Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

441 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Apr 25, 2013 4:59 AM by lifl2003
lifl2003 Pro 129 posts since
Sep 30, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 25, 2013 3:59 AM

Marathon question

Hello all,

I need advice for you veteran marathon runners out there.

I ran my first marathon in October (Marine Corps in DC) in 4:02. 

My running plans for this year were a full marathon in the spring (Long Island on 05/05/13) and a full in the fall.

Training here on Long Island this winter was tough with the cold and the snow making it difficult to get the 15+ mile runs in.

Since MCM I have been running 120-130 miles per month.  4 5 during the week and a 10+ every Saturday.

My longest run has been 14.4 miles (last weekend)

Due to the fact that I wasnt able to get any 15+ miles runs done I regsietred for the Long Half bit I have the option of switching to the full at check in.

My quuestion to all you vets out there is should I attempt the full even though I havent ran over 15 in my winter and (crappy weather) spring training or

just play it safe and run the half an d finish easily around 1:50?

Andy advice will be greatly appreciated.

Mike

"I can't means I won't"

My Blog - http://http://runningonli.blogspot.com/

• skypilot77 Legend 1,077 posts since
    Dec 16, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    1. Apr 25, 2013 4:50 AM (in response to lifl2003)
    Marathon question

Long Island Marathon on May 04? Two weeks away?

I suspect you could finish the marathon. I do not think it will be a pleasant experience.

The 15 mile run you did was within the typical taper time and probably will have no effect on your ability to run the marathon.

My suggestion is stay with the half, and have a the potential for a really good day.

Find yourself a fall marathon, and hard charge for that goal.

btw. The past two winters I have run the Hyannis Marathon on the last Sunday of February.

I fully planned to run it again this year. I was in an excellent place after last fall's MCM.

But in December as the bad weather set in early I made the decision not to even try to train for Hyannis 2013.

It was a great decision because the weather was so horrible. I had difficulty getting out even a few times a week for shorter runs.

You gotta know when to hold 'em, and when to fold 'em. I think the LI Marathon is a fold 'em situation for you.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...