Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2114207 Views 11,397 Replies Latest reply: Aug 12, 2014 7:32 PM by lenzlaw RSS Go to original post 1 ... 718 719 720 721 722 ... 760 Previous Next
  • Timber09 Rookie 2 posts since
    Apr 3, 2013
    Currently Being Moderated
    10,785. Apr 3, 2013 9:55 PM (in response to SeeFluffyRun)
    200+ Pound Club!

Wanted to this post...I don't personally listen to music or anything while I run....I find I enjoy myself a lot more and seem to do better taking in everything around me...not to mention that traffic is an issue where I run so I need to be somewhat aware.

The program I use for tracking is endomondo....decent free program and I think to upgrade is only $2 but I have no idea what comes with that.

• Zdd1236 Rookie 1 posts since
    May 6, 2008
    10,786. Apr 4, 2013 8:29 AM (in response to SeeFluffyRun)
    200+ Pound Club!

This is my first post, because... this is the first time I saw this in my Active emails!  I thought this was an awesome group created because I've been 200+ for over 10 years, really since High School.  But I can tell you that once I started running, it became addictive!  I ran my one and only marathon a year and a half ago, after only running one 5K before beginning my tranining!  It was and unbelieveable journey and made me a runner for life.

Back to Fluffy's post though, I did all my training and still do without music.  When I learned you're not supposed to run with headphones I started from the get go getting used to no music.  I learned that when I'm running around a city/town it's not a problem.  When I'm running trails I get bored very quickly.  I think it has to do with me being able to look around and see the scenery change in the city as opposed to knowing whats next on a trail, trees and more boring trees!

One other thing I learned about not needing music is that with my GPS watch I'm constantly checking my speed, pace, and distance.  I know this is not advised but it helps me.  I track the pace more than anything because I'm trying to ensure I'm not running too fast on my long runs.  Finally, it also helps me to think about when my next break is coming, every two miles!   

Hope this helps a little bit.  And thank you to the one who started this group! 

Z

• SeeFluffyRun Legend 251 posts since
    Sep 2, 2009
    10,787. Apr 6, 2013 10:16 PM (in response to Zdd1236)
    200+ Pound Club!

I prefer the music because it drowns out my heavy breathing LOL.  I have decided on a cocktail of turn on NIke plus for tracking because it imports to mapmyrun and Ease 25K for the training portion. It seems to work for me. 

Graduated C25K 08/09/2009

Restarted 04/01/2013

Follow me on my journey: SEEFLUFFYRUN

Twitter: @SeeFluffyRun

Facebook: SeeFluffyRun

Blog: seefluffyrun.blogspot.com

• dkknaebel Amateur 28 posts since
    Nov 29, 2012
    10,788. Apr 8, 2013 5:20 AM (in response to SeeFluffyRun)
    200+ Pound Club!

Well I ran in my second 5k, I was 17 seconds slower, but to be fair, I was home sick all of the week of 3/25 with a horrible case of the flu and I was really congested still, I probably should have walked most of it.  But I ran about half and I'm pleased. I got a really bad pain in my hip, kind of near my inner thigh between mile 1-2, so that slowed me down some, I found myself dragging my toe a couple of times. But my son went out and won 2nd place in his division, so now he's finished 1st and 2nd in his first two races. Figures!

12/3/2012- Began C25K

12/7/2012-Fell and broke left wrist

2/17/2013- Back to C25K

3/2/2013 First 5K- Suncoast Classic finished in 48:59

4/6/2013- Seminole Stampede 49:17

5/25/2013- Color Me Rad- Tampa

• PnTrn Rookie 1 posts since
    Nov 4, 2012
    10,789. Apr 10, 2013 12:59 PM (in response to lenzlaw)
    200+ Pound Club!

I've never posted to a blog before.  I started C25k in August 2012 and ran my first 5k in February 2013 in Disney World at 247 pounds and 47 years old.  I have wanted to run my entire life and am very happy with my results so far.

I averaged a 13.44 minute mile for my first race and have registered for two more this year.  I also registered for the run/walk division so I could set my own pace.

My advice to all is use C25k on your phone and download some great music.  I finished it right before my first race in February. 

My doctor has been guiding me through this entire process and I'm very glad.  She slowed me way down and my leg pain went away.  I also joined Weight Watchers and have lost 16 pounds.  Take it slow and pay attention to your body.

