Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

480 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: May 1, 2013 10:49 AM by ultimatehlth RSS
bullseye759 Rookie 7 posts since
Dec 14, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 29, 2013 6:17 AM

When to Weight Train?

Hi

I'm not new to running by any means but have never been a huge weight trainer either. Some recent knee issues have pointed out weak surrounding muscles so here I go into more serious and consistent weight training. My question is when--on a non-run day or on a run day following a run? Both have been suggested. On my non-run days its usually a rest day completely or i do hill repeats, sprints or the elliptical or just walk. What do you think?

Thanks in advance

Dean

Coventry, RI

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,389 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    1. Apr 29, 2013 4:23 PM (in response to bullseye759)
    When to Weight Train?

I prefer to weight train several hours after a run, ideally the day before an off day.  By the way, IMHO, doing hill repeats or sprints makes it a running day.

Len

• ultimatehlth Pro 118 posts since
    Jul 13, 2009
    3. May 1, 2013 10:49 AM (in response to bullseye759)
    When to Weight Train?

If your run isn't extreme and your lifting is strictly for enhancing your strength for running then I would do it after the run, however, if your weight session is more about power and strength then I would do it the same day about 4 hours after running or you won't allow enough recovery time to get the benefit. Rest legs completely the next day (you can do upperbody lifts). Be sure to train your VMO and anterior tibialis ( often over looked).

Best,

Los Angeles Personal Trainer Hollywood

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...