Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

344 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: May 10, 2013 5:13 AM by KelseySpencer RSS
Geeknerdwonk Amateur 8 posts since
May 5, 2013
Currently Being Moderated

May 8, 2013 11:44 AM

JUST FOUND Y'ALL!  YAHOO!

I am just over the moon that I found this community.  I am recovering from a concussion (unrelated), and trying to peel off the 40 pounds I put on in its aftermath.  I have been in my life a serious gymnast and diver, and still do a lot of adventure sports (trapeze, bungee jumping, whitewater rafting, skiing etc).

I have had a love hate relationship with the gym since my youth.  Right now, the treadmill in the gym where I live is the right choice for me, while I tackle ONCE AGAIN, C25K.  Before the concussion I had gotten to or through Week 4, now I am on Week 2.

The main reason I am writing is to introduce myself (if there is a special place to do that, I am sorry I don't know).  I am 51, female, live in Los Angeles but commute a lot to New York doing law and public health work.  I can't type more than a sentence without mentioning my two dogs (my two children are grown and out, and get a lot less mentioning).

I truly know that my age things will either go downhill or I can snatch myself from the grip of that, with discipline.  And for me to use my best discipline, I need people to whom to be accountable, and people to support, and people to support me. 

Everything I have ever done that is truly challenging I have done with community support.  I quit drinking 16 1/2 years ago and quit smoking 6 1/2 years ago, both with support.  How I thought I could teach myself not only to run but to WANT TO RUN without community support amazes me! 

Thanks for reading, and welcoming another newbie!  Again, so grateful to have found y'all!

Thank you all for being there!

• SeeFluffyRun Legend 251 posts since
    Sep 2, 2009
    1. May 9, 2013 9:59 PM (in response to Geeknerdwonk)
    JUST FOUND Y'ALL! YAHOO!

Hi Geeknerdwonk...interesting name...care to share how you came up with it?  I am Seefluffyrun...pretty obvious...I am fluffy and I run  ha ha

My sister didn't start running until she was 55 and she is doing an amazing job.

You are right. Community is everything.  I am surrounded by runners on my facebook page, my twitter, my pinterest and forums and even in my real life. Heck 5 out of 7 members of my bible study book are avid runners..ultramarathon runners and triathletes.It is the environment that has encouraged me to run.

I was just picked to join a group of women that will take the next year to train for their first marathon.  Yikes!!!  It consists of 14 women from around the world from all walks of life.  You can follow our journey on twitter using #fmrmc or #fattymustrunmarathonchallenge

How is the running coming along?

Graduated C25K 08/09/2009

Restarted 04/01/2013

Follow me on my journey: SEEFLUFFYRUN

Twitter: @SeeFluffyRun

Facebook: SeeFluffyRun

Blog: seefluffyrun.blogspot.com

• KelseySpencer Amateur 13 posts since
    May 2, 2013
    2. May 10, 2013 5:13 AM (in response to Geeknerdwonk)
    JUST FOUND Y'ALL! YAHOO!

Good for you for going at the C25K again, and while recovering from a concussion, too. Dang, that's impressive.

And bungee jumping and trapeze? Wow, that's some crazy stuff! (Crazy in a good way, you know.) After all that, running should be a snap for you! Haha.

Keep us updated on your progress, "Geeknerdwonk"! Be sure to tell us when you cross that finish line of your first 5k...!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...