Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2273177 Views 11,399 Replies Latest reply: Oct 3, 2014 9:50 AM by Kelly1066 Go to original post 1 ... 720 721 722 723 724 ... 760 Previous Next
  • itsmechris Rookie 1 posts since
    May 1, 2013
    Currently Being Moderated
    10,815. May 1, 2013 7:37 PM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

I am so glad I found this. I am a big guy, 6ft 318 lbs. I dropped 100 pounds and hit a plateau so started to run. I was training for a 10 K and hurt my foot tendon. So I backed off the distance and started using the exercise bike.

Anyway, it's hard to find any training info for us big folks to run. I am really interested in finding workouts if anyone can steer me in that direction.

Thanks!

• adamheimann Legend 523 posts since
    Apr 17, 2013
    10,816. May 2, 2013 10:08 AM (in response to itsmechris)
    200+ Pound Club!

I would also love to find out about reccomended workouts to supplment a new running routine!

• SeeFluffyRun Legend 251 posts since
    Sep 2, 2009
    10,817. May 2, 2013 4:18 PM (in response to adamheimann)
    200+ Pound Club!

Alot of people I know bike on their off days.  I do lower and upper body work on my off days.  I do alot of squats and lunges on my lower body days. I also work on my calves...I seem to have calves that tighten up so I have to stretch them alot when working out.

I like Zumba also...when done correctly, your thighs will burn and you will feel it on your next run.  

Graduated C25K 08/09/2009

Restarted 04/01/2013

Follow me on my journey: SEEFLUFFYRUN

Twitter: @SeeFluffyRun

Facebook: SeeFluffyRun

Blog: seefluffyrun.blogspot.com

• CallmeML Rookie 1 posts since
    May 2, 2013
    10,818. May 2, 2013 6:48 PM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

Hi all.  I am new to the site. I completed my first 5K in January but it was mostly walking.  I did not follow the couch to 5K program and was glad to just finish the race.  I'm really tempted to sign up for a half marathon in November.  6 months should be enought to train, right?  Even for someone really out of shape? 

My main problem is I don't have a support group.  My husband is supportive of my goals but not interested in running himself.  A few days ago I was in a hotel workout room and there was a very in shape woman next to me on the treadmill.  She was doing some sort of running/walking interval and I found I just natually kept up to her (or at least tried). It was a great motivator.  When I'm running by myself I give up faster or walk slower.  Does that make sense?

Happy to be here to follow you all on your path.

Sep 2, 2009
    10,819. May 2, 2013 7:59 PM (in response to CallmeML)
    200+ Pound Club!

Hi ML welcome!  You seem to be comfortable running with others , have you thought about joining a running group or going to meetup.com and seeing if there is an group of people in your area with the same interests?

running groups have people that range from...never ran in their life to training for a marathon.  to me, it sounds like that is right up your alley.  I find I can't pace myself around others.  I want to go as fast as the fastest and I pooter out too soon.  LOL

Yeah you can do a 1/2 in November as long as you are consistent in your training and don't push so hard that you get an injury.

Restarted 04/01/2013

• hoofinit83 Rookie 2 posts since
    Apr 10, 2013
    10,820. May 3, 2013 8:02 AM (in response to SeeFluffyRun)
    200+ Pound Club!

Thanks Fluffy! I have sighned up for a half marathon in October, and have yet to decide if I'm crazy or not... lol I have also recently become interested in triathlon, which will force me to cross train! I have had my share of injuries, so I am well aware of the need to mix it up. And yes, I too hate to be passed by walkers

• GloriaSiler Rookie 3 posts since
    Jan 22, 2013
    10,821. May 3, 2013 3:26 PM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

I am 200+ and have planned on running the RitaAid Marathon in two weeks. I am glad to meet you all!!!!164918_10201276388214097_318240258_n.jpg

• edensacres Pro 197 posts since
    Jun 19, 2010
    10,822. May 7, 2013 9:26 AM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

I am a lurker on this thread, more than I post but I had to share...yet another 200 lbs female has conquered a half marathon! Here's my race report

The Flying Pig Marathon Weekend was a great success.  First a shout out to my 6 year old daughter who ran 25- 1 mile segments leading up to the weekend and then ran the 26th mile with 3,000 other kids on Saturday.    I ran the half (my first) on Sunday.  What an amazing experience.  There was a rainbow at the starting line, 50 degrees and crowds like this West Virginia woman has never seen for a race.  Of course I started out too fast.  At mile three I mandated a run walk of 5/1 for myself and began to take it all in. Walking on the bridge over the Ohio, kissing Elvis in Eden Park, thanking the numerous police officers and volunteers, singing out load, the smile never left my face. At mile 8 a light rain started, but it  was refreshing.  I  had  some knee issues during my last 5 weeks of training, so I cut back to 2 runs a week,  (including the scheduled long runs), skipped all remaining hill repeats and rode the bike for a third cardio activity.  Race day my knee presented no problems, my endurance was up to task and the climb during miles 6-9 was doable at the slower pace.   As I look back I realize that there was NEVER a moment where I questioned my ability to do this, once I lined up at the start. At mile 13 I saw my husband and daughter, stopped and gave them both a kiss and thanked them for all there support throughout my training, and then hightailed it to the finish.  Overall, I ran slow enough to enjoy it 3:04, and to know that next year I will crush this PR.

For those just starting, like many overwieght runners, I suffered some setbacks along the way that I may not have had to deal with if I wasnt carrying extra weight.  But each time I started back, it was easier.  I learmed that my pace is my pace and there is nothing wrong with taking walk breaks.  I still don't love running but man do I feel good afterwards, especially when I'm taking that post run shower.  If you want to do something like this, take it in small steps, repeat weeks, take step down weeks to give your body a break, and celebrate the small successess and never forget how hard week 1 was, or that first 20 minute run. Learning to run 3 miles was harder than learning to run 6.  And once I got to 6, I knew (deep deep down) that I could do 13. My longest run up to race day was 10, and again, I never had a moments doubt.

