Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1022 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Apr 22, 2013 12:20 PM by BOSNPM RSS
edensacres Pro 197 posts since
Jun 19, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 22, 2013 12:04 PM

How fast do you lose it?

I am wondering how fast do we loose endurance that we've worked so hard to build up?  I have my first half on May 5th (Flying Pig).  Several weeks ago my knee starting bothering me a bit.  I cut out the hill training runs, did some cycling instead, and mananged to complete an adapted version of my original training plan.  I have done 3 runs of 10 miles in the last month and a half, and should be doing a taper with my runs ranging from 3 miles - 8 miles between now and the 5th (running only 3 times a week).  My knee has not gotten any better, and if I were totally honest I'd say its gotten worse.  It does NOT hurt to run, it hurts most first thing in the morning.  But is its swollen and my mobility is not 100%. 

So, to get back to the question.. How much would I loose if I take the next week and half off completely, or if I add some work on the stationary bike?  I have dropped any time goal I may have had in the back of my mind.  I only want to finish. 

Thanks for you insight!

Stephanie

Started C25K 3/29/11 for the third time - Graduated 7/1/11 - some of us take longer

Completed Races

Webster Co. Woodchopping Festival 5K (5/28/11) 38:03 "Holy crap! Did he just say 38 something? I was hopinig for 45 minutes"

Never underestimate yourself!

That Dam Race 5K 7/23/11 44:46 - a challenging route & a hot day- but I will do better next year!

"Run for the Ta-Ta's 5K 10/29/11 39:54 in the snow!

Woodchoppers 5K 5/26/12 36:08 My 5 year old was 5 minutes behind me. Way to go Liat!

Fly By 10k 6/16/12 1:24:12

And the dream race...

"Flying Pig Half Marathon" Cincinnati, OH (May 2013)

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,373 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    1. Apr 22, 2013 10:49 AM (in response to edensacres)
    How fast do you loose it?

You really need to find out what is going on with your knee. The fact that it doesn't hurt to run is nice but something is wrong and it is affecting your running.

As for fitness, You should be OK. Cycling (or eliptical) would be good cross-training to help maintain aerobic fitness plus it tends to work quads and calves. Do one short run a couple days before the race to get your legs loose and remember your stride.  I once got to mile 16 of my last pre-marathon long run when my shin attacked me (still don't know why).  I took the next three weeks off except for two 3-milers a couple days before the race.  I completed the marathon OK, though a bit slower than planned.

Len

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,482 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    3. Apr 22, 2013 12:20 PM (in response to lenzlaw)
    Re: How fast do you lose it?

You start losing fitness 7-10 days!  Good luck the PT visit should help!

On a positive note A little under trained is better than over trained!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points