Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

4584 Views 22 Replies Latest reply: May 6, 2013 9:58 AM by AFPilot RSS Go to original post 1 2 Previous Next
  • SeeFluffyRun Legend 251 posts since
    Sep 2, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    15. May 1, 2013 6:24 PM (in response to Bigden)
    Started c25k last night. Tell me I can do this!

Bigden you may be interested in a Marathon challenge that Julie from FattyMustRun is hosting.  She is looking for people with a BMI of 25 or more that would like to do a one year marathon training.  I think the first 10K is around the time you plan do one.   Here is the post where she discusses it on her blog.

She is in the UK and is accepting applications from around the world...http://fattymustrun.wordpress.com/2013/04/22/fatty-needs-you/

Also, if anyone else would like to apply, please feel free to do so but hurry because in is in its final days.  If you are doing C25K...well then you are ahead of her minimum requirement...so you can do this!

Graduated C25K 08/09/2009

Restarted 04/01/2013

Follow me on my journey: SEEFLUFFYRUN

Twitter: @SeeFluffyRun

Facebook: SeeFluffyRun

Blog: seefluffyrun.blogspot.com

• mgsmith1 Rookie 1 posts since
    May 1, 2013

I was overweight and out of shape at 54 years old. I was embarrassed to jog in public, huffing and puffing at first, but it did not take long to realize most people don't even notice--and of those who do notice, the runners will admire your determination, and the others will wish they had your willpower. I started walking then jogging / walking until i could do a mile at a slow jog. When i could jog over a mile i bought myself a GPS watch to monitor my progress as i increased my distance, and made it a priority to run 4 or 5 days every week--for myself, my health.  I set a goal of passing the running standard in the army physical fitness test for my age, which meant 2 miles in a little under 20 minutes.   Within a few months i could pass the apft, and could soon jog non-stop for 5K.  by six months i had lost over 15 pounds and could run 10K in an hour, and had my blood pressure down enough to cut the dosage of my bp medication.  At 9 months I ran my first half marathon, just under 2:05.  Slow by runners' standards, but very satisfying to me.  Now my wife, who did not believe I could run that half marathon, is  starting her own walking / running program.

You can do it, and if you work at it consistently, you can do that 5K in June.  Start slow and read up on warning signals to help avoid injuries that could slow your progress.  Get decent shoes--you don't need to spend a fortune, but you should get advice from a good running shoe store to make sure your shoes fit your running form. Make running a priority, and celebrate little milestones with running clothes, etc.  Let people know you plan to do that 5K run--that helped me stick with it when it was hard to start the evening run after a long day at work, because i had made a commitment to someone else as well as myself.     

Best of luck!

• adamheimann Legend 523 posts since
    Apr 17, 2013
    17. May 2, 2013 9:46 AM (in response to mgsmith1)

Good advice about getting fitted for running shoes. That's not something I would have thought about. If anyone is looking to celebrate with some new running clothes- I've gotten some great stuff online (http://expertbrand.com). Happy Running! I can't wait to get out there again as soon as this weather we are having cooperates!

• Waggsley Rookie 1 posts since
    Mar 13, 2013

YOU CAN DO IT! I started last year with the C2K app (at age 55) and, like you, I couldn't even run for 60 seconds. Don't quit! Keep at it.... Walk, run, walk, run... To the best of your abilities. I started in August 2012 and just ran my first 5k last weekend.  Ran the whole thing and came in 21st in my age group. My time wasn't great, but I finished and now I cant wait for the next one. I'm up to 5 miles now and would like to work towards a 10k or half marathon. REMEMBER - baby steps! Don't try to add too much all at once. Slow and steady. You'll soon feel your heart rate start to recover quicker. Keep at it!!!! You won't be sorry.

• c25kClint Rookie 6 posts since
    Apr 8, 2013

I started C25K in Feb at 326lbs/148kg. At first I could only run for 30 seconds, I spent many weeks repeating the first couple of week's exercises, this allowed my leg muscles to build up to take the longer exercises. This week (13 or so weeks into it) I finished week 5 with a 20 minute jog. I also gave up sugary foods & drinks, just having a single treat once a week. And as a heavy person I recommend Brooks running shoes as a robust & long-wearing shoe

Started C25K February 2013

Graduated C25K June 16 2013

Share my journey

• JC2017 Rookie 7 posts since
    Apr 2, 2008

Yes you can anyone can do anything they set their mind to do. It will take time and effort on your part but once you start seeing the pounds slip away it will be a piece of cake, after having my kids I was was out of breath just getting the baby buckled into the car seat. Now im running 5ks and enjoying it. I have more energy to deal with the everyday things now that I slimmed down. So always keep focused on all the awesome outcome that will come as a result of your weight loss stick with it and you WILL do it.