One other piece of advice I could offer is don't give up!  Even if you miss a month start again as soon as you have the energy.  Start slow and work your way back up. 

A community like this is a wonderful forum for motivation and advice.  Thank you all for being a part of this with me.

Shelly

• William Connelly Rookie 6 posts since
    May 7, 2008
    10,790. Apr 10, 2013 2:30 PM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

Hi all -  Don't know if I still qualify for membership in the 200+ club, but I'll share my story briefly and encourage everyone who's trying to hang in there.

10 years ago, at age 51 and 250lbs (and gaining), I found myself in a bad position.  I had been a total couch potato since college, and had never been remotely athletic.  The weight had come on in my late 30's and just stayed.  Something had to change.  No diets, but I began to simply pay attention to what I was eating (it helped to literally write everything down, but no calorie counting - I don't have the discipline).  I lost about 20lbs over 7 months. 

To reward me, my wife bought me the services of a personal trainer for 6 weeks and I started weight training.  I swore to him that I'd never run - too boring! But I stuck with my eating plan and weight work and periodically used the trainer again.  After 6 months he had me walking, then a year after that some tentative running when the walking just wasn't enough anymore.  I'd dropped down to 200lbs and felt great.  I was eating anything I wanted, just being careful about balancing and portioning.  About a year beyond that, signed up solo for my first 5K, and finished, mostly (went straight home and to bed!). 

But I did sign up for more 5K's over the next years, then a 10K or two each year (personally I think marathoners are crazy, but to each his/her own . . . ).  I got down below 190lbs.  Worried about some hypothetical future problem with a knee, I began to bike, then later to swim.  Before I knew it, at the age of 56, I became a triathlete, finishing 5-7 sprint triathlons each season since.  I'll be 61 in a week, my weight hovers between 190 & 195lbs (I'm 6'-3"), and my grown kids can't keep up with me.

Lesson: it can be done!  Patience and modest perserverance have been enough, even with my undisciplined nature.  I've never gotten that "runner's high" and just forcing myself out the door is often a challenge, but the rewards (health, appearance, beer, ice cream, etc. . . . ) make it all worthwhile.  Keep the faith club-members!

• JessicaStiesi Rookie 1 posts since
    Feb 25, 2013
    10,791. Apr 10, 2013 4:00 PM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

Hi everyone! I don't know if I qualify for the group either, but thought I'd share my story as well.

I've never been particularly athletic or active my entire life. I had always maintained a decent weight but when I met my husband and we started dating I immediately put on the lbs because we were constantly going out to dinners, movies, and his family loved to feed me. After our first son I was over 200 and then after our second my weight just kept climbing. Around Christmas I was 5'4" and 220lbs (only 4 lbs away from what I was the day my second son was born). And my husband had been having some health/energy issues as well.  So we decided to start eating better and joined weight watchers.  He of course lost weight faster than me so I decided I wanted to start exercising so I could keep up with him. I started a mommy bootcamp class two times per week and found out that they were signing up to do the 5K Color Run and it sounded really fun.  I had enough time to do the C25K before hand so I signed up and gave myself a goal.  My husband started the training with me and we are now on week 7 (he only gets to come with me because he pushes our kids in the stroller) .  When we started out I NEVER thought it would get easier and I NEVER thought I'd be able to run for an extended amount of time without stopping.  I remember dreading the first time I had to run 5 minutes in a row!  I am now down to 193lbs and every week it is getting a little easier.  It is still difficult and I still have to drag myself out of the house most days, but I feel so much better and so proud of myself for sticking with it.  I am doing the Color Run on May 5th and I am excited and nervous to see how it goes.  I am averaging about a 13 minute mile and hope to get it down to 11-12 minutes in time for the race.  I'm also nervous about what to do with myself after the 5K is over. Sign up for more 5K's? Start training for a 10K? I'm not sure where I will go from here.  But I'm proud of myself for doing it, especially since I used to be the person that said "I'll only start running if something is chasing me."  Hmm, maybe I'll sign up for a zombie 5K??

