Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

483 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: May 5, 2013 5:32 PM by dxwalker RSS
bkleindl Rookie 1 posts since
May 3, 2013
Currently Being Moderated

May 3, 2013 6:39 PM

New runner

Hi I am new here and at running. Really need any tips you can give me, I have just started running.  I am just learning and I noticed that I feel like I run like an elephant. Boom Boom  How do I change this or will it get better as I run?

• MegaDan88 Amateur 26 posts since
    Mar 1, 2013
    1. May 4, 2013 11:43 PM (in response to bkleindl)
    New runner

There will probably be somebody with more posts than I that will answer this. I don't know how old you are, how much you weigh, and so forth. But I think most would say these few things:

1. Get fitted for good running shoes. Motion control shoes for pronators especially (I wear motion control shoes)

2. don't start too hard, too fast. Build the slim base you start with and go from there. warm up and stretch, cool down after workout and stretch

3. What are your goals? Make short, medium, and long term goals and go out to achieve them. Hal Higdon site and active site have some sample training programs for 5k up to marathon. I take bits and pieces of things and try to make something work for me and my busy schedule.

4. Consider cross training like elliptical, bike, rowing, swimming, stair climbing, to aid in your running especially in the beginning if you are out of shape or overweight. Work on weight loss and dieting.

5. As you get in shape and loss weight, running does get "easier"; I prefer the word better. As you accomplish goals, you want to accomplish new goals and it's always challenging but that is what makes it worthwhile, yes?

6. Use a lubricant or something to help with chaff.

That's kind of what I got for the limited info.

Run Forest Run

~D

"The woods are lovely, dark and deep.

But I have promises to keep,

And miles to go before I sleep,

And miles to go before I sleep."

Robert Frost

Los Angeles Marathon on March of 1994: 3 hr 28 min 9 sec

Run with Santa 5k on 12/22/12: 25 min 19 sec

Mardi Gras 5k on 02/09/13: 24 min 50 sec

Cirque Du Soleil 5k on 03/16/13: 23 min 33 sec

Douglas Green Memorial 5k on 05/18/13: 22 min 47 sec

4th of July 5k Blast on 07/04/13:???

• MatthewDelp Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 23, 2012
    2. May 5, 2013 5:19 AM (in response to bkleindl)
    New runner

bkleindl,

This will get better the longer you have been running.  I have a friend who does the same thing, sounds like he is trying to break something every time his feet hit the ground.  The advice I gave him was to go slow and actually pay attention to how he was landing on his feet.  As you are running try to figure out what you are doing wrong and fix it.  Over time you will develop your stride better and start landing softer but this is just something to help you out now.   Hope it helps some.

• dxwalker Rookie 3 posts since
    Dec 24, 2012
    3. May 5, 2013 5:32 PM (in response to MatthewDelp)
    New runner

This is great advice. I've been running on a treadmill and feel that I'm doing it all wrong. So many things to pay attention too at first, landing, breathing (and oh so much on breathing). I hope to get it soon!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points