Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

341 Views 1 Reply Latest reply: May 14, 2013 9:16 AM by JamesJohnsonLMT RSS
velocitysc43 Rookie 1 posts since
Jan 9, 2013
Currently Being Moderated

May 14, 2013 8:06 AM

Outside Foot Pain

I started running February and around that same time got fitted for running shoes and bought some super feet insoles. I haven't had any issues until recently I have pain in my right foot directly below my pinkie toe on just the side of my foot. There is no swelling or lumps it is just tender when walking and or running. I thought maybe my foot was rubbing on my shoe and so I wore a different pair while on the eliptical yesterday but after so long the pain started. My ankles ache a little bit too but that is tolerable. I haven't increased my mileage I only do about 10-12 miles a week 2-3 miles at a time. I wouldn't think it would be time to buy new shoes already but I feel like they aren't as supportive. Has anyone else had something similar? I might just buy another pair of shoes to rotate them out and see if that helps and if all else fails visit a doctor.

• JamesJohnsonLMT Legend 1,127 posts since
    Aug 23, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    1. May 14, 2013 9:16 AM (in response to velocitysc43)
    Outside Foot Pain

Ok, it sounds like you have tested the shoe theory somewhat, having them fitted, changing the insoles, trying a different pair. I don't think enough time has gone by to tell anything for sure, though. You haven't been running very long, and a few months of a shoe problem would not likely reverse in a few days.

What worries me some is your mention of "supportive" and ankle pain. There are some aches and pains that attend a new sport, but you have not been aggressive enough in this short span of time to run into abnormal symptoms, yet, it sounds like you are. I'm going to guess that the need for supportive footwear and special insoles means there is something about your feet hitting the ground that is inherently unstable.

While there are some doctors who specialize in athletics and biomechanics, most do not. Many would approach this problem in a way that might end your running dreams. Sports docs and many physical therapists, on the other hand, see bodies in motion as an integrated concept. A lot of running stores do a good job of fitting shoes to average biomechanics, but I'm willing to bet you do need someone with advanced training to sign off on your footwear, any orthotic appliances like superfeet, etc., and to hand you a definitive diagnosis of how well your anatomy and biomechanics are matched to your chosen sport. Something is not right.

I have seen over and over again, anatomical differences that are important to whether and how a runner will experience unusual pain. The structure and stability of your foot, as well as everything from the spine down, can affect what you feel where the rubber meets the road. Outside of the practice of medicine, there are many competing theories about how to run and what to wear to make it easier. Everything from barefoot running, to negative, neutral, and positive heels, supportive vs unstructured footwear, has adherents that swear by their theories. It doesn't help that almost every approach seems to help someone, no matter how opposite they are. This is why a professional understanding of your particular anatomy is so important.

In my case, I had an issue with the angle of my lower leg bones being different from the other side, due to breaking them in an accident years ago. There are also slight but important differences in how the metatarsal bones line up that, though common, are seen as abnormal. I experienced ankle, foot, leg, and hip pains during my early running years, without taking a serious look at how I was built. It took years to figure out how to adapt to these problems in a way that allowed me to run freely, but I was able to do so. If you persevere, you will get there too.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...