Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2155450 Views 11,397 Replies Latest reply: Aug 12, 2014 7:32 PM by lenzlaw Go to original post 1 ... 719 720 721 722 723 ... 760 Previous Next
  • Agermana Rookie 2 posts since
    Sep 29, 2012
    Currently Being Moderated
    10,800. Apr 21, 2013 9:00 AM (in response to c25kClint)
    200+ Pound Club!

Hello,  I started my journey last year.  I lost 30 pounds over the summer, but gained 10 of it back over the winter.  I have been running 5Ks (only 5 so far). This week I started the 10K for pink couch to 10K program.  I have 2 goals...(1) to run a 10K by the end of the summer and (2) to get under 200 pounds (30 pounds to go) by the end of the summer.  I feel that both goals are attainable, especially now that I found this community.

• Agermana Rookie 2 posts since
    Sep 29, 2012
    10,801. Apr 21, 2013 9:16 AM (in response to mimi224)
    200+ Pound Club!

Mimi I would suggest staying within your comfort zone. Just getting out and moving makes such s difference.  You will build more strength and stamina walking more miles more frequently than you will if you over due it, dread it and possible injure yourself.  You can do it!

• CindySteiner1 Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 7, 2013
    10,802. Apr 24, 2013 5:37 AM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

Gotta say I never ever thought I'd be writing on an "active" site.  I know we all have different stories, but all seem to want to reach, however possible, the same goal.  I'm 53, use a wheelchair and due to my illness am not able to have a 'daily' workout time.  I just rolledd the 2k iin Miles for Meals on Sun 4-21.  Wanted to do the 5k, but time was a factor and if I wanted to participate, it had to be the 2k. 

I started racing last April for the same cause & was pushed through it by my racing buddy.  Today, I only get pushed when absolutely necessary.  This is my second race this year, the 1st being the Chocolate Rush in Feb.  Hope to do 5 more before the year is out. 

Would really like to chat with others about all of it.  Since racing, I've lost 40 lbs and still need to lose a whole lot more.

• RCiszek Rookie 1 posts since
    Dec 17, 2012
    10,803. Apr 24, 2013 11:08 AM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

Hey all, this is a first time for me.  I started the C25K last year and then ended up with a spinal injury and went for surgery and have slowly started back up.  I'm now literally stuck on W3D3 and have not been able to run consistently for the week so I haven't moved on, been 3 weeks now.  I would love to move on and be a part of your group.  I'm at 245 now, started at 296 (a year just to make that) but with my injury in the middle highjacking it.

• Madpup Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 24, 2013
    10,804. Apr 24, 2013 1:17 PM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

These posts are all things I've said at one point or another. I just turned 39 and am 6'2 and 257lbs. I tell people I'm an athlete that likes to eat but I would rather look like someone that's in shape. My goal has always been to get under 200lbs and the closest I got was 203lbs in 2005. So close but I clearly fell off the wagon! I do love to run and after back surgery in Jan 12 I'm really getting back into it. I push my 2 girls in a running stroller around my neighborhood for 3 miles and finished in under 30 minutes this morning. The fastest I've run in a few years. There is a 15k in March that I've run over the years and I set a lofty goal this morning to break 80 minutes. A support group like this can clearly help me reach my goals and hopefully I can motivate some people along the way!

• JennBear82 Rookie 2 posts since
    Apr 10, 2012
    10,805. Apr 24, 2013 5:01 PM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

Hey All,

Since all these posts are so motivational and informative, I'd like to join in and share some of my story. March of 2012 is when my running journey began for me. I had met a few ladies at the gym that I go to who also had an interest in running. We were all at very different fitness levels, shapes and sizes. As for me, I was the heaviest of the group. I began running with them lugging a weight of 292 which made for a very dreadful and difficult next few months, I wanted to give up every single day because I felt I was holding them back, would never measure up or that it would never get any easier blah,blah, blah...BUT with their support and encouragement, and my drive and determination, I showed up everyday and pushed through all the nonsense that was going on inside my head. In July,we started a 16 week half marathon program and on October 27th 2012 ( and myself nearly 40lbs lighter) we completed our very first half marathon together! We did interval training and did so for the race. Although with that being the most brutal and difficult challenge I have faced to date, it was also the most incredible experience of my life. Nobody can take that away this away from me and I wouldn't trade one day of training or one ounce of sweat to give that feeling up. I worked hard for it and I got it! I still have a very long way to go in my overall weight loss journey, but I now for the first time in my life, I know it is attainable and I will get there!