• snakespol Rookie 2 posts since
    Jul 21, 2008
    10,792. Apr 11, 2013 5:54 AM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

Good Morning,

So, I'm new here. I'm a 55 YOM. I started running in 2008. I ran a 1/2 marathon in 2009 and was laid up just after that with AT for about 8 months. Overtraining. I've been as low as 201lbs and as high as 235. I've been plagued with several annoying injuries.

So, as of November of 2012 I started trainig "smart". I am being very careful of how much milage put on per week. I read as many articles as I can find on my different ailments and follow the advice. So far everything is working fine. I'm managing my AT and the symptoms seem to improve with every passing week. I have been losing weight at the rate of about 2 to 3 pounds per week. I'm currently at 212. I am training for a 10 miler in Philly on May 5th and my long runs are up to 9 miles.

I have gotten to the point that if I miss a "run day" it really bothers me. I have found great peace in running and I can now understand the passion that people have for this sport.

I truly believe that this activity will help me live a longer and healthier life.

I have been all around the board with trying expensive shoes to high tech gadgets for running. Trial and error seem to be the way to great understanding. I now run with $69 Asics that I love, I use my droid phone with the free version of "Map My Run" for tracking my runs.

Now, if I can just find a way to deal with the heat.

Good Running to All.

• Krandor Rookie 1 posts since
    Jun 3, 2012
    10,793. Apr 11, 2013 10:01 AM (in response to Wideguy)
    Re: 200+ Pound Club!

Just checking in here.  I started my Journey at around 300 pounds around November/December of last year.  Mostly maintained through that with just a slight loss and also started doing C25K program.  After the holidays really got serious.  I am currrently down about 55 pounds with probably about another 85 to go.  I have done one "5K" but was a lot more then that. Did the biggest loser offroad challenge which was a startan race but with different rules. toughest thing I have ever done but was a lot of fun.  I will be back next year and possibly running it by normal rules.  I am done with c25K and the birdge to 10K.  I am about 5.5 miles on my long runs, but the temporarue just increased about 20 degrees in a few days so my distance is down a bit due to that.

I have a 5K this saturday and a few more scheduled inclluding a vampire 5K in 2 weeks which should be lots of fun.  I am also signed up for the peachtree road race here in Atlanta which is a HUGE 10k in July (it will be HOT most likely).  Also this week I signed up for the disney half marathon next January.  I am not close to ready for a half marathon, but it is 9 months out so time t get ready and I should be close to if not at my goal weight by then if I keep on the pace I'm been doing which has been been around 3-5 pounds a week.  I am also working with a personal trainer on the strength side of things which could impact my goal weight if I build muscle mass, but I'll deal with that when I get much closer to goal.  I had so much fun doing the biggest loser rules version of the spartan race I want to do a lot more of those next year but need to get a lot more upper body strength first). 

So if things go as planned the half marathon at disney will just be the start of lots of fun races and obstacle course races for next year.  For this year, sticking with 5ks and 10ks mostly while training for the disney half marathon.  It is a lot easier now after dropping 55 pounds then it was when I started, but I still have a lot more to go before I'm done with the weight side and even when I hit my goal on weight I want to improve what I can for these mud races and maybe eventually a full marathon or Disneys new "dopey challenge" (which is running a 5k, 10k, half, and full on consecutive days). 

Lots I want to do and things I plan to be able to do, but a step at a time.  5k this saturday, 10k for peachtree in july and half next January is a very reasonable and possible progression especially with continued weight loss. 

• ffmedicmt Amateur 23 posts since
    Oct 4, 2011
    10,794. Apr 14, 2013 6:03 PM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

Just checking in again. Love reading everyone stories. Mine is listed in my signature. Still plugging away little by little. I stopped running from Oct-Dec and my weight went right back up to 275# and I knew I had to start again, It was a slow start as I was only able to do 1 mile. Today I did 5 miles and my pace is 10:15 - 10:30. I was reading my signature and it made me proud to see what I have done. Just reading all your stories has renewed my dirve

Started running July 1st 2011

Weight #306

Height 6'0"

First 5k Sept 3rd 2011 time 34:39

Second 5k Oct 1st 2011 time 30:11

Oct 8th 2011 Mackinaw Bridge 5.6 miles time 56:42

Third 5k 11/24/11 Dork Brothers Turkey Trot 5k Alpena, MI time 27:40

Fourth 5k March 17th 2012 Dork Brothers St Paddy day 5k Alpena, MI 30:25

Ffifth 5k April 28th 2012 Autisim speaks run/walk Rogers City,MI 27:40

First Half Marathon, May 26th 2012 Bayshore Marathon Traverse City MI. 2 hrs 22 Mins

Current Weight 225#

Shooting for Half Marathon in May 2012 *********** I did it !!!!!

