Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

531 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: May 4, 2013 10:59 PM by JC2017 RSS
tomh0509 Rookie 2 posts since
May 3, 2013
Currently Being Moderated

May 3, 2013 11:44 AM

Running Injury

I've been running about 2-3 times per week for the last 8 months, but recently I started getting a sharp stabbing pain in the back of my left thigh.  Its frequency is intermittent, and occurs in all situations(e.g., reclining, driving the car, etc.)  Last night when I started running, it started up but subsided after a bit (without any conscious adjustment.)  However, when I was watching TV later on that night it started up again.  Does this sound like a hamstring injury, or something else? Thanks for the input!

• JamesJohnsonLMT Legend 1,160 posts since
    Aug 23, 2009
    1. May 4, 2013 10:57 AM (in response to tomh0509)
    Running Injury

A portion of the muscle is probably starving for circulation, which is why many sedentary activities set it off. The circulation of exercise seems to help, but it is more important to know why the problem exists.

In 8 months of running, there has been enough time to develop tightness in the hamstrings and in some cases, actual injury. I'm more in favor of tightness and spasm, which can be quite painful, and would probably respond better to exercise than a tear or "pull."

Resting activities, however, are much more tricky. Sitting or laying with knees bent can shorten the muscle and aggravate the problem. Car seats can pinch off circulation in athletic hamstrings, just when they need more breathing room.

I often approach my own hamstring soreness with self-massage in a chair, by lifting the leg slightly, cupping both hands under, and sinking the fingertips into the rear thigh to probe for sore spots. A basic muscle flush would glide from knee to butt, and encourages lymphatic flow. This can also be accomplished with soaped fingers by lifting the leg slightly in the shower.

Ease up on your running a bit, and let the hamstrings heal, with a bit of help as described above.

You'll bounce back within a few days to weeks, and good luck!

• JC2017 Rookie 7 posts since
    Apr 2, 2008
    3. May 4, 2013 10:59 PM (in response to tomh0509)
    Running Injury

its better to be safe than sorry go to your doctor and rule out the possibility of a clot in the leg, there was a situation like that that I heard ended badly.

JC

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points