I have a problem with tight hams. When running distances in excess of 8 or 9 miles this sometimes becomes a very uncomfortable problem.
I'm looking for recommendations for how to relieve this tightness.
Among the recommendations that I've received in the past are:
- modify my stride on a regular basis, i.e. don't get stuck on the same stride/kick/pace. (sort of helpful)
- run backwards every mile or so for a few yards (very awkward and I'm not sure that it helps)
- try different shoes (I have experimented with various, not much luck there)
- make sure to stretch and warm up prior to the long run (I do this religiously without fail - tightness remains)
- rub the back of the hamstring (an up or down motion) to make relieve the tension point (kind of works)
Any other ideas?