JC

• dxwalker Rookie 3 posts since
    Dec 24, 2012
    21. May 5, 2013 5:29 PM (in response to mgsmith1)

I'm 51 and just starting my journey to running and getting healthy. It's great to see so many inspiring stories here.

Thank you, everyone, for sharing!

http://grandmatohalfmarathon.wordpress.com://

• AFPilot Rookie 1 posts since
    May 6, 2013

As a lifelong runner, it all starts with the endurance (what everybody else is saying) and the great part of that is you will see dramatic changes endurance changes VERY VERY quickly. Honestly, in a matter of days. However, the speed workouts are, in my opinion, how you can run (no matter how slow) without experiencing pain/being uncomfortable. So YOU CAN DO A 5K

Include speed workouts, doesn't matter how long or how far, but you have got to force your body to work harder. Even if it is just 10 seconds, run hard/fast (not sprinting, nobody can sprint a 5K, they run them fast), then slow down or walk. This has multiple benefits:

1) Forcing your muscles and heart to get 'shocked' by a fast pace forces them to 'learn' how to work at different levels of activity (i.e. walking vs running vs sitting).

2) 'Shocking' your system drives metabolism into overdrive (your body is literally saying OH CRAP and speeds up its internal processes including metabolism). Greater metabolic rate will lead to weight loss, a lighter load is easier to carry then a heavy load (meaning running will become easier).

3) MOST IMPORTANT** Speed workouts will directly increase your endurance capabilities (that 5K you want to do). Think about it, if you can run at a slightly faster pace and it won't hurt, wouldn't you want to run a longer distance? I assure you that speed will make running more comfortable which, in turn, will lead to longer distances covered.

Below is my example over the past 6 months once I found out I was selected to be an Air Force Pilot. (In which I wanted to lose some weight and get my speed back). Again, I am a very disiplined runner, so my times are faster than what most peoples, so scale them

Took 2 months off to enjoy my summer then found out about my selection.

Week 1 = 5 miles at comfy pace (9:00 min/mile), I ran a mile, then walked half a mile, then back to running 1 walking 1/2. Did this 4x, one day on one off

Week 2 = Monday: 4 miles at comfy pace, Tuesday: 200 yards 'hard run' (7 min/mile pace) then jog back to start and repeat 8x (I try to avoid walking on speed days), Wednesay is off day, Thursday: Repeat speed workout from Tues, Friday: 4 miles at slightly faster pace than comfy (8:45 pace), Saturday: 'Long and Slow Day' 8-miles at whatever pace feels good but do not walk, Sunday off day

Week 3 = Monday: 6 miles at comfy pace, Tuesday Repeat Speed workout but increase pace to 6 min/mile and repeat 10x, Wednesday is off, Repeat rest of week from before with speeds and distance from beginning of week.

Week 4 = Repeat Week 3 workout exactly

From here I slowly increased distances (not paces) every week

By week 6 (yes 6), I ran in a 10 mile race and did it at 7:45 min/mile pace. So in just 6 weeks I shaved over a min off my mile times and doubled my distance. And I credit that from the importance of the speed workouts ALONG with the longer edurance runs.

If you notice I utilize speed A LOT but something that many people don't realize is that Speed days also include significant distances (Week 2 speed workouts have a total distance of 2 miles, Week 3 has 2.5 miles) So you are not only working on speed but by doing that, you are getting the endurance you need also.

I see too many (adults mostly) that just go out and run 3 miles all day everyday at the same pace but then don't know why there 5k times aren't faster? Compared to high school and college runners who when they train DO A TON OF SPEED WORK. And I know this program is more geared for the 'beginning runner', I was just using that as backup for speed importance.

To close I'd like to share some quotes that I tell myself to help with motivation:

"If you are tired of starting over, you have to stop giving up"

"Blood, Sweat, and Respect, the first 2 are given, the last 1 is earned"

My personal favorite =

"When you start hurting and feel like stopping. Get mad that you are getting tired and run faster"

(this one literally works for me, when I'm training and have a mile to go and my body is telling me to stop/slow I literally get pissed that I am getting tired that I push harder and run faster)

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...