Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

5429 Views 19 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2013 11:33 AM by lawiant RSS 1 2 Previous Next
KelseySpencer Amateur 13 posts since
May 2, 2013
Currently Being Moderated

May 3, 2013 7:39 AM

Running my first 5k in a week!

So I've never run three miles straight in my life, but I've come close--I've run almost two and a half miles on the treadmill a few days ago. I've started to take runs around my neighborhood, too, and now I'm using MapQuest to map out distances between various places in my city.

I downloaded a running app onto my phone and it linked to events in my city; I saw that a 5k run was scheduled for next Saturday, so I, more or less on impulse, signed up for it. I know, I'm crazy to do this when I've only done a bit of street running over the past few days and quite a bit of running on the treadmill over the past few months, but I'm determined to do this. I just have to run a bit farther to total three miles. I can do this.

I can't wait!

Is or has anyone ever been in a similar boat?

• codeseo Rookie 1 posts since
    May 3, 2013
    1. May 3, 2013 11:52 AM (in response to KelseySpencer)

Best of luck Spencer! Would love to do it myself sometime in future.

• offmycouch Pro 70 posts since
    Jun 22, 2011
    3. May 6, 2013 2:06 PM (in response to KelseySpencer)

After a year, I still can't run a 5K without walking a bit.  I run a mile, then walk a little, run walk run...so on.  I signed up for my first 5K a year ago and was so nervous about it, I felt sick to my tummy.  But after I got there, I was excited.  It's fun being around all of these people that like to run. 

I still don't run on the road very much (I live in Wisc and we are just getting our spring weather this week!!) so I use the treadmill more than anything. ..and am not very strict about a running schedule.  I should be better about that.   In my humble opinion, running on the treadmill is a lot easier...but running on the road is much more fun.    Running with others will also push you....in a good way. 

I did my first 5K since October a few weeks ago and it was tough for me, but so glad I did it.  You will be glad you did it too!!  Best of luck to you ~ you will probably do better than you expect!!

Kris

• SeeFluffyRun Legend 251 posts since
    Sep 2, 2009
    4. May 7, 2013 12:00 PM (in response to offmycouch)

Good luck Kelsey!  Have fun doing it.  I am sure you will do great.

Graduated C25K 08/09/2009

Restarted 04/01/2013

Follow me on my journey: SEEFLUFFYRUN

Twitter: @SeeFluffyRun

Facebook: SeeFluffyRun

Blog: seefluffyrun.blogspot.com

• Interspace8 Amateur 12 posts since
    Jun 5, 2009
    5. May 8, 2013 9:52 AM (in response to KelseySpencer)

Kelsey you'll do great!  It's exciting to run your first 5K.  Just don't start out too fast.  All the adrenalin, excitement, nerves, and people around you will probably make you want to run faster than usual right outside the box.  Just stick to the pace that you're comfortable with, and if you feel good enough to do it, ramp it up towards the end.  Most of all, ENJOY it!  It's your first 5K!  

• Julie Ann Hackett Legend 228 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    6. May 8, 2013 10:41 AM (in response to KelseySpencer)

The best racing advice I ever got was to be sure you enjoy your first race at a particular distance because that's the one you'll remember.  Savor the day, enjoy the race and be proud of yourself.  Good luck!

• Geeknerdwonk Amateur 8 posts since
    May 5, 2013
    7. May 8, 2013 11:05 AM (in response to KelseySpencer)

Spencer, I have just started a Couch to 5K program, am on week 2, this is my first post here, and first one read. You give me so much hope, as long as I can continue to put in the work. I've always tackled my toughest problems with community support (smoking, drinking) and realized I was really longing for community support as I teach myself how to run.

I wish you huge good luck.  Don't think of what you cannot do but what you CAN do and know you are inspiring beginning runners.

• Trudy10060 Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 23, 2009
    8. May 8, 2013 11:09 AM (in response to KelseySpencer)

Kelsey, I am running my first 5K next weekend too. Only just decided to do it two weeks ago. I have been walking the Avon Walk (39 Miles) for years, but never ran. Starting looking at this site to get tips, and have received a ton of info. Ran almost 2 miles today. concentraing on my breathing, not the distance this time. Much easier. so, I figure by the end of next week, I will be able to do the 5K and survive. already have my massage scheduled.  Good Luck.

• Geeknerdwonk Amateur 8 posts since
    May 5, 2013
    9. May 8, 2013 11:24 AM (in response to Trudy10060)

Go Trudy! Kudos on massage scheduled! Kudos on Avon walks!

• DidntFinishLast Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 12, 2012
    10. May 8, 2013 2:17 PM (in response to KelseySpencer)

Good for you! If it's a 5K Walk/Run you have nothing to worry about, if you have to walk, it's okay! I too have to stop and walk once in a while, it's perfectly fine. Good for you for taking the first step!

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...