Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

681 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: May 14, 2013 7:27 PM by Normster3 RSS
laserjones16 Rookie 5 posts since
Jun 20, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

May 7, 2013 4:06 AM

50+ and getting my groove back

I am 53 and feeling every bit of it.  Used to be a runner. Used to be a tennis player. Used to be...Now, while I have wonderful children and a career, I have allowed my fitness to seriously decline.  Sitting behind a desk up to 10 hour a day has taken its toll not only on my waisteline.  Enough said.  I'm sure you can get where I going.  I am dedicating myself to getting back into shape (while juggling a million other things). I am looking for a group who would like to commit to the C25k program as well as better eating habits.  I will be starting on Monday.  Anyone else out there?

PS:  End goal.  Better fitness and a loss of 20 pounds.

• justamaniac Pro 138 posts since
    May 30, 2007
    1. May 7, 2013 9:13 AM (in response to laserjones16)

Go for it and don't stop.  I started running at 52, I'm 56 now, and it's been great.  I ran my first ever marathon at 54 (Chicago) and had an awsome experience. 

When I started runnning it was horrible - I couldn't run 1/4 mile if my life depended on it.  It took a long time before I was able to run a full mile without stopping, but I did it.  In the meantime I lost 20 lbs, and I don't miss them. I feel better, I eat better, my cardio-health is better.... it's all better.

But in fair warning, I have gone through a whole slew of injuries, mostly because of stupid enthusiasm and not knowing anything. 2012 was a disaster for me running-wise, but now I'm a bit older and hopefully a little wiser.

I've learned to buy good shoes from people that know about running, good socks, hydration and fueling, chiropractors and massus's.  My biggest lesson has been to listen carefully to my body - at this age (at least in my case), if it hurts, it's going to be a problem if not taken care of.

Good luck - have fun!  Make it a challenge!

-bill

http://runningthrutime.blogspot.com

• Billsr Pro 159 posts since
    May 23, 2009
    2. May 11, 2013 6:25 AM (in response to laserjones16)

I'm 52 and at age 47 I lost 60 pounds and started running. The key is getting into a routine and making it part of your day just like brushing your teeth or anything else that you do. No excuses just do it. If you stick with it you will succeed. As Billy said you will have problems because you are like an old car and will break down. The upside is that you will be in better health. I started by doing 4 minutes of walking on a treadmill and slowly increased it to where my normal workout is now  1 1/2 hours 6 days a week. Look for a local running group in your area. Often they will offer several running activities during the week.

-Bill

• Geeknerdwonk Amateur 8 posts since
    May 5, 2013
    3. May 12, 2013 7:20 PM (in response to Billsr)

What a huge inspiration Bill!!! Thanks for your story!

• Geeknerdwonk Amateur 8 posts since
    May 5, 2013
    4. May 12, 2013 7:22 PM (in response to laserjones16)

I am only on Week 2 of Couch to 5K and would happily be your buddy for both goals!!!

• Normster3 Rookie 1 posts since
    May 2, 2013
    5. May 14, 2013 7:27 PM (in response to laserjones16)

I feel your pain, Laserjones. I used to run in the late '70s but have been a sedentary smoker for the past 30 years. (Quit 3 months ago.) I'm doing week 5 day 3 of C25K tomorrow. I'm committed to running a 5k for my 62nd birthday...on Father's Day!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...