Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

612 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Apr 25, 2013 5:46 AM by lifl2003
ffthomas2002 Rookie 1 posts since
Apr 21, 2013
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 21, 2013 5:48 PM

Running advice desperately needed.

So heres the thing. Ive recently started back to running.

My goals are to do the following

increase endurance

increase stamina

increase my time and distance

be able to run 5 miles

all by the summer

I run on the track for three completed laps with out stopping. after that i sprint for 1/4 mile jog for a 1/2. The adivse i am looking for is how can I can improve to reach my goals. And also am i on the right track?

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,482 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    1. Apr 22, 2013 5:32 AM (in response to ffthomas2002)

Slow down, run all your miles easy for the 1st year.  Start by say running 10 miles in week one, 3-4 days of 2-3 miles.  Then the next week try to make it 12-13 miles for the week, increase somewhere between 5-10% every week after 3 weeks go back down to where you started 10 miles then the next week go back up to where you left off.  For the 1st year it should be just about building your base slowly!   To much or to fast and you will end up with a injury!  Long term goals are the best! 

• NzAndy Pro 77 posts since
    Oct 23, 2010
    2. Apr 22, 2013 3:30 PM (in response to ffthomas2002)

Big things to consider when building from scratch (or close to it based on your goal to do 5 miles). 

First, do a lot of stretching and flexibility work.  Tight hamstrings and calves will lead to injuries like planar facitis (probably spelled that wrong, sorry) or achilles issues. 

Second, sprints and slow trots are different training.  Sprints are great for strength and aerobic threshold workouts but should be restricted to workouts that are intended to focus on those points.  In my mind endrance and stamina are much the same thing but you might be thinking of how long your can run at a specific speed.  This is the aerobic threshold, and it sets how fast you can go before you turn anarobic by burning energy faster than you can recover by removing the lactic acid which is the burning and sore muscles you feel later.  Pushing your threshold with some good sprints or hill repeats will give you strong gains but do them in moderation because big gains mean big recovery times to allow the gain time to take place.  Just don't plan on 6 minute miles for long courses, only professionals and people who train constantly for years get those times.

Long slower runs will build your overall time and distance that you can run more than sprints.  Don't try to go longer on each run, volume is easily achieved over a longer time frame like a week.  For my half marathon build ups I tend to run 2.5 to 4 miles per run 3 times a week.  Every other week I add a longer run.  Weeks without a long run get a hill reps session if the race course involves a lot of hills.  This matches what BOSNPM said and I completely agree with that advice.

My advice to build up to 5 miles quickly would be to do run/walk intervals over a 2 or 3 mile course building as you feel comfortable.  Run at your desired race pace like 10 minute miles for 30 seconds or so and then walk for the next.  Vary the times some and work on shrinking the walk intervals.  You'll find that your endurance will build up quickly.  Just be sure not to push too hard too fast, it will stop you faster than you can believe. 

I know your desire to quickly build up for a big event all too well.  Have a little patience and the gains will come.

Andy

• lifl2003 Pro 129 posts since
    Sep 30, 2008
    3. Apr 25, 2013 5:46 AM (in response to ffthomas2002)

Slow and Steady wins the race.  Do not do "too much too soon" or you will get hurt.

As BOSNPM said slowly build up your mileage over the first year.

The one thing I suggest is look online for a local 5K in the sumemr or fall and train for that.

Work your mileage up to the 5K mark and run that race.  There is no explaining how great you feel after finishing that

first race. Dont worry about the time. Just train and finish.

Mike

"I can't means I won't"

My Blog - http://http://runningonli.blogspot.com/

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...