Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

917 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Apr 24, 2013 7:06 AM by AndyDavis20
Kessa78 Rookie 2 posts since
Apr 7, 2013
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 7, 2013 11:51 PM

Sore lower back

Hi everyone, I have been having pain in my lower back and have been trying to think of what may have caused it. A couple of years ago i was getting really bad shin splints from running so went to a podiatrist and had orthotics fitted. The podiatrist said that my feet over pronate so this has probably caused the shin splints. My orthotics have been giving me blisters on the sole of my feet from running so I decided to take them out a couple of months ago. i thought maybe my shin splints were caused by being new to running. My feet then stopped blistering and everything has been fine except this constant lower back pain. I am thinking that taking the orthotics out may have been a bad idea. What are your thoughts?

• TomGendreau Rookie 1 posts since
    Jan 15, 2013
    1. Apr 8, 2013 4:56 AM (in response to Kessa78)
    Sore lower back

I have the same Problems and was diagnosed with SI Joint Inflamation.  I am going to go get steroid injectins, which should fix the problem.  check out Google and Youtube on this and see if it matches your symptoms

• ultimatehlth Pro 118 posts since
    Jul 13, 2009
    2. Apr 10, 2013 8:53 PM (in response to Kessa78)
    Sore lower back

Whenever you make a drastic change suddenly it can set off a whole cascade of issues. Likely your foot strike has changed enough to throw off your gait. Use this time to check your biomachanics to make sure you are running correctly. Warm-up fully before you run, use a foam roller and only gradually add distance to your runs. Follow your run with a comprehensive stretch routine followed by icing the area. On alternate days begins a core strengthening program.

Personal Trainer Los Angeles - Hollywood

• HeatherGr Amateur 10 posts since
    Apr 6, 2013
    3. Apr 17, 2013 10:02 PM (in response to Kessa78)
    Sore lower back

I feel like there is not enough info to understand the pathophysiology of what is going on, plus no one can accurately diagnose a problem without an exam.  My advice would be to see a doctor, and maybe a referral to a PT.  Sorry I know this isn't the answer you want, but there's a long list of possibilities that only a diagnostician could rule out in person.  I hope you find out, get to feeling better, and back to running pain free!

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,482 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    4. Apr 18, 2013 10:18 AM (in response to HeatherGr)
    Sore lower back

See a doctor or PT, the more you run the more you need to work on your lower back.  Distance running is hard on your back!.

• AndyDavis20 Amateur 10 posts since
    Jan 31, 2013
    5. Apr 24, 2013 7:06 AM (in response to Kessa78)
    Sore lower back

Increase your core strength/enndurance.  You might be surprised at what all that can affect.  Situps, planks, etc there's tons of stuff you can do.  If you find your lower back preventing you from doing this type of activity as well you may need to focus on strengthening it.

For lower back, specifically, I've had great success adding dead lifts to my weight training routine.  Usually 3 sets of 20 at a weight that is difficult to complete the third set but doesn't have me screaming.  Be sure your form is correct - your back should be slightly arched I believe.  You can probably find good examples on Youtube.  Deadlifts also work your hamstrings so you'll need a quad exercise to offset that, I recommend lunges.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points