Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

254 Views 1 Reply Latest reply: Apr 22, 2013 1:41 PM by JamesJohnsonLMT RSS
craftytriathlete Rookie 3 posts since
Apr 18, 2013
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 18, 2013 5:15 PM

Foot Sprain?  Need advice.

I've been training for a while and ramping up the miles running.  Hit 10mi 13.1mi and recent 14mi train run milestones.  I've been doing well and feeling pretty good.  The other day I went on a mtn bike, and as I sometimes do wrapped my feet in tape.  I used a crisscross pattern, under the arch, around the back of the heel, under, over the arch and repeat.  I rode with this wrap and then did a short run.  I belive it was having my right foot wrapped a little too tightly that led to my injury.  After the run I felt some pain and the next day noticed some minor swelling in the middle of the foot, laterally.  Nothing impresseive but a little puffy.  Pain on walking, but nothing extreme.

Overuse injury occured to me, but the other foot is fine.  I think the tight wrapping put the metatarsels in a bad position and set me up for this injury.  I have high arches and was wrapping to decrease strain (usually works) but again, I think the wrap was too tight.

I'd like to return to running as fast as possible but also want to take care of this properly.  I need some advice.

• JamesJohnsonLMT Legend 1,127 posts since
    Aug 23, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    1. Apr 22, 2013 1:41 PM (in response to craftytriathlete)
    Re: Foot Sprain? Need advice.

I think the wrapping could be an issue if it crowds the metatarsals. I've known some athletes who do this, but there needs to be some expansion allowed for, or the normal action of the foot will be impeded. This could be the case, even if the wrap did not directly cause the problem. Any change in biomechanics can have an undesired effect, so tape with caution.

There may be some other methods to lessen the problem with high (I am assuming rigid) arches, but if your shoes are well-cushioned enough, I'm wondering if there is not another issue in your biomechanics or anatomy to look at. Perhaps some hypertonicity in your Tibialis Posterior to consider, but that would likely be felt near the lower Achilles. If more careful taping does not help, I'd take a bit of a break before continuing to train. In case the pain or swelling continues, it might be time to seek a professional solution.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...