Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

5467 Views 22 Replies Latest reply: May 6, 2013 9:58 AM by AFPilot RSS 1 2 Previous Next
marissaruns2013 Rookie 2 posts since
Apr 24, 2013
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 24, 2013 8:39 AM

Started c25k last night. Tell me I can do this!

I am 35, very overweight and would like to change my situation. I am very motivated but after trying day 1 week 1 last night, and finished but barely. I am having trouble believing I can actually do this.

My short term goal is to run a 5k with my 13 year old daughters in June.

I am excited to find this board with support and encouragment, because I know that people around me don't believe I can do this.

Any suggestions, tips or just encouragment would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

• Nicknock78 Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 24, 2013
    1. Apr 24, 2013 9:33 AM (in response to marissaruns2013)

I'm kinda the same way. Im 34, drive a truck and am well over 300. I going walking for a week or two at first to get my body used to moving and exercise. Driving a truck isn't exactly an active job. I'm walking 3 mile a day at a local park which takes me around and hour. That my help you ease into it better. There's no way I can run right now.  Hope to run in some 5k's this summer and fall.  Good luck!!! 

• Michelle72683 Rookie 4 posts since
    Jul 25, 2011
    2. Apr 24, 2013 10:36 AM (in response to marissaruns2013)

You CAN do it! I am also 35 years old & have always been overweight. I don't own a smartphone, so I "suckered" a dear friend who is in the National Guard into making me run. We did, basically, the C25K, just took longer than the program says to take. I can now keep a steady pace & jog (very slowly, but I can do it!) for an entire 5K distance without stopping to walk. I feel great, and my dog loves it! :-) I'm signed up for a ColorBlaze 5K in June and a Uniter Warriors Race (mud run obstacle course) in August & absolutely cannot wait!!!

To both of you: hang in there & prove to yourself that you can do it!! I have faith in you.

• Chris72937 Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 22, 2013
    3. Apr 24, 2013 5:56 PM (in response to marissaruns2013)

Some workouts will be harder than others and some days it won't feel like you're making progress. But every time you lace up and get going, you win. When the bad or painful day happens, remember it's just one day. No matter how small teh progress is on any given day, keep going...

• SeeFluffyRun Legend 251 posts since
    Sep 2, 2009
    4. Apr 24, 2013 6:11 PM (in response to marissaruns2013)

You can do this!  C25K is a great program no matter what size.  The key, for any size, is to not start out fast and don't skip your off days.  Injuries are most likely to happen when you go faster than necessary and when you decide to run consecutive days.  Remember, this program is designed for the couch potato.  You have to ease your body into the new movements.  Listen to your body, if during your running interval you are gasping for air and can't even utter a one syllable word...you are going too fast.  Remember running is a technique and not a speed.

Enjoy it!  I realized while doing C25K that my body doesn't even hit a nice running rhythm until 8 minutes into a run...just how I am made.  But I never would have found that out if I not had tried the program.  It works. 

I bought these wonderful headbands that keep sweat off of me and are stylish. They say

Find your happy pace

What looks like walking, feels like running

I love running, I hate running, I love running, I hate running

Slow...the new fast.

They are fun to wear and other runners love them.

You can do it...if you are on facebook, look up the Heavyweight runner..she started out near 300 and not is training for a 1/2 iron man....so yes you can do it!

Graduated C25K 08/09/2009

Restarted 04/01/2013

Follow me on my journey: SEEFLUFFYRUN

Twitter: @SeeFluffyRun

Facebook: SeeFluffyRun

Blog: seefluffyrun.blogspot.com

• JustGlori Amateur 8 posts since
    Mar 16, 2013

I started this program at 210 lbs, never running a day in my life. Week 1, day 1, I couldn't even do the 60 second run. I had to do 30 secs, stop for a minute, and slowly work my way up. I just could.not.do.it! But I kept on and didn't give up.

I just completed Week 5 Day 3. The 20 minute run. I couldn't help but get emotional when I thought about how far I've come. Yes, I was tearing up at the track. You can do this. Trust me. You just have to keep at it. The #1 rule that's worked for me is to START SLOW. Don't take off at racing speed because you will burn yourself out. If you run slow through the whole thing (like me) that's perfectly fine. At least you did it! You can work on speed later.. right now, at least to me, endurance is key.

Keep at it and don't give up. You will amaze yourself at what your body can do.

Good luck!

Edit: I forgot to add, I'm 34 yrs old.

C25k Graduate - 5/25/13

• adamheimann Legend 523 posts since
    Apr 17, 2013

Keep it up! You totally have this! Like everyone else said- it's not about speed- just keep at it and it will get easier!

• Kelly1066 Pro 115 posts since
    Jul 12, 2012
    8. Apr 26, 2013 1:52 PM (in response to marissaruns2013)

I struggled with the first part of C25K - it's HARD to get in shape, and I think the hardest part is getting your aerobic capacity up so that you don't feel out of breath every time you run.  It gets SO MUCH BETTER.  I cannot believe that I can run three miles and carry on a conversation now... I never would have dreamed it was possible. 

