Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

4069 Views 10 Replies Latest reply: Apr 19, 2013 11:40 AM by Kelly1066 RSS
Kelly1066 Pro 114 posts since
Jul 12, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 4, 2013 12:19 PM

life after C25k... what's next?!?!

Hey everyone!

I'm a C25k graduate (started last July, ran my first 5k in September) who is now struggling to adjust to this new identity as a "runner" (really a jogger, but does that sound cool?  no, that sounds like sweatpants and the eighties and I am working so hard, can I please say runner?).

Wondering what other people have started to do after the C25k.  I'm signed up for a 10k in June.  Right now I'm running 10 miles a week, at a snails pace, and struggling with the fact that I'm making no progress towards running faster because I'm focusing on mileage rather than running faster.  I just wrote a blog post about this here:  http://kellysnormal.blogspot.com/2013/04/the-only-way-to-run-faster-is-to-run.html

Any other C25k graduates struggling with where to go next?

I'm trying to decide where running fits in my life and what type of runner I am....

on the one hand, I just like how I feel after I run, the boost it gives my mood, how giddy I feel adding the miles to my calendar, and how guilt-free I attack a martini or some mac and cheese that night, because I honestly feel I've earned it and it's part of a balanced lifestyle since I've exercised and eat healthy most of the time.

on the other hand, I'm married to a marathon runner who is training for Boston and runs 7:10 pace for over 20 miles.  I run 10:20 pace for a maximum of 5.  I am not getting better, and I feel like a failure and want to cry sometimes.

Do I work on getting faster?  Do I accept that even if I'm slow, jogging ten miles a week has such great mental and physical health benefits that everyone should do it and I should be glad and proud that I do?

When did you start running?  How many miles a week do you run?  Do you try to run faster?  When do you decide that you're running as fast as you enjoy running and just keep running the same miles and speed because it's good for you?

-kelly

I write a running blog geared towards other new runners at http://www.iamrunningthis.com!

Couch to 5K graduate, September 2012

First 10K, June 2nd, 2013

First Half Marathon, September 2013

Twitter: @iamrunningthis

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,373 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    1. Apr 4, 2013 7:21 PM (in response to Kelly1066)

So what's wrong with 10:20 miles?  And who is counting?  10 miles per week is great for general fitness and well-being.  Is it enough for you?  That's your question and only you can answer it.  If you decide you want to run faster, there are things you can do, for example, doing pickups during one of your runs, or "strides" at the end of a run.  But probably the best thing to do is increase your weekly miles (base miles).  You should find your pace improving just from the added miles.  It also makes it easier to add "speedwork", such as intervals or tempo runs.  The question you have to answer first though, is "What are your goals?"

Len

Len

• lauralou919 Amateur 12 posts since
    Apr 9, 2010
    2. Apr 5, 2013 9:09 AM (in response to Kelly1066)

Kelly,

I hear ya!  I didn't know what to do once I had completed it either.  Should I focus on speed (and 10:20 is a goal, not where I am - so don't consider yourself slow!) or should I go for miles? There was no clear final goal, or at least I had to figure it out for myself. 

Today I guess I would say I'm focusing on miles, but speed does seem to come with more miles, so I'm getting a bonus there.  I started with a 10k last summer (which I loved by the way) and have been slowly increasing my miles form there. My husband, who was a runner (not a Boston runner, mind you), has joined me and we are both working toward a half marathon in the fall.  It has worked out well - he had an injury and had slowed down, but wanted to get back to it; I needed a partner to keep me going forward.  He dreams of bigger challenges after that, but I'm thinking I'm okay with that one and then working on maintaining for a while, and maybe speed.  We also have kids, and the 10k training was easier to fit into my schedule than our current plan, and I didn't feel like too much of light weight!  

So, long story short I agree with Len, I guess.  You have to figure out your goals for  yourself, but they will come.  Mine took me a bit, but I now have a clear idea what I want to do (and not do), what works in my schedule, and where I plan to go from here. Don't be so hard on yourself you are doing great!

Keep it up!

Laura

• MarkAmos0 Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 1, 2013
    4. Apr 10, 2013 1:56 PM (in response to Kelly1066)
    Re: life after C25k... what's next?!?!

Kelly:

I think if you just go at your own pace and not try and compare your progress with that of your husband, you'll feel better about your own personal goals.

