Skip navigation

21793 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Apr 18, 2013 5:12 AM by SMR1015 RSS
hiker Rookie 1 posts since
Sep 9, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 9, 2007 5:18 AM

Question about working out.

Hi.

I'm a healthy, active person that has an important question regarding my work outs.  First, recently I took the IL fitness test and ranked in the 96th percentile for all the categories, except one.  However, my problem is that at certain points in my work out I get sick.  An example is hiking. I'm known as a fast hiker and have been doing it for years, but recently as I approach my maximum heart rate I literally feel sick to my stomach and it happens when I play tennis, ride my bike, swim, etc.  My doctor cannot figure out what is going on.  Does anybody have an idea or have this happen to them?

• elena dumitrov Rookie 1 posts since
    Jan 26, 2009
    1. Dec 1, 2011 1:50 PM (in response to hiker)

hi, I can not help, but my son, he is 17, very fit, been playing tennis for the past 10 years, and in the last 6 months he is feeling sick when playing tennis or doing any fitness trainning, he can not focus, when he was playing tennis intense he had constant headache for days. he had a break for few weeks, now he goes to trainning only twice a week, after half an hour of play he feels sick and dizzy. was wondering if you find the cause for your problem or anybody outhere has any ideas????  we have seen a cardiologist, a neurologist, in their opinion all is good.

• mariaweller Rookie 5 posts since
    Feb 21, 2009
    2. Jul 8, 2012 6:08 PM (in response to hiker)

Everybody's body physiology is different so I'm not sure this will apply to you but I began having same problem with nausea and vomiting at later stages in my long runs a few years ago.  I have traced the problem to sugar.  My body just can't process those simple sugars while I exercise.  I switched to water and electrolyte pills instead of gatorade and now eat agave or Hammer gels that have zylitol in them (like Trident gum). Lack of nutrition or electrolytes or fluids could do the same thing so be sure you are taking in some source of nutrition and electrolytes and drinking to thirst  if you are hiking fast for a longer period of time or in hot weather.

Magnesium deficit leaves some people feeling a bit weak too so look at which foods are high in magnesium or use a supplement if you have to.

• SMR1015 Rookie 1 posts since
    Aug 8, 2011
    3. Apr 18, 2013 5:12 AM (in response to hiker)

I almost guarentee it's related to blood sugar.  I do weight training early in the morning, usually starting 30 minutes after waking up.  It sounds strange, but if I don't have some kind of simple carbs in my system, get incredibly naseaus and light headed about half way through.  So if I'm eating something whole grain - oatmeal, a good cereal, etc. - I throw some fruit in it. I've even found that just one or two pieces of dried fruit can make a huge difference.  When I do the same work out during the day, this doesn't seem to happen, but it's because I'm not "fasting" (sleeping) for 8 hours before I do it.  When you're going hard, and for a significant duration, remember to get some fuel every couple hours.  Water, electrolytes (if needed), and some carbs to keep your body fed.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points