Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

395 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Apr 25, 2013 5:08 AM by lifl2003
kzum0411 Amateur 20 posts since
Feb 7, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 24, 2013 11:19 AM

So nervous I think I'm going to puke

Ok all you seasoned racers out there, I need some encouaragement, words of wisdom, anything to ease my mind. I am running my first half marathon on Saturday and I am extremely nervous. I have raced in a few 5 & 10k's. Except for the increased mileage, a half shouldn't be much different but it is. I have trained for it but probably not as much as I could have. Sometimes I was just plain lazy and didn't run for whatever reason I could justify in my head. My goal was to be able to run 13 mi by April 1 so then I knew I could run 13.1 miles and spend the next few weeks tapering down a bit but that didn't happen . My longest run to date was 10 miles 2 weeks ago.

Now the run is 3 days away and I'm freaking out on the inside. I am worried that I'll show up late, start to fast, won't eat enough in the morning, get side stitches,etc., or worse...not finish.

Is it normal to be this nervous about a race? I think I'm mostly nervous because I don't think/feel I'm as prepared as I should be. I need some reassurance that I'm worrying about nothing. I know most of you will say all that matters is finishing and having fun but I'm still nervous. What do you do before a race to calm your nerves?

Thanks for any tips!!

Illinois Marathon 10k - 04.30.2010 -01:07:42

Kirby Derby 10k- 05.14.2010 -01:00:32

Kirby Derby 5k - 05.12.2012 -34:07 (25 weeks pregnant with baby #2)

Schumacher Shuffle 5k- 11.10.2012 -32:37 (13 weeks post partum)

Illinois Marathon 5k- 04.27.2013 -29:56

Ilinois Marathon Half- 04.28.2013 -2:22:23

• Julie Ann Hackett Legend 228 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    1. Apr 24, 2013 11:30 AM (in response to kzum0411)
    Re: So nervous I think I'm going to puke

I get the same pre-race nerves.  The more you race, the more they subside but they'll probably always be there.  A good 10 miler before a half should be fine.  I've found with my hectic schedule I can't always train as much as I would like (and like you said, sometimes I'm just plain lazy) but I know how much I trained was based on choices I made and come race day, there is nothing I can do except tell myself its just a training run since I didn't train as much as I should.  That usually helps me get past the nerves because I put my expectations out of my mind and race for fun.  Most of the time for me those end up being my best races because I'm not stressed. I also know that no matter how nervous I am leading up to the start, as soon as the gun goes off all the nervousness is gone.  The best advice I have is that the more you race the better you'll know how to control the nervousness.  Good luck with your race!

• lifl2003 Pro 129 posts since
    Sep 30, 2008
    2. Apr 25, 2013 5:08 AM (in response to kzum0411)
    So nervous I think I'm going to puke

No worries. Every runner get the pre race jitters especially before a race you have never run.

The most important things to me is hydration.  Not just the day of the race but the weeks leading up to it.  Dont go out of the box blazing.

Its very easy to jump out to a quick pace with all teh nerves that you are experiencing. The problem is it is a half marathon so you have 13.1

miles to run and its easy to brun out if you are out[acing your normal comfortable pace.

Once the race begins and the starting pack thins out settle in to your comfort zone and enjoy yourself!

Get a good nights sleep the night before and make sure you eat before the race.  I usually have a Lenders bagel with jelly before a half.

Its a nice amount of carbs and not too heavy

I will never forget my first half and the excitement of crossing that line and receiving your first finishers medal.

Relax, have fun and enjoy your half! Post you results.

Mike

"I can't means I won't"

My Blog - http://http://runningonli.blogspot.com/

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...