I did a C25K program back in 2010 (with my wife) in order to get in better shape and fitness and to run in a 5K for a local brewery (The Dogfish Dash).  I had NEVER run in my life (I was 46 at the time), let alone deicate myself to a scheduled workout schedule.  We both started training at the same time and my entire goal was to complete the 5K in under 30 minutes.  I completed that goal (somewhere in the 29 minute mark).

Since then, I've gradually increased my mileage and pace.  I'm up to about 16-17 miles per week.  My pace is around 8:30/mile, even when I run my long 8+ mile run on the weekends.  My wife, gets discouraged since she struggles to run a 13-14 minute mile.  But she still signs up for races because she feels great just in participating.

And oh yeah, this year it's a 10K for the Dogfish Dash.  Believe me - If I can go from a couch potatoe to a guy that can run over 8 miles, anyone can improve with enough dedication which it sounds like you have.

The key is to run for YOURSELF.  At races, I look at guys my age and many of them are quicker than me but many are slower than me. But I'm proud of my own personal results because I know where I came from just a short time ago.  The main thing is you're out there, doing your best.

My favorite motivational line is - It dosen't matter, how fast, how long or how far you run - you'll always be beating the person sitting on the couch!

Keep your head up - YOU ARE A RUNNER!  Good luck!

• DawnBorchardt Rookie 1 posts since
    Jan 22, 2013
    6. Apr 11, 2013 10:52 AM (in response to Kelly1066)

I haven't even completed the c25k program yet! I'm in week 5. I just did my first 5k last weekend with a finish time of 43:00 so to hear where you are inspires me! Do you know that there is a 10k app as well? I plan on using that after I complete c25k to move to a Halloween 10k run. Try not to compare yourself to your husband. You are you. Some are sprinters. Some are distance runners. Everyone has their own pace. You don't want an injury. That will really derail you! Hang in there!

• DBScott Rookie 2 posts since
    Jan 2, 2008
    7. Apr 17, 2013 10:11 AM (in response to Kelly1066)

Hey Kelly1066! 

I see your post is several months old so this may not even help you at this point but check out Bridge to 10K.  It's an app that picks up where C25K stops and takes you to a 10K.  Keep it up.  Don't worry if you "only" do 10 miles a week.  The only person you need to beat or satisfy is yourself.  And you're still passing up everyone that's sitting on the couch!   

• Dewthedo17 Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 17, 2013
    8. Apr 17, 2013 2:06 PM (in response to Kelly1066)

It's good to know that there are other people out there like me. Despite the fact that I am slow like sloth, I too enjoy classifying myself as a "runner". I tried c25k and got to like 18 mins of jogging before I was just so tired that I took a break meant to be one or 2 days but ended up being 2 months. When I run, I focus on my time. I run about 2 miles in a little less than 30 minutes. Your pace is something I am sooo jealous of! Do what makes you feel good. If 10 miles a week is your thing, then go for it! Don't measure yourself against your marathon husband, I certianly wouldn't. My boyfriend doesn't even run! He just shows up for races and still has to jog backwards sometimes for me to catch up. So I understand your frustrations, but do your own thing! Do what makes you happy, what makes you feel accomplished, don't worry about anyone else. =) Just keep running!

• PeterME Amateur 12 posts since
    Mar 4, 2013
    9. Apr 18, 2013 2:47 PM (in response to Kelly1066)

"When did you start running?  How many miles a week do you run?  Do you try to run faster?  When do you decide that you're running as fast as you enjoy running and just keep running the same miles and speed because it's good for you?"

March 2013 I started doing C25K.  When I'm being good and staying on the program, probably about 7 miles a week - I've just begun Week 5.  At this stage, I try to run long enough to meet the program   And that tends to mean I throttle back from what I want to run, becuase the stride/speed that feels best isn't one I can maintain for long

I will be trying to run faster, once I'm up to running longer.  First step, be able to run for halof an hour non-stop. Then start trying to cover more ground in that half-hour

I'm still not convinced that I enjoy running (could just be a masochistic phase...) otoh, I'm a competitive guy, which means when I get to a point where I am entering races, I'll be looking to beat my last time every time out, and pushing to beat other people on the course, too. At some point I'll hit a point of diminbshing returns where I don't see a point in pushing harder, running longer or trying to run faster - but I think there's plenty of room ahead of me for improvement and I don't need to worry about hitting that point before my 70's

As for your own goals and reasons - well, those are for you - but I have to admit I'm impressed that you're out there pushing the double stroller - to me that shows dedication on many fronts.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...