Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

560 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: May 7, 2013 4:55 PM by catwoman1 RSS
catwoman1 Expert 40 posts since
May 28, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 25, 2013 4:48 PM

Tingling in knee

I think I have runners knee. The left knee seems wobbly during runs, but doesn't hurt, just tingles, even after I run. Don't notice it as much when racing/doing speedwork, maybe because my form's better/I have more momemtum. I know my left side is weaker than my right. I've been trying to do more leg raises to strengthen the left quads. Just wondering whether running w/this tingling sensation might do any harm and what else I can do to remedy.

• JamesJohnsonLMT Legend 1,160 posts since
    Aug 23, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    1. Apr 28, 2013 12:41 PM (in response to catwoman1)
    Re: Tingling in knee

Of course there is the possibility you can do more harm by running on an injury, which is why most doctors tell people not to run through pain. It's not that they want to steal your joy, but to allow you a better chance of pain-free running later. Yes, you can run through some problems and get over them. I have before, and I know that once you catch the running bug, it's hard to stand down. However, tingling in the knee, though not always indicative of a major injury, can be a sign of a serious problem.

One of the leading causes of tingling in the knees/legs is a back injury, specifically pressure from the lumber vertebrae on nerves exiting to the legs. It can be a symptom of Sciatica, which involves the Sciatic nerve root, and possibly some of its branches, depending on where the pressure occurs.

That being said, there is a false sciatica that can be caused by the Piriformis muscle deep to the Glutes, a pain syndrome known as Piriformis syndrome, which sometimes includes this symptom, but most often many others. There can also be pressure between the upper gluteal muscles that can affect both nerves and circulation.

Since your symptoms are confined to the knee, it's tough to say with any certainty what the problem actually is without an examination. There are alternative explanations to nerve impingement, such as an actual circulatory problem, like a clot, arterial plaque, a cyst, or scar tissue. The fact that you say the knee is "wobbly" is bothersome.

My advice is to try the strengthening exercises you mentioned, noting whether the problem is worse during use of the legs during these exercise, or only when the impact of running is involved. That can go a long way toward solving this problem. Also, try crossing one knee over the other while seated, leaning forward, and noting any differences in how you feel when switching sides. Stretching the Piriformis in this way can also be revealing.

If you are puzzled or symptoms continue, consult a physician or physical therapist who is qualified to test and assess your condition. Meanwhile, some massage to the quads near the knee can sometimes work nicely in conjunction with strengthening exercises to make sure tightness or failure to contract is not due to knots in the quad muscles that continue through training. A healthy and relaxed fully functional set of quads is necessary to knee health. Good luck!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=g8grUjbfOv8

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...