Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

439 Views 1 Reply Latest reply: May 7, 2013 1:34 PM by NzAndy
Karrie322 Rookie 1 posts since
May 5, 2013
Currently Being Moderated

May 5, 2013 9:53 PM

Over the road truck driver & new to running

I started running 3 times a week in November and ran my first 5k in April. I have my next one May 25 & I'm starting to train for a 10k. I love what running has done for me physically and mentally but still struggle staying motivated and welcome any tips to keep things fresh and exciting.

Attachments:
  • NzAndy Pro 77 posts since
    Oct 23, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    1. May 7, 2013 1:34 PM (in response to Karrie322)
    Over the road truck driver & new to running

Keeping motivated is something everyone faces, so there's as many solutions as there are runners.  Here's a few that my friends and I use, some might work for you or give you ideas.

- join a group.  Ok, your job may make this a little harder but getting to know others and running with them is one of the best ways.

- sign up for more races.  I use this one and it works because fear of failure is a big deal to me.  I've finished every race I started even though some were not pretty and I ended up in the med tent after my half ironman.  I refuse to quit during a race so training to be ready for it is essential and is a serious motivator.

- pick a challenging race.  My half IM was a classic example.  This was a 9 month lead up and I struggled in the heat on the day but more normal challenges like half marathons are enough to get me out the door too.

Some other things to remember:

- nobody stays highly motivated all the time.  Take a break for a month or two and just do easy fun stuff.  After a big event you'll need the time off to recover anyway so don't feel you need to keep training.

- it's hard to stay highly motivated on long build ups to a big event.  When I do a big event which for me is anything that takes over 4 hours I take several months to train up.  Usually by the time the event rolls around I'm ready to be done with it and relax again.  I've actually had  1 event where I decided I was tired of training hard a month out which is peaking way too early.

- keep it fun and the base fitness will improve making everything else easier to do.  Add some variety and don't put so much pressure on yourself to stick rigidly to a training plan.  Cross training is great for this.  I do triathlons for fun and play beach volleyball for something different that still demands I be able to play hard for a few hours.

In the end you'll do fine so relax and enjoy the race.  The only pressure you feel to train up is what you put on yourself.  I don't think I've completed a half marathon yet that I haven't walked part of the course, but I finished all 4 of them and that's all I really care about.

Let us know how the race goes.

Andy

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...