Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

415 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Apr 25, 2013 5:22 AM by lifl2003 RSS
Iamthemountains Rookie 2 posts since
Nov 28, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 16, 2013 4:49 AM

*WE MUST SHOW OUR SUPPORT AND UNITY*

Often when there is a tragedy in a sporting event, there's some show of solidarity between the athletes. What are we going to do as a community of athletes to symbolize our support and recognition of the Boston Marathon Bombings?

Something like a black wristband that everyone could wear to their next race, maybe one shoe with black laces.  Something that unites us as a community in showing our lack of fear and our ultimate support of our fallen athletes; many of whom had just finished the marathon moments before the blasts took their legs.

Maybe that safety yellow color could be involved, in recognition of those who rushed through the smoke and shrapnel to aid those injured.

Ideas? We should make this happen SOON!

Be Good, and Be Bad when it Feels Right.

• Running4urlife Pro 72 posts since
    Oct 6, 2011
    1. Apr 16, 2013 11:09 AM (in response to Iamthemountains)

I LOVE the idea.....I'm on board with anything....I like the wristband idea and/or the shoelace....something that is noticeable to show the coward(s) who did this that we will stand united and will NOT give in to fear.   Is there a way to post something to ALL on Active.com instead of trying to do it one person at a time?  Does this website have the ability to put together a VOTE button and whichever idea gets the most votes is what we go with?  Or in light of time, should we just start telling people to wear one black shoelace in honor of the Boston Marathon Bombings? 

COMPLETED RACES

2010 - Hot Chocolate 5k/15k ---47:24 (walked...first race in 10 years!)

2011 - Hot Chocolate 5k/15k ---- 33:53

2012 - St. Paddy's Day 8k/5k Run....58:59....FIRST 8K!

2012 - Tiger 5k Speedway Racetrack....35:38

2012 - Short Run on a Long Day 5k in Frankfort....34:43

2012 - Fort2Base - 3 Nautical Mile (3.45 miles).....36:44

2012 - Hot Chocolate 5k/15k.....31:46...PR!!

2013 - Mar - St. Paddy's Day 5k/8k Run...34.26

2013 - Apr - Tiger 5k Speedway Racetrack...34:36...2nd place in my "old age" group

2013 - May - Solider Field 10 Miler...2:01:26

2013 - June - Chicago Color Run (not timed)

2013 - June - Women's Chicago 1/2 Marathon....2:43:04

• Kelly1066 Pro 108 posts since
    Jul 12, 2012
    2. Apr 16, 2013 11:50 AM (in response to Running4urlife)

I like this idea, I like the idea of continuing to run, I love hearing the huge outpouring of support and how many people are pledging to make the Boston Marathon even bigger and better and more special next year than ever before.

My husband ran Boston, and we had some scary moments when we were worried he might have gone back towards the finish to watch a coworker cross the line.  Luckily for us, he and our family are safe.  We only wish everyone were so lucky.

I wrote a post about responding to the crisis encouraging people to commit an act of good to promote change in the world out of respect for what has happened.  I thought I'd share it here since athletes are such motivated and amazing people who might be willing to do something like donate blood in remembrance, or make a donation to a non profit, or something that will help others.

http://kellysnormal.blogspot.com/2013/04/response-to-boston-marathon-tragedy-be.html

I write a running blog geared towards other new runners at http://www.iamrunningthis.com!

Couch to 5K graduate, September 2012

First 10K, June 2nd, 2013

First Half Marathon, September 2013

Twitter: @iamrunningthis

• lifl2003 Pro 129 posts since
    Sep 30, 2008
    4. Apr 25, 2013 5:22 AM (in response to Iamthemountains)

I love the ideas. 

The Country Music Marathon is giving out gel wristbands.  I am running the Long Island Half and they have stated that

they will be doing "something" for Boston but they haven't published what that is yet.

For me I am an NYPD Detective and a member of the NYPD Running Club. I plan on running in my NYPD Running Club singlet with a Boston PD

patch affixed to the front of it as I run the Long Island Half Marathon on May 5th.

Mike

"I can't means I won't"

My Blog - http://http://runningonli.blogspot.com/

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points