Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

478 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Apr 22, 2013 3:43 PM by NzAndy RSS
kzum0411 Amateur 20 posts since
Feb 7, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 15, 2013 12:13 PM

question about running in the wind

I was wondering if anyone can help me with this question. I live in a rural town in Illinois. It's pretty flat and there aren't many trees just farm fields as far as the eye can see. I love living in the country, especially in the summer when the corn is up then I have a wonderful privacy fence around my property..anyway, I've been training for my first half marathon (April 27) and I've done all my long runs outside...yes, even in the cold and wind and I hated every second of it. My long run this past Saturday (my longest run ever..10 miles) I ran against the wind or with a crosswind 8.5 miles of the 10. Only 1.5 miles was the wind at my back and was pushing me. The winds that day were out of the west/south west at 10-15 mph with 22 mph gusts. My question is: does running against the wind help with training? Is there any formula for added mileage for running against the wind? I felt like I was running on an incline the whole time! I tell myself that wind is making up for not having any hills to run on. Any thoughts on this? I tried to google "running against the wind" but all it came up with is the Bob Seger song "Against the Wind"

Thanks!

Oh and 1 more thing: should I do another long run this weekend (a week before my half) or taper down? I wanted to get up to 12 miles before I run my half but that's not going to happen. Is 10 miles enough to get me thru a half or should I try for 11 miles this weekend then taper down the week of the half? I just want to finish this race

Illinois Marathon 10k - 04.30.2010 -01:07:42

Kirby Derby 10k- 05.14.2010 -01:00:32

Kirby Derby 5k - 05.12.2012 -34:07 (25 weeks pregnant with baby #2)

Schumacher Shuffle 5k- 11.10.2012 -32:37 (13 weeks post partum)

Illinois Marathon 5k- 04.27.2013 -29:56

Ilinois Marathon Half- 04.28.2013 -2:22:23

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,389 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    1. Apr 15, 2013 12:39 PM (in response to kzum0411)

There is no doubt that a headwind affects your training and makes you work harder, something like running uphill.  I have never seen a chart, but if you google - running "wind speed" (in quotes) - you'll find a couple articles that address the question. I didn't spend a lot of time looking therough them though.

Do you need another long run? Unless you're really comfortable with the distance and recover well week-to-week, it's probably not worth it. A long run of 10 is enough to finish comfortably. Just remember to take it easy the first few miles in particular.  Going out too fast will cost you in the last couple miles.

Len

• crl8686 Legend 1,302 posts since
    Nov 11, 2007
    2. Apr 15, 2013 9:49 PM (in response to kzum0411)

Daniels' Running Calculator includes, among other things, the effect of a headwind or tailwind on equivalent pace. Your mileage may vary (no pun intended) but it's worth a look.

http://www.runworks.com/calculator.html

2014 highlights...

@ 5K: Ontario Mills Run, Ontario, CA, 25:19

Angels Baseball Foundation 5K, Anaheim, CA, 24:15

Friends of the Villa Park Library 5K, Villa Park, CA, 24:10

@ 10K: LA Chinatown Firecracker Run, Los Angeles, CA, 51:44

Great Race of Agoura - Old Agoura 10K, Agoura Hills, CA, 50:31

Fiesta Days Run, La Canada, CA, 50:29

• NzAndy Pro 77 posts since
    Oct 23, 2010
    3. Apr 22, 2013 3:43 PM (in response to kzum0411)

I'd vote taper because as said previously unless you're accustomed to running 10 miles every weekend you're only going to break yourself down instead of allowing more time for total recovery before the big day.  This is the reason most training plans recommend a weekend off every 3rd week.  After 2 weeks of training you need the time to rebuild and it can be more than a week to get the full effect.

I'm guessing you haven't done any other long course races before based on this being your first half.  After my first 62 mile bike ride I found I was stronger 3 weeks after the race with nothing happening in the mean time.  That was an eye opener for me.  I'd say stay under 5k the weekend before and save it for the big run.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Andy

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points