June 9th 2012 Mackinac Island Lilac fest 10k 1:04:02

July 4th 2012 Dork Brothers run 5k 29:45

Aug 4th 2012 Nautical fest Rogers city 6k 44:44 with a 12:05 pace with daughter Melissa as her eyes

Aug 25th 2012 Crim race flint 10 mi 02:04:57

Current Weight 240#

Sept 1 2012 Aliferis 5k Alpena 36:13 with daughter Melissa (who is blind)

Sept 3rd 2012 Govenors Mackinac Bridge run 4.33 miles 44:16 with a 10:13 pace, with daughter Amanda...we rocked it!

oct-dec 2012....no running ...weight Jan 1 2013 275# started running again!!

March 16 2013 Dork brothers Run with the leprechauans 5k Alpena 33:02 pace 10:18 weight 255#

May 1 2013 Current Weight #245......Boo!!! got get going on it!!!

May 18 2013 Rogers City Autisim 5k....36:30 with Melissa and Amanda

May 25 2013 Mackinac bridge 5.25 mile 50:39 with a 9:39 pace NEW PR !!!!! Weight still 245#

• mimi224 Rookie 1 posts since
    May 12, 2010
    10,795. Apr 17, 2013 9:51 AM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

New here and haven't started running yet. Looking to get advice on how to start. I'm 307 lbs and at my heaviest and am able to walk about half a mile. Should I dive right into the C25k or start with a walking program

Thanks for any adivce!

Camille

• Bren324 Rookie 1 posts since
    Mar 20, 2013
    10,796. Apr 17, 2013 10:41 AM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

Hello everyone!  I am new here also and want to begin running.  I have walked several 5ks but now want to run one.  In 2009 I weighed 436 lbs and had gastric bypass...now down about 100lbs.  I have gained back a little of what I originally lost.  I don't like this backslide and never want to go back to where I started.  My sister-in-law runs and has kept off her weightloss for several years and inspires me to get going. 

Any suggestions for me on how to get started?  I know that many use the C25K but there are other running methods, such as the Galloway method.  Which would be the best to follow?  Any and all suggestions and/or advice would be appreciated.

Brenda

• thebearinboulder Rookie 2 posts since
    May 28, 2009
    10,797. Apr 17, 2013 11:39 AM (in response to mimi224)
    200+ Pound Club!

Walk, walk, and walk some more. I don't follow C25K since I've been a runner in the past but my approach (in the 250s) is to walk until I'm comfortable going for 45 minutes at a reasonable pace. My husky defines "reasonable". :-) Only then will I start adding running and even then I'm cautious since I've been burned by injuries far too often.

I recall what duration C25K says but it's undoubtably the same thing. Get comfortable walking before you even think of adding running.

A note of clarification - the issue when you're older or heavier (or both!) are your joints and tendons. It takes time for them to adopt to the load. A lot of time. It can be frustrating but I've been burned every time I've tried to rush it.

Bear

• Lara Wrobo Rookie 1 posts since
    May 22, 2012
    10,798. Apr 17, 2013 5:38 PM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

New to this thread and so very excited to find it! Started walking/jogging (more walking than jogging) 5 and 10k's last May and have done about 30 in the last year. I have found myself very stagnate lately. I know it's because I don't train enough in-between races. I started out last year losing 65 pounds in 6 months, but have hit a wall there too. I am hoping that this thread will help motivate me to get back into the groove. Even though I have done a lot of races already, I am thinking about starting the C25K program from the start to see if that helps. Thanks for all the inspirational stories I have read so far and I look forward to hearing even more in the future.

• c25kClint Rookie 6 posts since
    Apr 8, 2013
    10,799. Apr 18, 2013 10:57 PM (in response to Lara Wrobo)
    200+ Pound Club!

I hope it goes well for you Lara

Started C25K February 2013

Graduated C25K June 16 2013

Share my journey

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...