Skip navigation

NEED HELP?|

4248 Views 7 Replies Latest reply: Apr 27, 2013 12:11 AM by nrusnak90
Pumpkinmomma Amateur 9 posts since
Jun 10, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 27, 2010 10:35 AM

What should I eat before strength and conditioning?

I run or swim regularly in the morning after eating my regular breakfast-- yogurt, fruit and walnuts with a cup of coffee.  No problems with the workouts which last 45 min to 1 hour.  HOwever, when I'm doing strength and conditioning with my trainer, several times I have become light headed, at which point we stop the training.  He suggested I bring an energy bar to eat 1/3 way thru the workout.  Does this sound like the best way, or should I be eating something different at breakfast?  What about the night before?  I usually eat more carbs in the middle of the day;  should I eat these in the morning?  And finally, why does it only happen with strength training, not when I'm running or swimming?  Thanks for input-- I hate cutting my workouts short!

Sandy

• Rehab United Pro 42 posts since
    Feb 16, 2009

How long after breakfast do you workout?  If it's more than an hour, I would recommend a quick-acting energy (carbohydrate source) 15-30 minutes prior.  No need to wait until 1/3 of the way through the workout.  100-150 Calories (25-30 grams carbohydrate) should suffice (sports drink, sport gel, fruit, pretzels, baked chips, or energy bar low in fat and protein).

I know many trainers recommend cutting carbs in the evening to assist with weight loss (since your body stores less muscle and liver glycogen, and therefore less water); however, starting the day in a glycogen-depleted (energy-depleted) state is sub-optimal for any type of workout - cardio or strength.  So yes, more complex carbohydrates later in the day and evening (whole grains, fruits, vegetables, and fat-free dairy) could help you start the day with a fuller "tank" and potentially decrease hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) episodes during workouts.

Another consideration is the mode of exercise - do you do a lot exercises lying down?  Sometimes lying down and sitting up frequently can cause dizziness or a light head.  I can not diagnose, but there is a possibility of orthostatic hypotension rather than hypoglycemia: http://www.medicinenet.com/orthostatic_hypotension/article.htm

Try an easily-digested snack before your next workout and pay attention to when the symptoms occur (i.e. just after sitting up from bench press).

Hope that helps,

Justin

Rehab United
    Physical Therapy
    RU Sports Performance Center

"Where Athletes Become Champions" (TM)

San Diego, CA

www.RehabUnited.com

• Rehab United Pro 42 posts since
    Feb 16, 2009

Glad to hear you got everything worked out.  Kudos to you for having the foresight to see your physician early. 

Let me know if you have any other nutrition-related questions and good luck!

Justin

Rehab United
    Physical Therapy
    RU Sports Performance Center

"Where Athletes Become Champions" (TM)

San Diego, CA

www.RehabUnited.com

• Hardgainer Pro 9 posts since
    Dec 5, 2008

What I do during my workout is bring a shake that I make that has Whey protein, branch-chain amino acids, creatine, glutamin, honey and orange juice.  This is easy to consume because it is just liquid, it is fast absorbing as well as hydrating.  This helps me get through my strength training routine without running out of energy, or making my body start eating it's muscles.  It works for me

Good luck,

Cory Cook co owner of Hardgainer Muscle Building

• quadzilla1 Expert 39 posts since
    May 30, 2010

Sandy,

I typically have two meals in the morning, one prior to my workout and one after the workout. I will eat a protein bar and yogurt before the workout and then eggs, fruit and toast with coffee after the workout. This will get me through to my 10am snack which consists of almonds, yogurt, orange and banana.

Brad

Sport Packs members get Sports Drinks, Protein Bars and Energy Bars at huge discounts!

• nrusnak90 Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 26, 2013
    Currently Being Moderated
    7. Apr 27, 2013 12:11 AM (in response to Pumpkinmomma)
    What should I eat before strength and conditioning?

I recommend eating good complex carbs, however I usually consume sugar post workout as I have heard that it stimulates insulin production, thus inceasing muscle gain.

http://www.info-junkie.com

http://www.info-junkie.com

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points