So I am saying all this to say that YOU CAN DO IT no matter your weight or physical level you may be at. Just start SLOW and SMALL and bulid from there. Stay consistent even on the toughest of days and in no time you will be well on your way to running 5Ks, 10Ks Halfs etc. If you want it bad enough, you've got to fight for it

Jenn

• SeeFluffyRun Legend 251 posts since
    Sep 2, 2009
    10,806. Apr 24, 2013 6:16 PM (in response to JennBear82)
    200+ Pound Club!

Jenn what an awesome story! Thank you for sharing.  I am contemplating signing up for a 1/2 mary in December and have been hesitant. You may have helped me to say yes.  I am really enjoying running again. I have only lost 20lbs since the last time I ran consistently but it has made a difference.  My pace is 2 minutes faster and I feel like it takes the same effort as it did when I weighed more...does that make sense?  What I am trying to say is that I am able to run faster and I don't feel like I am pushing myself to go faster.

Graduated C25K 08/09/2009

Restarted 04/01/2013

Follow me on my journey: SEEFLUFFYRUN

Twitter: @SeeFluffyRun

Facebook: SeeFluffyRun

Blog: seefluffyrun.blogspot.com

• JennBear82 Rookie 2 posts since
    Apr 10, 2012
    10,807. Apr 28, 2013 5:21 PM (in response to SeeFluffyRun)
    200+ Pound Club!

YES! You should definitely sign up! Especially if its in December, that is plenty of enough time to condition yourself for it We plan to do another one at the end of the year as well and we'll probably start training somewhere around July for it. Congrats on the weight loss! That's awesome! Yeah I work out religiously these days, but nothing worked for me (as far as weight loss goes) like running does. AND eating right of course.Running has become addicting... even though I still struggle cause I am still carrying so much weight, I still love getting out there and pushing myself. However, one reason I am looking forward to training again, is to finish what I have started in my weight loss journey.

And that makes complete sense! I felt that way (and sometimes still do) that I wasn't improving cause I always felt like every run was my first run,when in reality I was getting faster, running longer and pushing myself without really realizing it while I am running. So I don't think running will ever "feel" easy until I am at my goal weight. Just remember that the 2 minutes faster is progress whether it feels like it takes the same effort.. You are improving and that number is evident   Keep up the good work!

Sep 2, 2009
    10,808. Apr 29, 2013 10:57 AM (in response to JennBear82)
    200+ Pound Club!

Jenna thanks for the encouragment. 

I have a question for the girls.

Do you wear compression shorts or pants and if so do you wear anything over them?  Where do you buy them? I wear a very nice running bra that keeps me pretty locked and loaded so there is absolutely no jiggling.  However, my bum is out of control. LOL

Any suggestions is appreciated.

Restarted 04/01/2013

• adamheimann Legend 523 posts since
    Apr 17, 2013
    10,809. Apr 29, 2013 11:31 AM (in response to SeeFluffyRun)
    200+ Pound Club!

SeeFluffyRun- I get all my running gear from Expert Brand. They have some quality stuff and I see they have some women's crop pants that look like they may be what you are looking for? http://bit.ly/16dH5GB

As far as C25K is concerned. I'm just starting out with it and I agree with everyone who says start slow and don't get discouraged. Just keep at it I'm around week 6 and it does get easier!!

