Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

906 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Nov 3, 2013 9:37 AM by lenzlaw
NicoleSilvia Rookie 1 posts since
Jun 25, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

May 8, 2013 6:32 PM

Help! Feel like Crap! Lifting Weights with Running Bad?

I am a 30 year old woman. I'm sore and tired a lot lately Please help me figure out why!

Okay, so maybe this has nothing to do with my workout routine and more to do with something else like lack of sleep, poor quality mattress, my annoying asthma that lasts for the first mile every single run, stress in my life, my job and the hours I work, maybe a physical problem like a hormone issue that has gone unfound???

I am training for my first half marathon. I've run a few 5k's and decided to adapt a routine based on Hal Hagden's beginner routine for 12 weeks.

His training program is pretty laid back. You run a day, cross train a day (but it's also kind of a rest time). As of now, I lift weights 2x week (heavy weights, like squat rack, bench press, dead lifts, etc) and I run at least 3x week. I don't feel like my body is recovering. I'm sore and tired a lot. I used to be a competitive kickboxer, and back then I trained and pushed myself wayyyyy more than this, yet I felt good and energized.

I really want to feel better. I went out and bought fantastic shoes, I use my useless inhaler, I try to pace myself accordingly, etc. I honestly am so frustrated that I am considering spending whatever $$$ it takes for a new mattress (although I don't have much $$$, so if it doesn't help I will be very upset), I've even considered looking for another job because I wonder if it's the long shifts ( I work three 12hr shifts at a hospital)... now I'm worried I have some sort of illness or imbalance (but I've complained before, had bloodwork done, everything seems fine) Now I'm wondering if the weight lifting is interfering with the running because last time I ran I felt so burnt out I assumed that must be it!

A few years ago, I would run and feel like I had a cup of coffee. Now when I run, I feel good after, but like I need a nap.. am I just getting old already???

It's very frustrating.. any advice please?

Oh, a couple more things about me. I am a single mom of two and sometimes work a second job... My kickboxing/MMA competition days lasted about 5 years and officially ended last May. I was totally ripped at my peak and gained a ton of weight when I quit.. which is part of why I took this up, because I'm a person who needs goals and likes challenges.

• jlowe308 Rookie 1 posts since
    May 8, 2013

I workout as well and I am 38. The one question that i would ask is are you eating right,wearing compression pants and staying hydrated well? I lift weights alot and run alot and if you don't have enough fuel you become really fatigued really quick and you will stay that way. Compression pants help the myscles alot and they help prevent lots of stress on the muscles and soreness. Good shoes are a must and that does not mean Nike only just ones that feel good when your running and offering lots of support.I have been tired alot myself lately too but that is basically because i put the wrong things into my body and that in itself will mess you up too. Get plenty of sleep and your gonna be fine. The reason we gain weight afterwards is because we fall back into old eating patterns. Hope this helps somewhat. By the way have a protein bar after working out that is a plus. Jule

• Kristen67 Rookie 1 posts since
    Nov 30, 2010

I am also training for another half and cross training with weights and occasional yoga or swimming. I am 45 years old and feel awesome after I workout but notice a fatigue a few hours later and on days I don't work out. I work 3 12 hr days at a hospital too.  My labwork is normal, I sleep 7-10hrs a night, try to eat healthy. I am so interested in the cause but I think it's just not enough rest?

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,431 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008

You may be overtraining. Have you made recent increases in your training levels?  More miles? Faster pace? (Both??) Increased weight? Also make sure you are getting adequate recovery time between workouts, particularly (IMO) between weights and running.

Len

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points