I COMPLETELY agree with everything SeeFLuffyRun said... it's all about going slow so you don't get injured.  Work hard enough so it's work, never so hard it's torture.  I used to get frustrated that I wasn't faster than I am, now I am just in love with being able to jog without stopping, and I'm actually getting faster becasue I'm doing it more because I like it more.

I'm a normal weight, but I had two emergency c-sections after really tough labors only 16 months apart, and my youngest was only four months old when I started C25k.  I was in the worst shape I'd ever been in, and there were days when I wanted to give up, and there were some runs that I DID give up, but the important thing was that I forgave myself and just went ahead and did the next run.  And the one after that. 

Give yourself credit, and you really can do it, and good for you, you will love it!!!!  (and hate it, and love it... that's a hysterical headband, seefluffyrun!)

I write a running blog geared towards other new runners at http://www.iamrunningthis.com!

Couch to 5K graduate, September 2012

First 10K, June 2nd, 2013

First Half Marathon, September 2013

Twitter: @iamrunningthis

Sep 2, 2009
    9. Apr 29, 2013 11:02 AM (in response to marissaruns2013)

Marissa, how did your runs go?

Restarted 04/01/2013

Apr 17, 2013
    10. Apr 29, 2013 11:46 AM (in response to marissaruns2013)

Do any C25K folks train on a treadmill or no? Wonder if there are any disadvantages to a treadmill for training. Thanks!

Sep 2, 2009
    11. Apr 30, 2013 6:18 AM (in response to adamheimann)

I started out on a treadmill when I did it in 2009.  The advantage is that the weather did not affect my ability to train when the weather was bad.  I also had full control of my pace and was able to keep it consistent. I also would turn on Universal Sports and watch marathons and triathlons at the same time and they really motivated me.  The disadvantage was my tendency to grab and hold onto the treadmill...which is cheating. It is a different feel than run outside so 5Ks may be different.  And the scenery never changed.

Once I got the courage to run outside for all the world to see, I never looked back.  Being able to be out in nature and experience the world for the joy of it and also to take my mind off the actual running was great. I used an app so I was always aware of my pace and distance.  and when it was too hot or raining I had to use the dreadmill. HTH

Restarted 04/01/2013

Apr 17, 2013
    12. Apr 30, 2013 7:21 AM (in response to SeeFluffyRun)

Awesome! Thanks for the info fluffy. I've been a bit nervous about running in public but was worried I would screw myself over by starting out on a treadmil. I think I'll do a combination of both. Thanks again!

• TortoiseRN Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 17, 2013

You can do it....because I can, and I was in terrible shape. I'm 200+lbs. 36, and have always avoided running. It brought back too many painful memories of gym class and struggling while some of my classmates snickered I'm having weight loss surgery this summer (I'm diabetic and my insulin requirements have gone through the roof - it's a last ditch effort because we're running out of pharmaceutical options) so I wanted to be in the best shape possible before it happened. I live in a pretty active neighborhood - everyone is either jogging/running, walking, or biking. I started to notice that not everyone was an Olympian. It became my new goal. Last summer I did the first day of C25K and ended up with a stress fracture in my femur. Moral of the story: start slow AND get a full lab workup before you start any program! I recently found out I'm anemic and have a vitamin D deficiency. It's the perfect combo for broken bones lol

So I started back once my joints felt better. I'm on W2D2 and honestly? The first week was rough, but this week seems easier. I got fitted for shoes by some running pros and i think that will really help me. If I can do it, with my brittle bones and natural clumsiness - two broken arms within two weeks as a kid! - anyone can do it! I think the biggest obstable is mental. I'm not confident or coordinated enough to jog on the streets so I use a trail. It took a lot of courage for me to leave my car and start. I don't know why I thought everyone would be staring at me. Pfft. People are too busy exercising to notice you! I even got a few high fives of encouragement while I was lurching my way through the first day. Everyone waved a hello as we passed each other too. It was a pleasant surprise.

Get some tunes (my running playlist keeps me going), some good shoes, and do your thing. I'm fairly certain I can walk faster than I actually jog, but I don't care. It gets my heart pumping and I feel like I've accomplished something every time the program tells me my workout is complete It's an awesome feeling. I'm doing a 5K in September and I hope to be able to jog the whole thing. Good luck! I've found some wonderful advice on these boards.

"The miracle isn't that I finished. The miracle is that I had the courage to start." John Bingham

• Bigden Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 17, 2012

It looks like a lot of us are in the same boat---  I swear by this program--  I ran 3 5k's last year becuase of it-- sadly, we had another baby and I got back into old habits (and my old "big-boy" pants).

I restarted this week with a goal of a July 4th 5k - and a 10k by October---

You can do it!!

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...