• cruzangoal Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 30, 2013
    10,810. May 1, 2013 7:33 AM (in response to Wideguy)
    Re: 200+ Pound Club!

Hi my name is Hayden.  I am a father of twin 10 year old boys and had a long bout with depression which stole my active life, marriage and almost my life.  I was able to get help and found that my main issue was not being active as I was before the boys were born.  After dealing with the depression I realized that my sons will need me to show them how to be well balanced.  I was at 304 lbs in June of 2012.  My wife at the time and I were over weight.  She was not as bad and I never felt she looked bad.  But she started following a eating routine and working out in May of 2012 and it helped spark me.  In late June I came from work one day and saw that I had a bottle of Glenlevit out because of a stressful day at work.  I looked at my sons and told them get some shoes on.  I started walking around the neighborhood which is 2.94 miles.  It took me some time since I was so heavy but from there I kept aiming to finish the workout in 50 then 45 minutes.  I eventually got to a point were I could run more than I walked and it became routine.  At first I didn't drop too many pounds clothes started to fit better.  Then in November the changes started and the weight fell off with the consistency of the workout.  I was worried about hanging skin and I still am at this point.  As of the end of April I have lost 70 lbs.  I have not been been working out as hard due to work and getting my life together again.  But I am sure to do at least 3 miles 2-3 times a week.  Starting this Monday I am back on the full train.  Sleeping on time waking up early and starting the day with intervals, a good stretch and breakfast.  It is amazing.  Just need to worry about the over working or pushing myself too hard.  As I write this I am at 233.5 lbs and working to get to 200 lbs by my August of this year.  Any suggestions on running shoes as I have killed my running shoes.  Truly sad.  Motivation and support are the things which have kept me going.  I will be a sub 200 guy by end of the year. 

• adamheimann Legend 523 posts since
    Apr 17, 2013
    10,811. May 1, 2013 9:54 AM (in response to cruzangoal)
    200+ Pound Club!

Way to go buddy! That is pretty kick ***! It sounds like you are definitetly on the right track to success!!

As a pretty big guy- just starting out- I'm wondering what excercises I can also be doing to get myself in better shape for running. Situps is a pretty obvious one. Just wondering if there is something else I could be doing.

Thanks!

• hoofinit83 Rookie 2 posts since
    Apr 10, 2013
    10,812. May 1, 2013 3:24 PM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

Greetings! I am thrilled to have found you guys, as I am indeed a 200+ pound runner! I tried the C25K, but petered out... I tried to run off and on for about 2 years before biting the bullet and taking the jogging class at my college. It was taught be a superfit marathoner! But, I work for him, and he knows I have struggled, so I plodded through. I am delighted to report I did my first 5k 4/20/13! It was a trail run, and I finished in 1:01, after stopping to help a lady with a broken ankle... Anyway, I have been injury free thusfar and am hoping to break a 15 minute mile. I have already gotten a great deal of inspiration and wisdom, and look forward to getting much more! Many thanks Rebecca

Sep 2, 2009
    10,813. May 1, 2013 6:41 PM (in response to hoofinit83)
    200+ Pound Club!

Hi Rebecca!  I am so glad you found us!  And congrats on your 5K  WUUHUU! and if you stopped and helped someone and still was able to do 1:01 then you did it faster than my first one.  I didn't stop for anything and ran as fast as I could to catch up to this preschool age kid running with his dad (people were walking past me when I was running my hardest) but I didn't care..I loved it.  I am glad you love it too.  I would love to break 15 minute mile also.  Hope to see you around the thread...thank Wideguy for starting this thread so many years ago...he is pretty consistent about posting.

Restarted 04/01/2013

Sep 2, 2009
    10,814. May 1, 2013 6:43 PM (in response to adamheimann)
    200+ Pound Club!

strengthen your legs also. It's your leg muscles that propel you  oh and stretch...so important. I didn't believe it until I experienced plantar fasciitis.  My doc gave me some stretches to do and I haven't had it again.

Restarted 04/01/2013

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...