Good luck to you all and Happy Running!

Stephanie

Started C25K 3/29/11 for the third time - Graduated 7/1/11 - some of us take longer

Completed Races

Webster Co. Woodchopping Festival 5K (5/28/11) 38:03 "Holy crap! Did he just say 38 something? I was hopinig for 45 minutes"

Never underestimate yourself!

That Dam Race 5K 7/23/11 44:46 - a challenging route & a hot day- but I will do better next year!

"Run for the Ta-Ta's 5K 10/29/11 39:54 in the snow!

Woodchoppers 5K 5/26/12 36:08 My 5 year old was 5 minutes behind me. Way to go Liat!

Fly By 10k 6/16/12 1:24:12

And the dream race...

"Flying Pig Half Marathon" Cincinnati, OH (May 2013)

Sep 2, 2009
    10,823. May 7, 2013 11:50 AM (in response to edensacres)
    200+ Pound Club!

That is awesome Eden!  yeah, there is something about a cool refreshing tub and/or shower after a hot run...it is one of my favorite things.  I am glad to hear the knee didn't give you problems.  I have a question...why is it calling a Flying Pig?

Gloria, you race is next week. Are you excited?  So what has this week been like for you? What if anything are you doing different this week than what you normally do any given week? Are you going to post to Facebook while on the run? Remember to post some pics when you are done.

Restarted 04/01/2013

• jwescott68 Rookie 2 posts since
    Apr 5, 2013
    10,824. May 8, 2013 7:32 AM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

Hi, I'm also a 200+ newbie "Runner"

My first question is what is C25K?...

Now about me :-) I finished my first of many 5K & 10K runs on 5/5/2013 the OC Marathon at 50:11 which according to my GPS Runkeeper is my best time to date! YEA! My goal is to run the Disneyland Tinker 1/2 Marathon in January 2014. Depending on how I'm doing in July when registration starts will depend on if I push my goal back to August 2014 and the Disneyland Marathon Weekend and just run the 10K. I'm hopeful... I have runs planned for most weekend until August 31 which I have registered for the 10K Disneyland 1/2 Marathon Weekend.

I'm hopeing that training for these runs will help me finally shed my excess 100+ pounds. I have been trining for the 5K OC Marathon for about a month but have not lost any weight so obviously I'm not eating correctly or something. I have over 50 miles in for the month of April and a pretty good start with May with 10+... I am heading back to WW tomorrow... I'm paying for it I really should use it, right?

Any advice from those of you that have been where I am now? I'm getting my miles in and my pace is getting better but I know I will never be able to finish a 1/2 Marathon at my current weight and I have yet to compete in a 10K so I'm not sure how well I am going to do there. My first 10K is May 27... Really nervious about that one!

Apr 17, 2013
    10,825. May 8, 2013 8:48 AM (in response to jwescott68)
    200+ Pound Club!

C25K- Couch to 5K is a training program for people who want to run a 5K. The program walks you through the sets week by week for 8-9 weeks. You can download a smart phone app that will guide you as you run/walk.

Great work so far! You are doing amazing! As far as running but not dropping the weight. For me- cutting out processed sugar and gluten products has been a game changer. Pretty much fruits, veggies, beans and rice for this guy and I feel great! GOod luck!

• BigPreacher Rookie 1 posts since
    May 8, 2013
    10,826. May 8, 2013 8:58 AM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

Hey everyone, I am the guy who lifted weights and all of that jazz but I told a good friend of mine last year this time,  who himself lost 120lbs by starting a running program that i wanted to reinvent myself. I have been heavy my whole life and was about to turn 40 and knew for my long term health I could not keep carrying around 330+ lbs.  Well long story short at my friends encouragement I went and bout a pair of running shoes and got out there. I have always hating running and to complicate matter I am asthmatic but I went.  last august I ran my first 5k race at 310lbs and in January of 2013 I ran my first half marathon at 285lbs. My goal is to get down to 220lbs. Its gets hard sometimes for us all sometimes I know and some days you just don't "want to."  Well let me share the words that my friend shared with me and hopefully it will keep you motivated as it does me; he said, "two things you need to know, first if you are waiting on "want to" he aint coming and second no matter what don't stop." Simple words but this is what gets me through the ache of the run from the day before, its too cold, its too hot, I don't have time etc. Be Encouraged!

• Rainbowgirl415 Rookie 1 posts since
    May 8, 2013
    10,827. May 8, 2013 11:43 AM (in response to BigPreacher)
    200+ Pound Club!

Thanks for sharing Big Preacher!!! This sounds like my situation exactly but I am a female of course!! I did do my first 5k and completed in 42 minutes my goal right now is under 37 and I am at 289lbs. Your post was very encouraging!! Thanks! I am a newbie and I need as much encouragement as I can get!!!!!

• jwescott68 Rookie 2 posts since
    Apr 5, 2013
    10,828. May 8, 2013 11:56 AM (in response to adamheimann)
    200+ Pound Club!

Thanks for the encourgement! It's hard to know if the way I'm training is correct. I was 'running' everyday and then was told I was over training so I dropped to 3X per week and weight training at least twice a week. I'm going to the gym and using the elliptical (raining in SoCal) to try to increase my endurance and reduce the impact on my knees and ankles... Hopefully it will increase my pace! I have been able to do 5 miles in 66 minutes down from 90 minutes in about 6 weeks.

Apr 17, 2013
    10,829. May 9, 2013 9:11 AM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

Very good words of encouragement Big Preacher! I hope you continue to share your story with the rest of us!!

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...