edensacres Pro 197 posts since
Jun 19, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 2, 2013 7:07 AM

What to pack - roadtripping to first half

I will be completing my first half marathon in 32 days.  (let me repeat myself...I WILL BE completing my first half marathon in 32 days).  The Flying Pig in Cincinnati May 5th.  We are driving in on Friday, the race is Sunday.  Monday, we will take the 6 hour drive back home.   Trying to imagine what I might possibly need/want before and after.  Other than the obvious, running shoes, race day outfit (with hot/cold/wet options) what would you recommend I pack/bring?

Thanks for your ideas!

Happy Running!

Stephanie

Started C25K 3/29/11 for the third time - Graduated 7/1/11 - some of us take longer

Completed Races

Webster Co. Woodchopping Festival 5K (5/28/11) 38:03 "Holy crap! Did he just say 38 something? I was hopinig for 45 minutes"

Never underestimate yourself!

That Dam Race 5K 7/23/11 44:46 - a challenging route & a hot day- but I will do better next year!

"Run for the Ta-Ta's 5K 10/29/11 39:54 in the snow!

Woodchoppers 5K 5/26/12 36:08 My 5 year old was 5 minutes behind me. Way to go Liat!

Fly By 10k 6/16/12 1:24:12

And the dream race...

"Flying Pig Half Marathon" Cincinnati, OH (May 2013)

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,413 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    1. Apr 2, 2013 1:20 PM (in response to edensacres)

Something for chafing (bodyglide/vasoline), chapstick, dry clothes for immediately after the race - at least socks and shirt, could include shoes, jacket and pants (can be useful pre-race too). Any favorites you have for hydration, fueling and pre-race breakfast. A personal porta-potti would be nice but maybe a bit bulky.

Len

Len

• Art Davis Pro 112 posts since
    Jan 30, 2008
    2. Apr 3, 2013 4:05 AM (in response to edensacres)

1) glide

2) Chapstick

3) an hydration belt such as a fuel belt

4) a couple of packs of GU

5) sweat band

6) dry clothes

7) Have Fun!

8) Let us know how you did!

Art

http://fitatfifty-art.blogspot.com/

Getting Fit at Fifty

http://fitatfifty-art.blogspot.com/

• HeatherGr Amateur 10 posts since
    Apr 6, 2013
    3. Apr 7, 2013 2:08 AM (in response to edensacres)

I leave for my first half in seven days!  So I love your question!  I will add things I have jotted down on my list.  They might not apply to you but just add these to the lists above if you want (the previous posts are pretty good)...

-instant ice pack(s) (incase I feel the need)

-ibuprofen/naproxen

-lenzlaw said this one but "pre-race breakfast" because I think it will be important to eat something you are used to

-sunscreen

I hope your training is going well!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points